Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 20, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #12,557 of 18,754
I find using a NOS DAC is the perfect synergy for the TH900S. It brings out the mids and reinforces the bottomless bass of these cans with a bit of acoustic heft. It tamed the treble a little too. Sounds tubey but cleaner than a regular tube amp.

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #12,558 of 18,754
Feb 20, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #12,559 of 18,754
i think he's asking if the hd800 extracts or highlights more details in the recording than the th900

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #12,562 of 18,754
resolution See "definition."

definition (also resolution) That quality of sound reproduction which enables the listener to distinguish between, and follow the melodic lines of, the individual voices or instruments comprising a large performing group. See "focus."

focus The quality of being clearly defined, with sharply outlined phantom images. Focus has also been described as the enhanced ability to hear the brief moments of silence between the musical impulses in reproduced sound.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary-f-h#plDiOlB52dgf7qYc.99

The terms micro & macro detail and air that reviewers use come to mind.  Detail being able to distinguish more of the individual instruments where the sound of each doesn't congeal or blur/blend together and air being the ability to hear such minute details of very low volume of sounds during silence like a shoe moving, an artist breathing and also hearing the reverberation of those sounds in the venue.

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #12,563 of 18,754
Hd800 is higher resolution than th900 ?

In my experience it slightly is, but we are splitting hairs here. What I meant was EQ'ing the HD800S will not make it worse than the TH900 in this respect, so I could recommend trying it. Let's not absolutize this. The TH900 is certainly good enough on resolution, in the sense of revealing things. It's another thing that there are headphones that deliver this resolution in a smoother or clearer presentation. The HD800 is of the clearer type. The Stax 009 is both smoother and clearer. But they are close enough that if you like the TH900, you better care about music, sources and amps than the fear of losing on resolution per se.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #12,565 of 18,754
as zolkis said, we're splitting hairs here. the th900 has great clarity but you'd have to give the hd800 a hearing to answer your question.

and yes, we know all about your silver cables and balanced jacks.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #12,566 of 18,754
as zolkis said, we're splitting hairs here. the th900 has great clarity but you'd have to give the hd800 a hearing to answer your question.

and yes, we know all about your silver cables and balanced jacks.

I mean if somebody was to compare balanced hd800 vs stock th900, ofcourse there will be differences ? Hd800 has removable jacks, that make going balanced a breeze vs th900.

Now th900 MkII is being released, just in time. I wanted to make sure somebody stated the th900 has less clarity than hd800 did them both in a fair comparison

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #12,567 of 18,754
Ok Ill chime in on resolution and clarity concerning hd800S and th900 and yes its splitting hairs. The sound is just different. the hd800s is warmish and smooth, very well balanced so things stand out but not in a harsh way at all. Its just different. Im still in early days and really want to give it many hours. I hear stuff that i didnt quite notice in the th900 and believe me, visa versa.  But its the flavour, and these cans are about as different as it can get. I could see why th900 heads wouldnt relate to the hd series, but this isnt a dish to it, matter of fact what other audio hobby can you slap one can on for that vibe and another for that vibe. the more i listen to the S the more I like it, the mid instrument detail is very good, the flavour of instruments can settle in nice, vocals can assume a centre stage and nothing seems out of whack. Nothing dominates yet everything is heard. Its mids dont bite like the th900, the bass doesnt thumb the same way, but i tell you, for the luxury of listening im not putting em down. 
So clarity with in the context of balance and mid detail thats allowed to expose those notes, with in a warmish context, is what the 800S provides. I can see why folks would like either and why it would take an opportune listener, to like both. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #12,569 of 18,754
As has been stated here on Head-Fi since Napolean was a Private the 900 offers the musicality while the 800 offers the clarity.

Although have to say that at times the 800 feels like it wants to break out of that "sterile/analytical" stereotype with some good juice behind it.

(my reference to Napolean as a Private was meant not to offend anyone, come to think of it that actual joke referring to Napolean is as old as Napolean)

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #12,570 of 18,754
As has been stated here on Head-Fi since Napolean was a Private the 900 offers the musicality while the 800 offers the clarity.

Although have to say that at times the 800 feels like it wants to break out of that "sterile/analytical" stereotype with some good juice behind it.

(my reference to Napolean as a Private was meant not to offend anyone, come to think of it that actual joke referring to Napolean is as old as Napolean)

It needs juice, the good stuff to.:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back