Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #12,346 of 18,758
To clarify, I requested the Post movage myself, since I felt it was better suited to reside in the DAC section. Having said that, I got no feedback there, but very much here, so in conclusion here is the post for reference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/619974/amp-recommendations-for-fostex-th900/315#post_12221445 and I continue to discuss this here, since that thread seems to be dead. Oh the shortcoming of Web 1.0! (Discourse ftw)

My question remaining is, wheather you guys think that the DAC in the Asus Xonar STX is sub-highend (the amp is as we established) and wheather it is a good investment to look for a different DAC to source the V200 (and the TH900).

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #12,347 of 18,758
  To clarify, I requested the Post movage myself, since I felt it was better suited to reside in the DAC section. Having said that, I got no feedback there, but very much here, so in conclusion here is the post for reference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/619974/amp-recommendations-for-fostex-th900/315#post_12221445 and I continue to discuss this here, since that thread seems to be dead. Oh the shortcoming of Web 1.0! (Discourse ftw)

My question remaining is, wheather you guys think that the DAC in the Asus Xonar STX is sub-highend (the amp is as we established) and wheather it is a good investment to look for a different DAC to source the V200 (and the TH900).

i saw your posts a few times. I am not familiar with asus or v200 that may be your lack of response. Try those threads if they exist. A8 and TT are both very good and the A8 is cheap in comparison although i prefer the authority and detail of the TT

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #12,348 of 18,758

If it has a burbrown DAC ? I have rxv477 and it has burbrown as well...I don't like it with th900, I do like it with z7

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #12,349 of 18,758
Fostex TH900MK2 Page translated:

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fostex.jp%2Fproducts%2Fth900mk2%2F

From what I read, the only change is in the (now ugly) detachable 7N balanced cabling. Any comments?

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #12,351 of 18,758
I am really amazed at how many genres these headphones do well. Orchestral music is the most beautiful i have heard it, while rock has excellent intimacy and impact, and rap/electronic/dubstep all have great bass quantity/ impact. I don't think i have listened to a genre that sounds off on these. The sound signature is just so inviting.

PS: Never forget from the halo 3 ost is amazing. Check it out if you enjoy orchestral music.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #12,353 of 18,758
Looking to see if any TH900 owners can post earcup dimensions, I have large ears and wanted to make sure the fit is right. Thx

Grabbed a tape measure and measured the inner earpad diameter/depth.

2 1/2 inch diameter, and because the earpad is angled the depth is 7/8 inch deep on the thickest part and about half an inch deep on the thinnest part. The depth and diameter were measured to the inner stitching line of the earpad.

They have plenty of room for me. I'm sure i am slightly off in my measurements as i did it quickly, but if anyone else wants to post more accurate measurements go right ahead ^.^

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #12,354 of 18,758
  Looking to see if any TH900 owners can post earcup dimensions, I have large ears and wanted to make sure the fit is right. Thx

My ears touch the drivers. It sucks. There is no other way around this. Despite that they are very lightweight and comfrotable. The eggshell rocks. Cooler than real leather!

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #12,355 of 18,758

Quote:
  My ears touch the drivers. It sucks. There is no other way around this. Despite that they are very lightweight and comfrotable. The eggshell rocks. Cooler than real leather!

While depth may be a problem, it's unlikely that any of the eggshell padding will touch your ears. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #12,356 of 18,758

Lawton oversize angle pads may help you. I have a back up pair that i was comped but wont but them on till the egg membrane wears down, over 1.5 years and still perfect condition. But you can look into that.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #12,357 of 18,758
  Lawton oversize angle pads may help you. I have a back up pair that i was comped but wont but them on till the egg membrane wears down, over 1.5 years and still perfect condition. But you can look into that.

109 USD is quite steep. Since the original pads are angled already - are you sure they will push the drivers farther away from the ears?

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/anglepadinstructions.html

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #12,358 of 18,758

109 USD is quite steep. Since the original pads are angled already - are you sure they will push the drivers farther away from the ears?

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/anglepadinstructions.html

now that i look at them, I had to find them, There just a higher degree of angle. Ie one side is a touch fatter the other side is thinner than stock. So the back is fatter so it might help,... Sorry i was just guessing

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #12,359 of 18,758
  now that i look at them, I had to find them, There just a higher degree of angle. Ie one side is a touch fatter the other side is thinner than stock. So the back is fatter so it might help,... Sorry i was just guessing

Thanks for looking at your angled pads for us. Well I guess its not worth the upgrade if they "may do the job". I can bear the stock a little longer until a suitable upgrade emerges itself.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #12,360 of 18,758
I'm not sure what the higher angle will do sq wise. I got em free so when the stock wears down, I'll find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back