Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 24, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #12,121 of 18,737
Looks like a hd600-socket-modded th900 to me :)

I wish it was a 2.5mm connection though.

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #12,122 of 18,737
Looks like a hd600-socket-modded th900 to me :)

I wish it was a 2.5mm connection though.

Why not mod it ? Lol instead of wishing for the manufacture to make it the way thousand wishes would happen. Anyways, there is still no info about the drivers being a new unit at all. The only place is that Vietnamese site, and the guy doesn't even know what he was talking about for saying "1.5 Tesla and stronger than the last generation" ? What ? :D

Clues:
1/ same specs, even Tesla is the same rating
2/ thx00 and th600 has the same specs, a little different in the wording of Tesla rating.

I Doubt the th900 MKII has anything more than a few acoustic material for different tuning. I hope it is not like a whole new diagraphm using the older magnet though :D

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #12,123 of 18,737
For what it's worth think like a marketer to understand where fostex might go. It's frankly a lower price point or a higher one. The benefits in value or quality would reflect those target markets. They may tweak the existing th900 to serve a wider market, like mk11 seems to do by offering balanced cable option.
The only reason to offer more for the same or less is in response to competitive market destroyers, but look at the state of the market in the reference catagory. He1000 way more, lcd4 more than that. Orpheus for the 1% out there etc...

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #12,124 of 18,737
Why not mod it ? Lol instead of wishing for the manufacture to make it the way thousand wishes would happen. Anyways, there is still no info about the drivers being a new unit at all. The only place is that Vietnamese site, and the guy doesn't even know what he was talking about for saying "1.5 Tesla and stronger than the last generation" ? What ?
biggrin.gif

Clues:
1/ same specs, even Tesla is the same rating
2/ thx00 and th600 has the same specs, a little different in the wording of Tesla rating.

I Doubt the th900 MKII has anything more than a few acoustic material for different tuning. I hope it is not like a whole new diagraphm using the older magnet though
biggrin.gif

There is actually... See the product page I posted earlier. Translate it in Google Translate.

http://www.fostex.jp/products/th900mk2/

It says:

Magnetic flux density 1.5 tesla newly developed driver unit, bio Dina diaphragm, high-end sealed the lacquer Bordeaux finish of housing that strike a good beauty of the goods, the wire diameter was adopted optimized 7N (OFC) code every time you knock down stereo headphones, the corresponding reduction in detachable cable.

It says 1.5 tesla newly developed driver unit... It may still be 1.5 tesla, but it specifically says "newly developed driver unit". Fostex considers it as newly developed driver unit, not just acoustic material. Otherwise, why would they say newly developed driver?..

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #12,125 of 18,737
Need more info, the present driver is quite technical as is. Course maybe they found ways to improve it which would be a blow to the existing th900 product positioning. An evolution in driver tech would position a can for a new product segment in my opinion.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #12,126 of 18,737
●反発磁界採用の磁気回路は磁束密度1.5テスラの50mmドライバーユニットを搭載。低歪率で超強力磁気回路により広大なダイナミックレンジを提供

Swap to JapaneseFull screen close
● repulsive magnetic field adoption of the magnetic circuit is equipped with a 50mm driver unit of magnetic flux density 1.5 tesla . It provides a vast dynamic range by super strong magnetic circuit with low distortion rate

There is no "newly developed" by google translation. Unless Google is that ways off in translation

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #12,127 of 18,737
So far every description of the driver and composition of magnet seems identicle to th900 original. I mean you got to come up with some new biodyne or some superior magnet array or offer a new tech like static pulse (stax) etc. My guess this is a longer and more costly process than we may think.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #12,128 of 18,737
磁束密度1.5テスラの新開発ドライバー・ユニット、バイオダイナ振動板、使い込むごとに品の良い美しさを醸し出す漆・ボルドー仕上げのハウジング、線材径を最適化した7N(OFC)コードを採用したハイエンド密閉型ステレオヘッドホン、デタッチャブルケーブルに対応化。

Magnetic flux density 1.5 tesla newly developed driver unit, bio Dina diaphragm, high-end sealed the lacquer Bordeaux finish of housing that strike a good beauty of the goods, the wire diameter was adopted optimized 7N (OFC) code every time you knock down stereo headphones, the corresponding reduction in detachable cable.

You're translating the wrong part. Translate the part that includes "(OFC)" in it.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #12,129 of 18,737
So far every description of the driver and composition of magnet seems identicle to th900 original. I mean you got to come up with some new biodyne or some superior magnet array or offer a new tech like static pulse (stax) etc. My guess this is a longer and costly process than we may think.

Exactly my points as well. I mean it is all in the specifications.

50mm
25 ohms
100dm/mw
1.5 tesla

Exactly the same as th900. Yeah, unless the diaphragm designs were changed...there wouldn't be anything "newly developed" about this driver at all.

However th900 MKII sound quality may change as it may get re-tuned....and in reality, just a few mods that can alternate th900 sound signature.

1/ chambers resonances, reduces trebles spikes
2/ drivers foam rings, effectively changes bass/trebles frequency
3/ drivers back dampening material. Same as #2, but harder to custom
4/ ears pad

Especially the foam rings, which is the real controller of the drivers. Thx00 was effectively tuned to have better foward mid and less trebles than th600....and fostex confirmed the ears pad did just that ? Though the thx00 drivers were never truly disclosed

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #12,130 of 18,737
Well it will be interesting what "newly developed " driver unit means. That could be anything from redesign scematics, to considering changing composites to adhere to dampening considerations, to purely engineering efficiencies. Or it's a fundemental breakthrough. The latter from the descriptions seems unlikely but time will answer all questions.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #12,131 of 18,737
So far every description of the driver and composition of magnet seems identicle to th900 original. I mean you got to come up with some new biodyne or some superior magnet array or offer a new tech like static pulse (stax) etc. My guess this is a longer and costly process than we may think.

Exactly my points as well. I mean it is all in the specifications.

50mm
25 ohms
100dm/mw
1.5 tesla

Exactly the same as th900. Yeah, unless the diaphragm designs were changed...there wouldn't be anything "newly developed" about this driver at all.

However th900 MKII sound quality may change as it may get re-tuned....and in reality, just a few mods that can alternate th900 sound signature.

1/ chambers resonances, reduces trebles spikes
2/ drivers foam rings, effectively changes bass/trebles frequency
3/ drivers back dampening material. Same as #2, but harder to custom

Especially the foam rings, which is the real controller of the drivers.

Agree didn't see this post.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #12,132 of 18,737
If the Japanese press release claimed a different tuning I would trust Anak to have mentioned it! Besides it is same model number with a mk2 designation. Axel Grell says the HD800S is very close to the original. Even if the TH900 mk2 sound is tuned differently - and reminding no one has said that is the case at all - I do not anticipate how that will assist anyone who finds the TH900 mk1 too clean, or too bassy, or too hot. Look elsewhere instead of throwing money at it?

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #12,133 of 18,737
Maybe it's a slightly different driver like the TH-X00 compared to the TH600 driver where all the specs look the same but is supposedly slightly different. Maybe they applied the exact same changes to the TH900 drivers here as they did the TH600 drivers when they made the TH-X00 drivers. Makes sense to reuse innovations. In that case we should expect a more neutral signature, better refinement, and less peaky treble :)

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #12,134 of 18,737
If the Japanese press release claimed a different tuning I would trust Anak to have mentioned it! Besides it is same model number with a mk2 designation. Axel Grell says the HD800S is very close to the original. Even if the TH900 mk2 sound is tuned differently - and reminding no one has said that is the case at all - I do not anticipate how that will assist anyone who finds the TH900 mk1 too clean, or too bassy, or too hot. Look elsewhere instead of throwing money at it?

I agreed, and TH900 is surprisingly good. Before I decided to look at it I read many impressions saying it has trebles "spikes". Then when I have it, I found out that it only presents the "spikes" in bad recording . In Asia, TH900 sells quiet well, and for Asian cultures of genres as Ballads, modern-pop, EDM, the TH900 excels on good recording and gears. There are really no complains about it over Asia, and perhap they called it the "Modern King of Dynamic headphones" :D

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #12,135 of 18,737
Maybe it's a slightly different driver like the TH-X00 compared to the TH600 driver where all the specs look the same but is supposedly slightly different. Maybe they applied the exact same changes to the TH900 drivers here as they did the TH600 drivers when they made the TH-X00 drivers. Makes sense to reuse innovations. In that case we should expect a more neutral signature, better refinement, and less peaky treble :)

Just swap ears-pads, and the foam rings. The TH900 responds to mods very well. Perhap, th900 owners can just buy MKII pads and foam rings of that is the case :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back