Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #6,827 of 18,754
Hi guys, I just got my pair from a fellow head-fier and i'm in love with them, but my schiit lyr gives off a small hissing noise that isn't too noticable but is still kind of annoying when listening to tracks that have a small moment of silence. Anyone using their lyr with the th900s have any advice? I'm also willing to upgrade my headphone amp if necessary up to ~ 1.5k if anyone has any suggestions, but i'd like the amp to also have an rca out so i can run my speakers through them like I do with the lyr.  
Thanks!

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #6,829 of 18,754
  Hi guys, I just got my pair from a fellow head-fier and i'm in love with them, but my schiit lyr gives off a small hissing noise that isn't too noticable but is still kind of annoying when listening to tracks that have a small moment of silence. Anyone using their lyr with the th900s have any advice? I'm also willing to upgrade my headphone amp if necessary up to ~ 1.5k if anyone has any suggestions, but i'd like the amp to also have an rca out so i can run my speakers through them like I do with the lyr.  
Thanks!

It sounds like the Lyr is too powerful for the TH900.

I would actually not recommend desktop tube amps...most of them are going to be too strong for these as they are rather sensitive. Try something SS like the HP-A8. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #6,830 of 18,754

I would actually not recommend desktop tube amps...most of them are going to be too strong for these as they are rather sensitive. Try something SS like the HP-A8. 

+1. I think SS is the way to go and I stopped using the Lyr and switched to the Mjolnir. I think that's a very good combo and it does have RCA outs. I don't use speakers so I cannot comment about that aspect.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #6,831 of 18,754

+1. I think SS is the way to go and I stopped using the Lyr and switched to the Mjolnir. I think that's a very good combo and it does have RCA outs. I don't use speakers so I cannot comment about that aspect.

Thanks for the replies. I don't mind going solid state, but i like the warmth the tubes provide to the mids alot. I've been looking into the burson soloist what do you think of yours with the th900s compared to the lyr/mjolnir? I'd rather not have to recable them for the mjolnir though since I have beyerdynamic t1's that i'd have to recable aswell if I were to get a balanced amp. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #6,832 of 18,754

Thanks for the replies. I don't mind going solid state, but i like the warmth the tubes provide to the mids alot. I've been looking into the burson soloist what do you think of yours with the th900s compared to the lyr/mjolnir? I'd rather not have to recable them for the mjolnir though since I have beyerdynamic t1's that i'd have to recable aswell if I were to get a balanced amp. 

FWIW Loonatik I would agree with most in saying that the Soloist is a great match with the 900.  Highly recommended IMO.

There are a few good amps that jive nicely with the 900,  this thread alone mentions many of them.  Keep doing some research on the topic ....its half the fun.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #6,834 of 18,754

I enjoy the 900 with both the Soloist and the Mojo. Methinks the Soloist is more relaxed-sounding than the Mojo (which kind of puts the music in your face). And since I enjoy music "in my face", I use the Mojo more than I use the Soloist with the 900. YMMV.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #6,836 of 18,754
Thanks!

Resonessance Labs Concero HP. Good stuff. =]

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #6,837 of 18,754
I am so confused. Haha.

Lol it was in reference to the posts I quoted. 

It reminded me of the old Abbott and Costello comedy routine "Who's on first"

Trying not to date myself here lol

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #6,839 of 18,754

Where are the Fostex TH900 made?
You said that Fostex made Denon D7000, so I guess that the drive of this phone is made in China as well? I know from this thread that the cup that is entirely made in Japan. But to me, the driver is more important.
One of the reasons that hold me of D7000 4 months ago when I first joined this forum was that D7000 is made in China (and I am actually regretting that I didn't get it while it was around $600)

It says made in Japan. The driver are actually different from D7000, according to Fostex it is a newly designed driver with 1.5Tesla flux

Quote:

maybe just assembled in japan, since the driver has "china" written on its back, at least the urushi and qc are japanese
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back