Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 31, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #6,707 of 18,737
I tried the lawton angle pads on my 900s and was back to the stock pads within a day. The lawton pads create more space between your ears and the drivers which can create in increased sense of soundstage the drawback is you lose the intimacy that the 900s are so great at. It felt like I was 10 rows back from the music while the stock pads put me on the stage with the musicians. Additionally, the stock pads seem to be of much higher quality leather.

I completely agree with your observation, but you probably knew that already.... I have tried the Audeze LCD-3 and the Stax SR-002 pads. Through the  Audeze LCD-3 leather  pads the sound became more spacious, but also less precise in terms of imaging (more fuzzy sounding). However, the major problem with these pads is that they accentuate the 'hole in the middle'. The midrange was more recessed, and sounded a bit cave like (e.g like from very far away) and hollow. The hollow sound it created made it a definitive no-way. The Stax SR-002 pads did not accentuate the 'hole in the middle' hollow sound of the Audeze, at least not to that extent. But, I found the treble was less pronounced, and bass had a bit less impact and was less defined. Next, airiness is reduced, and the midrange is less clear and dynamic.

I will stick to the original pads. I am more and more convinced that the Fostex TH-900 is a very carefully designed and voiced headphone. Changing pads change their voicing more than I expected, and they lose a bit of their character. You can increase soundstage depth and spaciousness by changing pads, but you lose impact, dynamics, clear imaging and midrange presence. To me it is clear. I like their voicing with the original pads best. It is just a well balanced sound. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #6,708 of 18,737
Mmmm eggshell membrane.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #6,709 of 18,737
Getting my TH900's re-cabled with the new Double Helix Complement3 cables.  I'm really looking forward to listening with those cables on the TH900.  Thanks to GG and Mike Mercer for their accolades of the DHC products as that's what helped make my decision to do this.  I'll post some impressions and pictures when they return from Peter's install.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #6,710 of 18,737
I like the cables that come with, but enjoy.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #6,711 of 18,737
Don't get me wrong.  I love the stock TH900's but since I can afford Abyss or STAX cans I want to improve the TH900's as much as possible.  The process can be reversed if necessary but I don't believe that will need to be done.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #6,713 of 18,737
  Yes, let's void the warranty on a $1500 pair of headphones.

No thanks.

1 year warranty has already passed.  I, and many others, would greatly appreciate the snide remarks be kept to yourself, thank you very much!

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #6,714 of 18,737
  Getting my TH900's re-cabled with the new Double Helix Complement3 cables.  I'm really looking forward to listening with those cables on the TH900.  Thanks to GG and Mike Mercer for their accolades of the DHC products as that's what helped make my decision to do this.  I'll post some impressions and pictures when they return from Peter's install.

Please do post some impressions , I am also looking at re-cable options.

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #6,715 of 18,737
Will do but it probably won't be until sometime in May. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #6,716 of 18,737
Please do post some impressions , I am also looking at re-cable options.

My Th900 has Q French Silk cable on it. Talk about light and flexible........got the headphones like this from Greed but liked it so much over the stock monster that I put the same cable on my D7000's. BTG Audio did the install. I noticed no change in sound.

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #6,717 of 18,737

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #6,718 of 18,737
The gray cable looks great with those--I have the same color Q cable for my LCD-Xs.  (And a nice LED flashlight is a great addition to any headphone rig, if you like to listen and tinker in the dark.
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back