Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #6,691 of 18,754
As far as I know the rather poor isolation is a design choice to increase the soundstage. I don't think changing pads will help much as they have vents outside the pads (the gap between the cups and the metal part).

Now for something completely different: Did anyone else try the TH900 with the Phonitor 2 yet? Mine came last Wednesday and I really like the combination: very detailed, massive but well-structured bass... very impressive. I used the A8 as a DAC.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #6,692 of 18,754
Oregonian,

Have the angled EarPads increased the TH900 ability to isolate? What type of cups did you get? Do your mods make the TH900 sound spacious?

Long story short I was going to have my buy the TH900's, but chose the Ultrase ED5 instead. I was refunded my money so I'm looking at the TH900's again

I have the stock cups and the stock pads.  I intend on trying the Lawton angle pads that are currently on my D7000 on my TH900 one of these days for giggles but have not done so yet. 

The TH900 is very spacious - the soundstage tends to fool you at times with noises that you think are happening in the room you're in instead of coming from the headphones.  Freaky at times.  I'd buy them in a heartbeat now that you have the $.  Mine has Lawton damping mods and a Q French Silk cable, which addresses the one problem with the stock headphone - the stock cable to me on all the Denon D2000, D5000, D7000 and Fostex TH600 and TH900 is terrible in my opinion due to being bulky and tending to kink and generally just be in the way.  The Q French Silk I have on my D7000 as well and I'd never stay with the stock cable again after enjoying these flexible units that also look good. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #6,693 of 18,754
  Ok, so next stupid question.

How do you think the TH900 compares to the Denon D7000 or a fully modded LA7000?

I'm liking the idea of buying the TH900's but the D7000 are half the price or so...

Maybe I'm asking in the wrong thread?
rolleyes.gif

It's close in performance to my D7000.  Very close.  For double the cost I'm not sure the value proposition pencils out but I have both and am keeping both.  One for upstairs in my music room fed by a Pioneer Spec 1 & 2 vintage system and one in my family room fed by a Pioneer SA7500 MKII integrated amp.  I feel fortunate to own both and really amazed how good they both are. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #6,694 of 18,754
Thank you for the information, I will sit and wait to see if any reviews of the Lawton Audio Mods for the TH-900. Specifically the newly designed cups, based on the TH-900 not being completely sealed by design I will have to find a place to listen to them as well. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #6,695 of 18,754
Thanks for all the answers guys!

Doesn't really make the choice any easier though! The other thing is that the new HE-560 looks very promising as well. So many headphones... so little time.... (and money!)
blink.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #6,696 of 18,754
been trying some high-end open cans and gotta say that the th900 is right up there imo. two things that strike me with this can every time is its cleanness and blackground.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #6,697 of 18,754
The TH900's description has been calling me like a Siren.  The lack of isolation and leakage factor has been tying me to the main mast. 

Do you think a set of cups from Lawton would mitigate this issue?

Thanks

Nathan

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #6,698 of 18,754
The TH900's description has been calling me like a Siren.  The lack of isolation and leakage factor has been tying me to the main mast. 

It may do, but I have a sneaky suspicion that you would lose width in the soundstage which is a decent part of their sonic charater IMO.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #6,699 of 18,754

Thanks

Nathan

No, it's a design benefit to have the openness. Cups will not make them isolate perfectly.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #6,700 of 18,754

Thanks

Nathan

I think there has been too much made of the leakage on the TH900. Is there leakage? Yes. Is it really that bad? No. Will you hear other people when they talk to you? Yes, but only when there is no music playing, and muffled at that. Otherwise, blissful oblivion. 

They have been used in the bedroom when my kid and wife are both TRYING to sleep. I never got any complaints. They both just sleep right through. That's why for late night jams, even with Metallica and Aerosmith raising hell in my skull, the TH900 is tops. 

Not recommended for offices without walls i.e. any floor with cubicles, nor for coffee shops - but not for the reason you may think! Whilst isolation is not the best, when music is playing, you get about 90% of the quality that you would expect from them. The other 10% is impacted by outside noise, drowning out a small amount of  detail. Despite that, these are still the best closed-back office or coffee shop headphones I have ever used, bar none in terms of SQ. 

The real reason you would not use them as such are:

1. They're too effin' pretty you would be distracted by your fear of scratching them.
2. They're too effin' expensive  you would be distracted by your fear of scratching them.
3. They're soo pretty, they attract too much attention. (sometimes though, that's not so bad)
4. That damn cable is too long for outside use. 

What I'm getting at is, if leakage and isolation are all that's stopping you from getting them, then untie yourself from that mast and jump in! :) 

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #6,701 of 18,754
It may do, but I have a sneaky suspicion that you would lose width in the soundstage which is a decent part of their sonic charater IMO.

Good point. Didn't occur to me.

I think there has been too much made of the leakage on the TH900. Is there leakage? Yes. Is it really that bad? No. Will you hear other people when they talk to you? Yes, but only when there is no music playing, and muffled at that. Otherwise, blissful oblivion. 

They have been used in the bedroom when my kid and wife are both TRYING to sleep. I never got any complaints. They both just sleep right through. That's why for late night jams, even with Metallica and Aerosmith raising hell in my skull, the TH900 is tops. 

Not recommended for offices without walls i.e. any floor with cubicles, nor for coffee shops - but not for the reason you may think! Whilst isolation is not the best, when music is playing, you get about 90% of the quality that you would expect from them. The other 10% is impacted by outside noise, drowning out a small amount of  detail. Despite that, these are still the best closed-back office or coffee shop headphones I have ever used, bar none in terms of SQ. 

The real reason you would not use them as such are:

1. They're too effin' pretty you would be distracted by your fear of scratching them.
2. They're too effin' expensive  you would be distracted by your fear of scratching them.
3. They're soo pretty, they attract too much attention. (sometimes though, that's not so bad)
4. That damn cable is too long for outside use. 

What I'm getting at is, if leakage and isolation are all that's stopping you from getting them, then untie yourself from that mast and jump in! :) 

You, sir, are the Sirens' advocate. Although I might drown in the Siren's embrace, my last breath will be with a smile on my face.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #6,702 of 18,754
:)

I love Head-fi and all the advice is appreciated, especially when it comes to higher end headphones. :), money is not a concern but I like the come along because most would have bitten on that response alone. These headphones are not going any where for a while so I will be patient and content with my HD800 and ED8. It sounds like the TH-900 would be the last headphone I would need and since this will be my final headphone purchase I will wait a few more months. Love the pictures 

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #6,703 of 18,754
I see no reason to get anything else, my search is over. The hpa8 drives it beautifully.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #6,704 of 18,754
I tried the lawton angle pads on my 900s and was back to the stock pads within a day. The lawton pads create more space between your ears and the drivers which can create in increased sense of soundstage the drawback is you lose the intimacy that the 900s are so great at. It felt like I was 10 rows back from the music while the stock pads put me on the stage with the musicians. Additionally, the stock pads seem to be of much higher quality leather.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #6,705 of 18,754
wouldn't want the soundstage any bigger especially if that made the mids more recessed. stock earpads are made out of protein leather - not real leather. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back