Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #6,331 of 18,737

If the TH900 ticks all your boxes, I don't see a reason to keep them. While I like and certainly appreciate my HD800, there's almost never an occasion where I would prefer it over the TH900, for my tastes. Unfortunately I must sell the TH900 and HD800, but I will sorely miss the TH900, those were my boys!

The only reason I'm keeping a alternative set up is that while th900 is very very engaging and exciting, it does cause fatigue. Once in a while, I do like the laid back wa2 + T1. It's not really fair to compare since the two setups are more different than alike.

Awww, thats just sad to sell such a pretty and good sounding can. I have the same feelings with the wa2,it is such a pretty looking thing, I might be looking in doing some rework inside to try to fit all film output caps and see how it ends up

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #6,335 of 18,737
  The only reason I'm keeping a alternative set up is that while th900 is very very engaging and exciting, it does cause fatigue. Once in a while, I do like the laid back wa2 + T1. It's not really fair to compare since the two setups are more different than alike.

Awww, thats just sad to sell such a pretty and good sounding can. I have the same feelings with the wa2,it is such a pretty looking thing, I might be looking in doing some rework inside to try to fit all film output caps and see how it ends up

What amp are you using with your pair? Other than the WA2, which I imagine would be quite fatiguing. To me, the TH900 is not as fatiguing as the other flagships in its class. Certainly less so than the HD800, HE-6, etc. I value them for their organic smoothness. With the WA2, I'd imagine the bass to be very much under-damped when matched with the TH900, and would make for quite the fatiguing listen. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #6,336 of 18,737
Just received the Burson Soloist today and must say combined with the TH900s it's the best headphone/amp combo I've heard. I think my journey is done (famous last words)...

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #6,338 of 18,737
  Just received the Burson Soloist today and must say combined with the TH900s it's the best headphone/amp combo I've heard. I think my journey is done (famous last words)...

Congrats! I am about to do the same thing 
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #6,339 of 18,737

Out of curiosity, why did you pick the Soloist vs the Soloist SL? I debated between both and decided the SL made more sense for the TH900 since it doesn't need a ton power and I personally prefer analog volume. Haven't gotten it yet, so can't say how it sounds, but hoping its as good.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #6,340 of 18,737

What amp are you using with your pair? Other than the WA2, which I imagine would be quite fatiguing. To me, the TH900 is not as fatiguing as the other flagships in its class. Certainly less so than the HD800, HE-6, etc. I value them for their organic smoothness. With the WA2, I'd imagine the bass to be very much under-damped when matched with the TH900, and would make for quite the fatiguing listen. 

I use my Th900 with luxman p1u, which is the best amp I've tried on having listened to quite a few.  I haven't really heard the hd800 for extended period of time. I did though listened to He-6 with Ef-6 for a few hours, and liked it a lot, it was very laid back, had a sense of inner warmth, richness and spaciousness, but not very engaging. The th900 on the other hand is very fun, exciting and engaging, it makes some boring recordings sound fantastic, it makes me want moooorreeeee...and moorreee, causing me to listen at a higher volume, (might be the reason why its fatiguing for me).
I did find the th900 a pairing nightmare though, there were soo many  popular amps here on head-fi that just couldn't control the treble and reveal its glorious midrange, the luxman p1u really gives the midrange a solid foundation and controls the treble. (I am very sensitive to treble). A lot of amp pairing with the th900 were just not even listenable/tolerable for me.

Amp pairing for this class of headphones (which are very revealing) is very crucial, I think, and can cause a totally different impression for the headphone. 

P.S. Just noticed that you're from Cavalli Audio, wows, really want to hear one of your amps, but I don't think I'll have a chance located in this side of the globe 

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #6,341 of 18,737
I use my Th900 with luxman p1u, which is the best amp I've tried on having listened to quite a few.  I haven't really heard the hd800 for extended period of time. I did though listened to He-6 with Ef-6 for a few hours, and liked it a lot, it was very laid back, had a sense of inner warmth, richness and spaciousness, but not very engaging. The th900 on the other hand is very fun, exciting and engaging, it makes some boring recordings sound fantastic, it makes me want moooorreeeee...and moorreee, causing me to listen at a higher volume, (might be the reason why its fatiguing for me).
I did find the th900 a pairing nightmare though, there were soo many  popular amps here on head-fi that just couldn't control the treble and reveal its glorious midrange, the luxman p1u really gives the midrange a solid foundation and controls the treble. (I am very sensitive to treble). A lot of amp pairing with the th900 were just not even listenable/tolerable for me.

Amp pairing for this class of headphones (which are very revealing) is very crucial, I think, and can cause a totally different impression for the headphone. 

P.S. Just noticed that you're from Cavalli Audio, wows, really want to hear one of your amps, but I don't think I'll have a chance located in this side of the globe 

Could you list the high end amps you have tried with the TH900? Thanks.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #6,342 of 18,737
Could you list the high end amps you have tried with the TH900? Thanks.

Lol that would be like throwing flames into fire, I prob listened to every possible amp possible in Jaben and a few headphone stores in HK, there was this custom 2000usd tube amp that sounded very good in Jaben though. To be honest, I haven't really tried it that much with "high end" amps, but probably anything I can lay my hands on under 1500usd. The P1u I bought when I travelled to Japan was around 1400. 

The P1u though, has its shortcomings with th900, the bass is not as strong as it would be, the soundstage might be narrowed, it just sounds good to me, but might not be everyone's cup of tea. I am sure others here who have found good pairings have their rationale as well.

Oh, I did also tried the Soloist, and found it a good pairing as well, a neutral amp that just displays what the th900 arel, I was kinda scared of the stepped volume control after my hm901 purchase though.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #6,343 of 18,737
Lol that would be like throwing flames into fire, I prob listened to every possible amp possible in Jaben and a few headphone stores in HK, there was this custom 2000usd tube amp that sounded very good in Jaben though. To be honest, I haven't really tried it that much with "high end" amps, but probably anything I can lay my hands on under 1500usd. The P1u I bought when I travelled to Japan was around 1400. 

The P1u though, has its shortcomings with th900, the bass is not as strong as it would be, the soundstage might be narrowed, it just sounds good to me, but might not be everyone's cup of tea. I am sure others here who have found good pairings have their rationale as well.

Oh, I did also tried the Soloist, and found it a good pairing as well, a neutral amp that just displays what the th900 arel, I was kinda scared of the stepped volume control after my hm901 purchase though.

:D my question was not meant to be an inquisition. I am merely interested. Thanks.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #6,345 of 18,737
  I use my Th900 with luxman p1u, which is the best amp... 
The th900 on the other hand is very fun, exciting and engaging, it makes some boring recordings sound fantastic, it makes me want moooorreeeee...and moorreee...

Though I don't have exact specs on this Luxman, I'd expect it to be a better match for the TH900. 

Want more? Sounds like the AB-1266 is just what the doctor ordered!

Where are you located?

PS. The Liquid Glass works magic with the TH900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back