Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #541 of 18,650

So, in a proverbial nutshell, we can say the following about the TH900's sound signature:

--> Bass quantity: D7000 > TH900 > W3000ANV
--> Bass quality: TH900 > D7000 = W3000ANV
--> Midrange clarity / openness: TH900 > W3000ANV > D7000
--> Midrange coloration: W3000ANV > D7000 = TH900
--> Treble brightness: W3000ANV > D7000 > TH900
--> Treble clarity / quality: TH900 = W3000ANV > D7000

Great job working on your impressions! It must take a lot of effort in comparing two other closed headphones.

Would you/other TH900 owners think that the D7000 still takes the crown of "King of Fun?"

May 3, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #542 of 18,650
I would say the TH900 is less colored in mids than the D7000.  Everything else looks pretty correct from my limited 900 session.

May 3, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #543 of 18,650
I stand behind my previous statement, to me they're D7000s that are all "grown up". They're more mature, put on a fine suit, and they're now ready for a night at the symphony. It's about the sophistication and details, a refinement to the essence of what that design could ultimately be.

May 3, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #544 of 18,650
Quote:
I just calculated I would have to work 84 hours to afford these. Sometimes I hate my job...

don't...

Even with one month of my work as senior network consultant, with Indonesian salary, it would not enough to buy the phone... and that's all the money, left me, my wife and two kids without food and school and no electricity at home....

Life is never fair... but we have to live it...

May 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #546 of 18,650
A very nice read and thorough review if I ever saw one, thanks MuppetFace!
The comparison with the W3000ANV and D7000 made it very easy for me to imagine what to expect from the TH900.

It made me decide I should of course get me a pair but also I should wait.
As I have two pairs of D7000 cups coming in along with three different kinds of earpads and the Lawton mods I want to have a bit of fun with those and do an A/B comparison between a lot of combinations to find out how I can get the best sound out og the D7000.
I fear if I get me a pair of TH900 straight away I might give up on the D7000 and miss out on all the fun I could have with those.
It will also be interesting to compare the TH900 to a completely modded D7000 in the end.

May 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #547 of 18,650
Quote:
MuppetFace, what sort of music did you listen to in that comparison ?  

A little bit of everything: rock, metal, pop, folk, electronica, hip hop, r&b, dub, bossa nova, ambient, western and eastern classical, etc. Since I've had them for several weeks now it's given me a chance to have a pretty large rotation of music.

The TH900 is quite versatile in my opinion. It works well with a variety of genres.

Quote:
A very nice read and thorough review if I ever saw one, thanks MuppetFace!
The comparison with the W3000ANV and D7000 made it very easy for me to imagine what to expect from the TH900.

It made me decide I should of course get me a pair but also I should wait.
As I have two pairs of D7000 cups coming in along with three different kinds of earpads and the Lawton mods I want to have a bit of fun with those and do an A/B comparison between a lot of combinations to find out how I can get the best sound out og the D7000.
I fear if I get me a pair of TH900 straight away I might give up on the D7000 and miss out on all the fun I could have with those.
It will also be interesting to compare the TH900 to a completely modded D7000 in the end.

A comparison between the LA7000 and TH900 would be very interesting. Since the LA7000 can be tuned in a variety of ways however, I'd be most curious to hear if Lawton could approximate the TH900's tuning.

That being said, I'm even more curious about a modded TH900. Basically an "LA9000" (added the extra zero to put it at the top of the range). The bio-cellulose guts of the TH900 seem to be more complex than the D7000's though from what I've read, and the LA7000 took a lot of trial and error to perfect as it is, so it seems like a long shot. Really I don't think the TH900 could be improved enough sonically to warrant the expense and risk of screwing something up, at least to my ears.

May 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #548 of 18,650
Quote:

That being said, I'm even more curious about a modded TH900. Basically an "LA9000" (added the extra zero to put it at the top of the range). The bio-cellulose guts of the TH900 seem to be more complex than the D7000's though from what I've read, and the LA7000 took a lot of trial and error to perfect as it is, so it seems like a long shot. Really I don't think the TH900 could be improved enough sonically to warrant the expense and risk of screwing something up, at least to my ears.

It took a while before I wanted to consider modding a phone like the D7000 but decided to do so seen the Lawton mods are highly regarded. I want to A/B with a second D7000 through the whole process while trying all three pairs of cups with and without damping just to see if things get better or worse. That's why I got me a second D7000 but unforunately that pair is with Martin now and he's still busy on making the B&W Ebony cups for me.
It will also be interesting to comapre a hard wood like the Ebony to a medium-hard wood like the Panama Rosewood from Mark, especially without damping material at first. The Rosewood cups just came in I heard from my wife so I will see them tonight.

The idea of modding a TH900 doesn't appeal to me I must say. Seen how they sound as described in your review I imagine one could easily mess up the delicate balance these phones have.

May 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #550 of 18,650
My intentions were to reduce my headphones collection by selling my D7000, DX1000 and T1. Now you guys are tempting me to add back one and just have a net reduction of 2 headphones....... plus my wallet already told me is hating you
mad.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #552 of 18,650
Hey MuppetFace,

I know you've spent some time with the Ultrasone Signature Pro and liked how they sounded. How would you compare it to the TH900? What do you find the TH900 does better, and what do you find the Signature Pro does better? Relative differences aside, how alike do they sound?

Thanks!

May 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #554 of 18,650
Quote:

I guess the question there is, is the TH900 underdamped, and are the drivers too close to the ears? Mark originally just put extra stuffing in the stock pads to push the drivers away and improve imaging, now he has his own (apparently very similar to J$) pads for that job. The amount of added damping is based on user preference and the type of wood used.

Would you really want to replace the stock cups? You're paying an awful lot for them, so that seems like a waste, even considering how good Mark's cups are. It seems like a MarkL mod for the TH900 with just some damping and pad stuffing for a few hundred bucks (if the phones warrant it) would make more sense as opposed to a full blown LA9000.

What I would like to see is Mark take on the JVC DX1000, as it definitely seems like there's a lot of room there for improvement, sadly he's said no on that one.

May 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #555 of 18,650
A significant part of the markl mod was the Dynamat over the baffle pieces. This part of the mod was probably more needed for the D2000/D5000 than the D7000. I did the mods myself on a D5000 and felt the baffle mods were most effective when you were blasting the thing at 90db, but not so much at regular listening levels. I didn't care for the cushy pads which increased the distance from the driver to the ears because it increased the treble too much (and made the midrange even more recessed.) I've heard another modded Denon with the cups, and didn't really think the cups did anything. The TH900 cup is much prettier. Also, the D7000 is really fine as it is. The mod that made the most difference was Smeggy's on a D2000. He actually brought out the mids and tamed the bass effectively - probably a bit too much for my tastes considering the D2000's sparkly nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back