Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #16,546 of 18,759
i can hear huge difference when im changing pads
i can hear tiny difference when im switching cups (left from TH600 or THx00 and keep red right cup from th900)
i CAN'T hear ANY difference when im changing wires

so probably im not that sensitive to silver ions vs copper ions :)))

Sounds like you haven't tried the $300 to $500 USB cables yet! :wink:

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #16,547 of 18,759
not sure whether it is a blessing or a curse
Once experienced now Im sure of ny favorite cables. Once one goes from enjoying music from a portable cassette player onto making music gear a hobby its all a curse.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #16,548 of 18,759
Sounds like you haven't tried the $300 to $500 USB cables yet! :wink:
Once a thread starts with cables this or that the mods will step in and stop this chit chat.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #16,549 of 18,759
the cable debates continue to rage in the forums but questions regarding how the th900 mk2 differs from the th900 mk1 have been asked and answered numerous times in this thread already, and it really should not be a matter for further debate. as stated repeatedly now, they are identical save for the mk2 having detachable cables. that is the only difference between the two iterations. anyone who says otherwise is mistaken. with regard to the th900 mk2 sapphire blue edition, the marketing blurbs for it that i've seen vary slightly. here are two examples: from minidisc - "has been specially-tuned with a limited-edition exclusive Fostex-approved tuning for an enhanced listening experience", and from moon audio - "The Sapphire Blue edition has different voicing than the original, Fostex has revoiced the driver slightly with a bit more dampening treatment." so apart from a tuning tweak and change of colour, the th900 mk2 sapphire blue edition is ostensibly the same headphone as the th900 mk2, which is also the same as the mk1 (with fixed cable). the technical specifications provided for all three models are identical, as are the drivers. i note that moon audio's description of the sapphire blue's performance (posted a couple of pages back) is an opinion and should not be regarded as definitive.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #16,552 of 18,759
Have you found a particular type of cables that work well? I've found that I like AgCu over straight copper ones.
Coppoer, or copper/silver

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #16,553 of 18,759
Has anyone tried replacing the headband of the TH900s? I really would like a more secure fit...

Wondering if something like that of MrSpeakers Ether C Flow might work?

mrspeakers-ether-c-main-800x800.jpg

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #16,554 of 18,759
Has anyone tried replacing the headband of the TH900s? I really would like a more secure fit...

Wondering if something like that of MrSpeakers Ether C Flow might work?

+1

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #16,555 of 18,759
I bought some second hand TH900s and I love them! They are in really good conditions with a notable exception: the pads, they're falling apart. I've been reading this thread looking for pad recommendations but, as expected, recommendations are really different from one another.

Is there any consensus about which pads (different from the stock ones) offer a similar sound signature while offering good comfort?

Sorry if this question has been asked a lot of times before but I couldn't find the answer using the search feature :p
I've tried many different pads, including multiple Dekoni ones, and Dekoni TH900 Sheepskin were the best ones, with Fostex TH610 pads in second place.
Both of them helped recover mids without hurting clarity. Bass quantity is reduced, quality is improved.
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...heepskin-replacement-memory-foam-ear-pad-set/
https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-USA-Replacement-Headphones-AMS-EX-EP-61/dp/B06X6JPJF5
Neither of them improved isolation.

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #16,556 of 18,759
Coppoer, or copper/silver
I have 7N OCC Balanced copper cable terminated with sennheiser hd600 series plugs. I ordered Furutech FT-2PS-F connector which is said to be specially tuned for Fostex with a better fit.
I am thinking of upgrading the pure copper cable with silver plated copper for wider soundstage with better seperation. But I am concerned about controlling the highs when upgrading from from balanced pure copper cable to balanced silver plated copper cable. Do you have recommendations especially for silver plated copper balanced cables that improves the SQ of TH900?

I have been also using Earsonics S-EM9 with a high-quality gold plated silver cable. It improved the bass resolution(I was not expecting to see that before buying it; which is over my expectations ) as well as the resolution of the highs and mids without making it bright. The soundstage also became wider with more depth with the cable. Has anyone tried gold plated silver with TH900?

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #16,558 of 18,759

Users who are viewing this thread

Back