1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by muppetface, Feb 13, 2012.
  1. fotomeow
    Now, for user jmills8: He is a Fostex TH-900 guru! .... Look at his equipment list in his sig!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  2. jmills8
    Ha, it does well on every style of music. On the go it really does well with Burr brown dacs.

3. elNan
    I bought some second hand TH900s and I love them! They are in really good conditions with a notable exception: the pads, they're falling apart. I've been reading this thread looking for pad recommendations but, as expected, recommendations are really different from one another.

Is there any consensus about which pads (different from the stock ones) offer a similar sound signature while offering good comfort?

Sorry if this question has been asked a lot of times before but I couldn't find the answer using the search feature :p

4. Yevgen Chupak
    Try Eikon or Suede

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables

Probably the best alternative...

cathee, Ake_Y and elNan like this.
  5. montanari
    Dekoni real leather

Ake_Y and elNan like this.
  6. gken92
    Hmm I need an advice. I have a TH900 paired with magni 3 and modi 3 stack. They definitely are the best closed back headphones ive ever owned. I want to make a small upgrade from my magni 3 as the highs can get a bit grainy, and with my budget I can get either JDS Labs Atom (supposedly cleaner than magni 3) or a used Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid CTH (supposedly able to tame the highs a bit and bring forward the mids).

Which one should I go for? I personally dont mind the highs as I have it EQ-ed down using Peace EQ, but sometimes I do miss the stock's extended highs and I dont like the graininess of the highs exhibited from my Magni 3.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  7. montanari
    Anyway many of the previous posts are incorrect
    All the th900 have the same driver of 1.5tesla,maybe the blue is tuned a bit different but until i don t hear it coul be just speculation and i learned to not trust the big improvement That we often Read, often it is just a slightly different more often just bias..
    I tried the lawton earpads and they do make the 900 sounds different, you get a bit o mids and a bit less treble but also less impact punch and bass and at the end i prefer the stock or the dekoni That are pretty much the same.
    An headphone doesn t sound better balanced(the term is wrong the correct one is masse separate in italian dont know in english!) but it s the amp That can work better from The xlr or se according to the project

Yevgen Chupak likes this.
  8. Yevgen Chupak
    All drivers are the same. All color version are the same. There is unchecked info that blue has slight different damping in cups (any inner pics or measurements?). For me they all sound EXACTLY the same.

up late and montanari like this.
  9. jmills8
    Change ear pads they wont sound the same. Change the cable they wont sound the same. Different amp or dac they wont sound the same.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  10. montanari
    if you connect any stock th900 mk1 mk2 with every color of the cup, to the same amp dac, will most probably sound the same

Yevgen Chupak likes this.
  11. Yevgen Chupak
    even humidity in your room can change the sound

jmills8 likes this.
  12. AxelCloris Administrator
    Let's please keep the discussion on-topic and within the Posting Guidelines. Thanks everyone.

up late and Yevgen Chupak like this.
  13. Yevgen Chupak
    i can hear huge difference when im changing pads
    i can hear tiny difference when im switching cups (left from TH600 or THx00 and keep red right cup from th900)
    i CAN'T hear ANY difference when im changing wires

so probably im not that sensitive to silver ions vs copper ions :)))

14. jmills8
    Well, I had seven th900s in front of me each with different cables (wires) and I , a friend and two shop owners could tell a difference. I got rid of the Silver cables.

cathee likes this.
  15. Yevgen Chupak
    not sure whether it is a blessing or a curse

fotomeow likes this.