Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 30, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #16,351 of 18,760
I purchased the headphones second hand... other the this issue, they are in immaculate condition. So unfortunately no warranty would be applicable.

Hopefully someone else might chime in.
If they've been bought recently enough, they might still be under warranty. You could work with the original owner to make a warranty claim. Sometimes companies will make exceptions even though you are the second owner.

My cans rarely fall down 1 click on one side. Rarely enough that it's not an issue and rarely enough that I don't remember if it's the left, right, or both sides that do this. I wear them at the second smallest setting.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #16,352 of 18,760
If they've been bought recently enough, they might still be under warranty. You could work with the original owner to make a warranty claim. Sometimes companies will make exceptions even though you are the second owner.

My cans rarely fall down 1 click on one side. Rarely enough that it's not an issue and rarely enough that I don't remember if it's the left, right, or both sides that do this. I wear them at the second smallest setting.

Thanks,

I had the headphones on for over an hour today... At the same second smallest setting as you. They didn't budge. I am used to a little more clamping pressure I guess. I don't think the cans are falling down, but rather being forced down from the pressure of being too tight on my head. I think they will be fine, just will take a little getting used to.

I love these headphones. I've swapped out the OEM pads for 610s. They feel much better on my ears. Definitely more form-fitting.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #16,353 of 18,760
Glad you like them! To me, the TH-900 brings a visceral bass slam and fun sound signature unlike any other headphone. I've thought of selling them to save for another TOTL headphone, but I always come to the conclusion that I know I'd miss them!

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #16,354 of 18,760
Thanks,

I had the headphones on for over an hour today... At the same second smallest setting as you. They didn't budge. I am used to a little more clamping pressure I guess. I don't think the cans are falling down, but rather being forced down from the pressure of being too tight on my head. I think they will be fine, just will take a little getting used to.

I love these headphones. I've swapped out the OEM pads for 610s. They feel much better on my ears. Definitely more form-fitting.
they exert little in the way of clamping force on my head, which makes them very comfortable for me as i prefer a "relaxed" fit
Glad you like them! To me, the TH-900 brings a visceral bass slam and fun sound signature unlike any other headphone. I've thought of selling them to save for another TOTL headphone, but I always come to the conclusion that I know I'd miss them!
agreed, tho the thought of selling them hasn't crossed my mind :)

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #16,356 of 18,760
I only got 2 cans I’d never give up my 900.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #16,358 of 18,760
Been demoing and buying headphones for decades, never really keeping a to go headphone. Demoed a th900 and ended up with eight th900s. Then wanting to gain funds I sold five of them. Then sold one more and now I have one th900 for on the go and one for home use. Been demoing a few other headphones and well some has this or that better but they also have a few faults. Well I just bought a third th900. Wont sell them is my plan.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #16,360 of 18,760
:p

Alas, that thought only came across my mind because of my limited funds and heavy student debt. I love these headphones as they're the best headphones for my main genre of music (electronic) by a long shot. I don't think I will ever sell them. :)

If you have debt, and need help managing it, I highly recommend Dave Ramsey, and his book The Total Money Makeover. His baby step method can help get out if debt and put you on your way to becoming a millionaire...

Done proselytizing... Now back on topic.

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #16,363 of 18,760
In what ways?
I'm actually kinda lazy to explain this :) Most people don't try to fix or build a system around their HD800 anyway. And sometimes when they do fix the tonality, these "fixes" can also eliminate HD800's technicalities (detail, soundstage size).

Here it goes (this is off memory):
- Both have very top quality bass. Yes, HD800 has bass details that surpasses TH900. It also reaches as low as the TH900 (maybe TH900 just slightly lower). It is just so lacking in quantity. TH900, however, has that unique thunderous slam that HD800 just can't have. No other headphone does, to my knowledge. Maybe it's the driver characteristics. Maybe because it is closed-back too.
- Both have perhaps the best quality treble I have ever heard. To me, even better than ZMF Verite, Auteur. Much better than any planar I tried. Only the Utopia can match it. But both have too much quantity (at different FR. HD800 at 6k. TH900 at around 8k, if I remember correctly) It is easier to fix TH900 treble. Schiit Loki did for me.
- Both have recessed mid. HD800 is much more subtle, and no need to fix. TH900 is a problem though. That is why people call it a "Fun" can. I think....something with this kind of quality sound should never be called a "fun" can. It is a formidable and technical can.
- Both are kings of soundstage. HD800 is king of open-backed. TH900 is king of closed-backed. I compared these two comprehensively in the past. TH900 has by far the BEST soundstage in any closed-back headphone. I don't think it will be beaten anytime soon. It is not so much on the size. Yes it is wide and deep, but what amazes me with the layering and imaging. It is even better than the HD800, though HD800 wins in soundstage size.
- Both have a lot of air. TH900 is the airiest closed-back headphone I know. But HD800 is the airiest headphone I know. It still beats TH900 by quite a large margin, due to being open-backed perhaps.
- Both are geared more towards female vocals. Male vocals sound great on them. But female vocals sound even better to me. I prefer male vocals out of Audeze or Abyss.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #16,365 of 18,760
So i purchased some brainwavz pads for my th900 and moticed i have less bass. It doesnt rattle my head as before with the stock pads. I threw the stock pads away as they were ripped from the previous owner

To get that nice bassnd sub bass I'm looking for i literally have to press the cups all the way to my ears. That being said what are the thinnest pads out there that can bring the cups as close to my ears as possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back