Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 18, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #15,962 of 18,758
I've been considering wasting money again. Looking at tube amps. Not sure what sound I'm chasing after. I think I've read that SS amps work best for the th900. I'm using IFI IDSD Micro BL at the moment, and will probably use it as a DAC if I get a tube amp.

Don't have much cash, missed out on an awesome deal with a used Woo Audio WA7 and kicking myself. Could be a good or bad thing.

Read a previous post that Schiit Valhalla sounds muddy with the th900.

Got interested in Woo Audio WA6 and read that it works well with low impedance cans but finding a used is rare it seems. Definitely can't afford the WA6SE new OR used. Not sure how I feel about the DarkVoice since some folks are saying the WA6 is better than the DV.

The ChiFi tube amps on ebay in the $200 to $300, from douk or nobsound, looks interesting but seems like a gamble.

If anyone got recommendations that'll be much appreciated. Or can convince me to stick to the IDSD BL that'll help for my sanity and wallet too. Much appreciated.

Stick to solid state.

May 18, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #15,963 of 18,758
I've been considering wasting money again. Looking at tube amps. Not sure what sound I'm chasing after. I think I've read that SS amps work best for the th900. I'm using IFI IDSD Micro BL at the moment, and will probably use it as a DAC if I get a tube amp.

Don't have much cash, missed out on an awesome deal with a used Woo Audio WA7 and kicking myself. Could be a good or bad thing.

Got interested in Woo Audio WA6 and read that it works well with low impedance cans but finding a used is rare it seems. Definitely can't afford the WA6SE new OR used. Not sure how I feel about the DarkVoice since some folks are saying the WA6 is better than the DV.

The ChiFi tube amps on ebay in the $200 to $300, from douk or nobsound, looks interesting but seems like a gamble.

If anyone got recommendations that'll be much appreciated. Or can convince me to stick to the IDSD BL that'll help for my sanity and wallet too. Much appreciated.

You could look into the Liquid Carbon. Solid state with a smoother sound. Haven't heard the Massdrop versions, but they should be the same. Monoprice is even releasing the Liquid Platinum soon, which is a hybrid too.

May 18, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #15,964 of 18,758
You could look into the Liquid Carbon. Solid state with a smoother sound. Haven't heard the Massdrop versions, but they should be the same. Monoprice is even releasing the Liquid Platinum soon, which is a hybrid too.

Thx, i'll check it out. The liquid platinum looks very interesting, especially since Monoprice has been making quality products for the price.

May 18, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #15,965 of 18,758

Mate, I think you shouldn't waste money in sidegrades. Not a fan of WA7 at all. And avoid cheap unknown Chifi tube amps at all costs. TBH, your iFi iDSD BL is good enough. Just enjoy the TH900. It is one of my most fav can, which can best many of the current flagships in my opinion.

All you need for TH900 is a Schiit Loki. But you need a separate dac/amp to use the Loki. Use a free digital EQ instead, in your case. Just need to take care of that V-shape.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #15,966 of 18,758
Mate, I think you shouldn't waste money in sidegrades. Not a fan of WA7 at all. Avoid cheap unknown Chifi tube amps at all costs. TBH, your iFi iDSD BL is good enough. Just enjoy the TH900. It is one of my most fav can, which can best many of the current flagships in my opinion.

All you need for TH900 is a Schiit Loki. But you need a separate dac/amp to use the Loki. Use a free digital EQ instead, in your case. Just need to take care of that V-shape.
Good adcice but the issue in hobbies is most who get into a hobby the enjoyment of thinking which product will be better becomes as umportant as the music. Once they go into a hobby they start chasing the unicorn.

May 18, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #15,967 of 18,758
Good adcice but the issue in hobbies is most who get into a hobby the enjoyment of thinking which product will be better becomes as umportant as the music. Once they go into a hobby they start chasing the unicorn.
Agreed. It is never-ending.

We should just focus on our music instead. I tried truly end-game TOTL rig before, I'm telling you...for the average Joe's ear....the difference in SQ really ain't worth the money. At this second, I'm using my mimby/Loki/Magni 3 combo with LCD2C. It sounds great! Absolutely nothing wrong with it to my ears.

Btw, the micro Black Label is a good dac/amp. Very powerful and a really nice warmish sound signature. That bass boost will be very useful for certain cans. I would stick with it.

These days, I'm just looking to expand my music base. Listening to Beth Hart right now. Amazing!

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #15,968 of 18,758
Mate, I think you shouldn't waste money in sidegrades. Not a fan of WA7 at all. Avoid cheap unknown Chifi tube amps at all costs. TBH, your iFi iDSD BL is good enough. Just enjoy the TH900. It is one of my most fav can, which can best many of the current flagships in my opinion.

A good advice I'll certainly take.

I do agree this hobby is turning into something like hoarding, and to suffice the curiosity rather than the music. Some self reflect might be needed.

May 18, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #15,969 of 18,758
I have the ifi nano black label, could you speak on if the micro black label would make that’s much of a difference?
Never tried it. But I tried the Nano iDSD silver quite a while ago, and I hated it. A bit too soft and flat. I preferred the micro iDSD version that I used to own. More balls. The BL adds a warmish tone on top of that. Really nice.

In my opinion: micro iDSD BL >= micro iDSD silver >>> Nano iDSD silver

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #15,970 of 18,758

I've read that Pathos Aurium have good synergy with the TH-900 but i never heard it, beside its out of your budget ,

me my i self i am not a big fan of hybrid tube amps , i tried the WA7, WA8, iFi Pro iCAN and i have Hafler HA75 and they all have tubes and all to my ears lack the depth and musicality with my th900 ,

i tried the WA6 (pure tube amp) for brief time and it was very very smooth, musical , but i remember it was week amp and lacked the punch (maybe too smooth)

you can upgrade to a better solid-state amp ,, i dont know about the black micro idsd but i have the old silver one and it is good as portable solution, although not the best choice for the th-900 ,

i advise you to check the Fostex HPA8 ,, you can find it used for 400-500$, it is very musical , above it price in sound quality , have enough power to utilize the full potential of the th900 driver, also tuned for the th-900 (i love it with all my other headphones) and it have a lot of features specially the gain steps which give huge flexibility to tune its sound to your taste .. i highly recommend it to any one for any headphone (other than the Beyerdynamic & mrspeaker).

May 19, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #15,971 of 18,758
I've read that Pathos Aurium have good synergy with the TH-900 but i never heard it, beside its out of your budget ,

me my i self i am not a big fan of hybrid tube amps , i tried the WA7, WA8, iFi Pro iCAN and i have Hafler HA75 and they all have tubes and all to my ears lack the depth and musicality with my th900 ,

i tried the WA6 (pure tube amp) for brief time and it was very very smooth, musical , but i remember it was week amp and lacked the punch (maybe too smooth)

you can upgrade to a better solid-state amp ,, i dont know about the black micro idsd but i have the old silver one and it is good as portable solution, although not the best choice for the th-900 ,

i advise you to check the Fostex HPA8 ,, you can find it used for 400-500$, it is very musical , above it price in sound quality , have enough power to utilize the full potential of the th900 driver, also tuned for the th-900 (i love it with all my other headphones) and it have a lot of features specially the gain steps which give huge flexibility to tune its sound to your taste .. i highly recommend it to any one for any headphone (other than the Beyerdynamic & mrspeaker).

Thank you, your impressions helped paint the picture really well.

May 19, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #15,972 of 18,758
It is probably a little late at this point as I already ordered the blues but to those that have heard both is the blue worth the extra money? From what some of you are saying it sounds like there isn't much of a difference between the two.

I like to think I am not as sensitive as some when it comes to sibilance as some but when I see a few post mentioning I start to get a little worried. I used to own the HD700 and thought they were just a bit too sibilant so if anyone has experience with both how do they compair in that aspect?

May 20, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #15,973 of 18,758

I've been using an Icon HP8 Mk2 with my mine for quite some time now and haven't felt the need to change. Bass isn't soft like some tube amps and has nice weight to it. The amp has a warm presentation but not overly so. It's a clear step above my Valhalla in resolution with all my phones. Good luck with your search.

May 20, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #15,974 of 18,758
I've been using an Icon HP8 Mk2 with my mine for quite some time now and haven't felt the need to change. Bass isn't soft like some tube amps and has nice weight to it. The amp has a warm presentation but not overly so. It's a clear step above my Valhalla in resolution with all my phones. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for your input. It looks like a quality tube amp you got there. So far a member's suggestion about the hybrid monolith cavalli liquid platinum got my attention. Since it won't come out for some time I'll wait until the reviews start coming out.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #15,975 of 18,758
Thanks for your input. It looks like a quality tube amp you got there. So far a member's suggestion about the hybrid monolith cavalli liquid platinum got my attention. Since it won't come out for some time I'll wait until the reviews start coming out.

I'm sure the Cavalli will be an excellent amp, it's a quality company. If you do end up with a pure tube amp, I'd stay away from cheaper OTL amps, which work better with higher impedance phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back