Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #15,692 of 18,758
giphy.gif

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #15,693 of 18,758
My only problem is that the ifi is a little too dark for the highs on the th900, and the ak70 mk2 can put 600ish mw in balanced

That is an odd statement considering that the TH900 are very bright headphones and iFi amps are neutral to bright. If you are hearing a dark sound on a TH900+iFi rig, then I think there are other reasons for that. AK DAPs also tend to be neutral to bright (except CU ones).

I have not heard any TH900 owner say the sound is dark and I've never heard any iFi owner say the sound is dark. On my iCan Pro, I still need to EQ the highs down a bit and my preference is on the brighter side of neutral.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #15,695 of 18,758
Ik that the th900 is bright (and to the perfect degree Imo) I just think the ifi is a little dark for me

No problem with that. If you want a portable amp that are brighter than iFi, I would recommend Vorzuge. You will need a DAC since they only make amps. On the lower price end, Dragonfly Red is an amp/DAC that I would say is on the brighter side and also extends pretty well into sub bass.

Most folks on this thread are looking for an amp that tames the highs and brings out the mids though.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #15,696 of 18,758
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #15,697 of 18,758
Has anyone purchased a wool headband cushion (from a specific site that will fit the TH900) or tried the ZMF pilot pad on the TH900? I hate the fact that protein leather degrades very quickly and i'd like the headband to last as long as possible. I'm also hoping to purchase Dekoni's leather earpads as well :)

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #15,698 of 18,758
Has anyone purchased a wool headband cushion (from a specific site that will fit the TH900) or tried the ZMF pilot pad on the TH900? I hate the fact that protein leather degrades very quickly and i'd like the headband to last as long as possible. I'm also hoping to purchase Dekoni's leather earpads as well :)
Never heard about wool cushions for headphones. Can you share a link?

I think if mine headband starts to degrade, I would take it to a shop, which remodels steering wheels. They should be able to make a new one from real leather.

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #15,699 of 18,758

Yep I have the ZMF (lambskin) pilot pad, I attached a pic a few pages back. You can also see it on my icon. I like having that extra cushion. And like you said, I didn't like how the protein leather looks like it'll degrade after extensive use. It utilizes velcro so you can fit other cans too.

Keep in mind that it's a thick padding so for the folks that already have fitting issues...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #15,701 of 18,758
Never heard about wool cushions for headphones. Can you share a link?

I think if mine headband starts to degrade, I would take it to a shop, which remodels steering wheels. They should be able to make a new one from real leather.

Yep I have the ZMF (lambskin) pilot pad, I attached a pic a few pages back. You can also see it on my icon. I like having that extra cushion. And like you said, I didn't like how the protein leather looks like it'll degrade after extensive use. It utilizes velcro so you can fit other cans too.

Keep in mind that it's a thick padding so for the folks that already have fitting issues...

To Ragnar-BY, note my post above.

Kuutan, as long as the ZMF pilot pad is comfy and will protect the original headband i'll be happy :)

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #15,702 of 18,758
I will have someone make a custom cable for TH900 MK2 .He is using Litz cables. If anyone has used Litz 7N copper balanced cables or the pure Litz silver ones, would you please share your experiences? Does it make Th900 sound brighter if pure silver Litz cables are used? Or is there any loss in micro details/resolution if I use 7n OCC copper litz cable to get warmer sound? What kind of balanced cables do you think fit best with th900 to get warm and resolving sound signature without any loss in the bass details? It seems that the connectors are the same with Sennheiser hd800. Is there any difference for the connectors that we should take into account ?

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #15,703 of 18,758
I'm very late to the game, but i'm thinking of getting the TH900's as my "end game" pair. for closed headphones.
But what exactly is the difference that people have noticed between the TH900 and TH900 mk2 ? cause im sure i can find the first mark for cheaper.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #15,704 of 18,758
I'm very late to the game, but i'm thinking of getting the TH900's as my "end game" pair. for closed headphones.
But what exactly is the difference that people have noticed between the TH900 and TH900 mk2 ? cause im sure i can find the first mark for cheaper.
Nothing.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #15,705 of 18,758
cause i've seen the TH900 mk1 running for like 800$ in a store in my city, and the mk2's are running for like 1,300$ :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back