Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Mar 3, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3,407 of 3,438
how is the bass control on the TH600, also can it take sub bass boost without beeng sloppy

The sub bass in these headphones is stellar in fact it could go Toe to Toe with any hi end headphone in bass response today imo. I would not suggest boosting the sub bass but you can try it and perhaps that will be your cup of tea. If you were to boost the bass response I believe you would have too much of a good thing therefore it would likely get sloppy. Just my two cents on the matter.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #3,408 of 3,438
The sub bass in these headphones is stellar in fact it could go Toe to Toe with any hi end headphone in bass response today imo. I would not suggest boosting the sub bass but you can try it and perhaps that will be your cup of tea. If you were to boost the bass response I believe you would have too much of a good thing therefore it would likely get sloppy. Just my two cents on the matter.
thanks dude

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #3,412 of 3,438
Hey guys. Need your advice.
I have a pair of TH600. Liked those a lot...but sometimes highs are too harsh... and I like to have more mids... so I bought a pair of red caps from TH900 with damping. Installed those on my 600 and harshness is kinda reduced... soundstage becomes a bit wider... but still I want to get more... so my idea is to buy a pair of TH900 drivers form fullcompass and convert my TH600 to TH900 for cheap (kinda)... or even get massdrop TR-X00 (found it locally for 300USD new) and get MK2. So my question is with those caps and drivers installed will that be close enough to reach TH900 (mk2) or there are more to do? Additional damping? Tweaks? :)

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #3,413 of 3,438
All the sudden, the left speaker/driver on my TH600 is dead. I've just placed it on my table as usual and picked up a few minutes later. I've assumed the wires issue first but when testing the driver directly (by connecting to the soldering pads locations right on the driver) I was unable to hear anything from it.
Quick search over this and TH900 topics didn't bring any results so I'm asking here—does anyone experienced similar issue with their headphones? Is there any solution or I have to order a new driver? Will it actually sound the same as the old one? Also, I suppose it's possible to disassemble the driver—how can I do this?

Regards!

Jul 1, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #3,414 of 3,438
All the sudden, the left speaker/driver on my TH600 is dead. I've just placed it on my table as usual and picked up a few minutes later. I've assumed the wires issue first but when testing the driver directly (by connecting to the soldering pads locations right on the driver) I was unable to hear anything from it.
Quick search over this and TH900 topics didn't bring any results so I'm asking here—does anyone experienced similar issue with their headphones? Is there any solution or I have to order a new driver? Will it actually sound the same as the old one? Also, I suppose it's possible to disassemble the driver—how can I do this?

Regards!
I would contact Fostex. They will probably have you do some basic troubleshooting and then recommend repair. If you're under warranty, they should fix it minus shipping costs.

Jul 1, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #3,415 of 3,438
Hey guys. Need your advice.
I have a pair of TH600. Liked those a lot...but sometimes highs are too harsh... and I like to have more mids... so I bought a pair of red caps from TH900 with damping. Installed those on my 600 and harshness is kinda reduced... soundstage becomes a bit wider... but still I want to get more... so my idea is to buy a pair of TH900 drivers form fullcompass and convert my TH600 to TH900 for cheap (kinda)... or even get massdrop TR-X00 (found it locally for 300USD new) and get MK2. So my question is with those caps and drivers installed will that be close enough to reach TH900 (mk2) or there are more to do? Additional damping? Tweaks? :)
Equalizer. Why does it seem people try everything but an equalizer which is guaranteed to work? Now that is assuming that you are willing to accept that the TH600 is not the TH900 (I have owned both and liked both). If you are going to do all of that work and expense, and maybe not get exactly what you want, why did you not just buy a used TH900? It sounds like you are going to spend enough money that you would be close anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #3,416 of 3,438
Equalizer. Why does it seem people try everything but an equalizer which is guaranteed to work? Now that is assuming that you are willing to accept that the TH600 is not the TH900 (I have owned both and liked both). If you are going to do all of that work and expense, and maybe not get exactly what you want, why did you not just buy a used TH900? It sounds like you are going to spend enough money that you would be close anyway.
Actually i have an equalizer. Loki Shiit. But still...
Yep i did almost all of what i was plannig to do... but a bit different. I bought new Mahogany Massdrop pair with detachable cables... then bought th900 drivers and swap those... then swap cups to red sexy and last step was to cut that long wire in half and then reterminate it to balanced.

So now i have th600... and th900mkII

So about prices:
1. Used Cups $100
2. NEW Magogany Massdrop - $300
3. NEW TH900 Drivers - $250
4. NEW Balanced connector. Neutrick - $6

So in total it takes $650 to build. I think it's really good deal.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #3,417 of 3,438
Actually i have an equalizer. Loki Shiit. But still...
Yep i did almost all of what i was plannig to do... but a bit different. I bought new Mahogany Massdrop pair with detachable cables... then bought th900 drivers and swap those... then swap cups to red sexy and last step was to cut that long wire in half and then reterminate it to balanced.

So now i have th600... and th900mkII

So about prices:
1. Used Cups $100
2. NEW Magogany Massdrop - $350
3. NEW TH900 Drivers - $250
4. NEW Balanced connector. Neutrick - $6

So in total it takes $700 to build. I think it's really good deal.
You know what, I stand corrected, that is an excellent deal. Good on you to put the deal and the headphone together. I take it you enjoy the build, and really, I should have figured that out and not even posted what I did. My bad so apologies mate, enjoy what must be an excellent headphone.

Jul 2, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #3,418 of 3,438
You know what, I stand corrected, that is an excellent deal. Good on you to put the deal and the headphone together. I take it you enjoy the build, and really, I should have figured that out and not even posted what I did. My bad so apologies mate, enjoy what must be an excellent headphone.
Nah... all good man :)

Have a good one.

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #3,420 of 3,438
I just figured I'd post some pictures of my pair because I'm in love with them. They were gifted to me by a member on here. These turned me into a Fostex fanboy for sure. Running them off a Schiit Hersey.

I'd say to.. the average joe they'll sound amazing stock. But I'm a nutjob I did some mods (all reversible) to get them the way I like:

-Geekria Sheepskin Pads (I don't hear anyone talking about them but they're very nice)
-Did the little foam ring EZ-Mods thing to the position where the notch in the foam lines up with the bigger section of the lock port.
-Used CLD material (SecondSkin Damplifier Pro) on the inside of the metal cups, and then lined them with tesatape (cloth tape) to get rid of the reflections.
-Modmic 4.0 into a Syba USB adapter (it needs the 5v of phantom power)

I love the fostex TH series because it's a really good platform to create the sound you're after.

Before all the mods, I had them heavily EQ'd and after the mods there's really only a db adjustment here and there. I'm very sensitive to resonance, and these rang like a mofo, but now they don't.

schiit heresy.jpg
owow.jpg
stand.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back