Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jul 13, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #2,776 of 3,438
  If its a regular screw with threads and you can keep it all the way in and not move it for 24 hours, then it should hold.
Okay, maybe i am misunderstanding what you meant.  Are basically saying that you can't get to the screw because there is no room to insert the screwdriver because the cups block the space?

If so, then the cups can be removed, but you have to take out the earpads first to reveal the screws that hold in the cup backs.

Here's a video link on how to do this (its for the D2000, but should be the same for the TH600): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbnTewPxoZU

After removing the back, it should clear the way for a screwdriver.  Before you tighten it up, you can try using a drop loctite in the gap where it has loosened to keep it from getting loose in the future.

Yes! Sorry for my poor English. That's exactly what I wanted to know! Thank's a lot! =)

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #2,777 of 3,438
  Yes! Sorry for my poor English. That's exactly what I wanted to know! Thank's a lot! =)

Oh, if you do use loctite, make sure it is loctite blue (also known as Loctite 242 threadlocker). It is a very mild glue that is made to hold screws in place.  There are higher strength thread glues (like yellow or red), but i wouldn't recommend it for headphones because its hard to remove.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #2,778 of 3,438
No experience on th600, but on denon d7000, lawton pads do reduce the bass. I was able to bring the bass back by adding deeper wood cups. I don't know if the different pads and cups on stock th600 will lead to a different result. On d7000, once it's damped I still prefer sound with lawton pads vs stock. Less bass but everything else better. That being said, I was pretty thrilled when I added deeper cups and bass became more prominent. Balance is perfect for me now.

Anyone know of replacement TH600 earpads that are slightly taller than stock and don't reduce the bass? Losing the bass isn't worth gaining a bit of comfort, but the pads do get uncomfortable for me after an hour or two of wear.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #2,779 of 3,438

Anyone know of replacement TH600 earpads that are slightly taller than stock and don't reduce the bass? Losing the bass isn't worth gaining a bit of comfort, but the pads do get uncomfortable for me after an hour or two of wear.

Here's a thread about Lawton pads and others:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592490/impressions-new-lawton-audio-angle-pads-sheepskin-leather-pictures-added

Modding for TH900 is more common but with the same results. You should ask on some of those threads like:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763965/fostex-th900-mods

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2,780 of 3,438
Thanks, @Sweetmeat 

Does anyone have an amp they think pairs super well with the Fostex TH600? My Cayin C5 is great with almost all of my other headphones, but doesn't pair super well with the Fostex.

Right now, I'm swapping between a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR (which actually does pair very well with them, but is at home) and ODAC revB + Objective2 (which pairs decently well at work).

I love warm sound with sub-bass emphasis and smooth highs. Something that takes a little of the edge off the upper end and gives me even more chest-thumping sub-bass impact would be ideal.

I don't need portability, as this will be for my work desktop. I also don't need an integrated DAC. I can go from the ODAC into whatever I pick up.

I'm hoping to keep the budget as low as possible, so options in the <$200 range would be favored, but I'd still be interested to know what the steps up beyond that point are.

I listen a variety of music, but at work I mostly listen to things like liquid dubstep, ambient bass, and classical since those genres can enter the background while I work. At home, I favor rock, more forward electronic music, hip hop, jazz, and various metal genres.

Should I be looking at tubes?

Thanks!

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #2,781 of 3,438
  Thanks, @Sweetmeat 

Does anyone have an amp they think pairs super well with the Fostex TH600? My Cayin C5 is great with almost all of my other headphones, but doesn't pair super well with the Fostex.

Right now, I'm swapping between a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR (which actually does pair very well with them, but is at home) and ODAC revB + Objective2 (which pairs decently well at work).

I love warm sound with sub-bass emphasis and smooth highs. Something that takes a little of the edge off the upper end and gives me even more chest-thumping sub-bass impact would be ideal.

I don't need portability, as this will be for my work desktop. I also don't need an integrated DAC. I can go from the ODAC into whatever I pick up.

I'm hoping to keep the budget as low as possible, so options in the <$200 range would be favored, but I'd still be interested to know what the steps up beyond that point are.

I listen a variety of music, but at work I mostly listen to things like liquid dubstep, ambient bass, and classical since those genres can enter the background while I work. At home, I favor rock, more forward electronic music, hip hop, jazz, and various metal genres.

Should I be looking at tubes?

Thanks!

I ran it out of three different vintage speaker amps, all Pioneers, and was amazed how good the sound was and how strong the bass was.  You can get into a vintage amp for less than your budget. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #2,783 of 3,438

Awesome! Any suggestions for models? I know absolutely nothing about vintage amps.

Any of - Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, Sansui, Kenwood from the late 70's.  If you look at craigslist in your town.  I just did a search for you...........here's a few to consider as good starters at a reasonable price.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5125852617.html - $35
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5121600454.html - $65
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5113774735.html - $105
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5068599403.html - $240
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5111591170.html - $40

Can't go wrong for $35-105.................

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #2,785 of 3,438
@Luckbad, my picks for over $200 would be a Project Solstice ($250), Project Ember ($350), Gustard H-10 ($350) or Lyr2 ($450).  The Ember is one of the most versatile amps that I've come across while the Solstice is the less powerful version, the Gustard H-10 is a SS amp that sounds like a tube and the Lyr2 can drive almost anything you throw at it but good tubes can get pricy.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #2,786 of 3,438
If you can find a second hand ALO Pan-Am, since they have been discontinued, that sounds very good with the TH-600 as well.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #2,787 of 3,438
I put the TH900 and the D7000s roughly on the same page, while the TH600 and D5000 comparable but with different sound signatures. 

Compared to the new Denons, Fostex has done a much better job at preserving the Denon sound.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #2,788 of 3,438
  I put the TH900 and the D7000s roughly on the same page, while the TH600 and D5000 comparable but with different sound signatures. 

Compared to the new Denons, Fostex has done a much better job at preserving the Denon sound.

what are you on about the th600 is a better headphone than the d7000's and the th900 trumps both of them by a fair margin, and its not the denon sound it is the fostex sound made by foster company. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,789 of 3,438
I think you misinterpreted my post. My point was that TH900 in a similar tier to the D7000, but the TH900 has a richer, more full body sound. I think the comparable is what was confusing, as I meant, the TH600 and the D5000 are relatively comparable. 

You do know that Fostex made the Denon D7000 and D5000 so even though it's a Fostex sound, they made the Denon line before the TH line.

<----TH900---D7000------TH600--D5000---> 

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #2,790 of 3,438
  I think you misinterpreted my post. My point was that TH900 in a similar tier to the D7000, but the TH900 has a richer, more full body sound. I think the comparable is what was confusing, as I meant, the TH600 and the D5000 are relatively comparable. 

You do know that Fostex made the Denon D7000 and D5000 so even though it's a Fostex sound, they made the Denon line before the TH line.

<----TH900---D7000------TH600--D5000-

yes I did know fostex made the d7000's downwards I said that in my post it was you who grouped the fostex th900/600's and said its a denon sound which I replied and told you its not, and from somebody who has both the d7000's and th900's they are not in the same tier or level at all the fostex is a 2000 dollar headphone while the d7000 was a thousand dollar headphone, hell even the th600 was 1200 dollars when new and sounded like a much upgraded d7000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back