Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jun 28, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,746 of 3,438
Does it make sense to look at portable amps cause most of the time i will use it on the go. Thx again

Can't help you much with portable amps as I don't have any and only tried a few.  Also, I don't use my TH-600 while I'm out, I usually use efficient headphones like Momentum Over-Ear, MDR-1A or Vmoda XS so the Fiio X1, X3 and X3ii are more than enough.  As for portable amps I really don't want to carry around anything extra, a lot of times I'll just use my Galaxy S5 with the Vmoda XS as even the Fiio DAPs are too much to lug around.  Since you have an X5ii then you might want to look at a Fiio amp, they make holders that will pair the DAP and AMP together so it will be easier to manage.
Good Luck

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #2,748 of 3,438
Can't help you much with portable amps as I don't have any and only tried a few.  Also, I don't use my TH-600 while I'm out, I usually use efficient headphones like Momentum Over-Ear, MDR-1A or Vmoda XS so the Fiio X1, X3 and X3ii are more than enough.  As for portable amps I really don't want to carry around anything extra, a lot of times I'll just use my Galaxy S5 with the Vmoda XS as even the Fiio DAPs are too much to lug around.  Since you have an X5ii then you might want to look at a Fiio amp, they make holders that will pair the DAP and AMP together so it will be easier to manage.
Good Luck

Thx again for useful info :)

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #2,752 of 3,438
My local dealer has these headphones at closeout for $450. But the reason it's at closeout is because the model had been discontinued. Is it a wise choice to go for this given there will be practically no warranty (since you can't get replacements or parts after they stop manufacturing the headphones), and given they are supposedly relative fragile, compared to, say the Shure 1540?

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,753 of 3,438
  My local dealer has these headphones at closeout for $450. But the reason it's at closeout is because the model had been discontinued. Is it a wise choice to go for this given there will be practically no warranty (since you can't get replacements or parts after they stop manufacturing the headphones), and given they are supposedly relative fragile, compared to, say the Shure 1540?

You should buy them right away at that great price. You can still get parts because Fostex will continue to make TH900s which use the same frame. But if you use them at home and keep them on a stand they will never break. If you're planning to toss them around then go for the Shure.

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #2,754 of 3,438

I bought them at the same price from B&H. I was very apprehensive about it because I already had a Denon D2000, but once i heard these headphones, i was glad i did; especialy now that theyre getting discontinued. I figured it was my last chance to get them at a good price.

It is a notable improvement over the D2000 for sure; enough for me to want to sell the D2000 now. The D2000 i have held up well in durability over the last 3 years, with just some flaking of the pleather. Then again, i've only used these at home.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,755 of 3,438
Is there a new version of these coming, or a TH-700 or something? I sold my 600s a while back but have kind of missed them ever since, and the 900s are a little out my price range (and not mad about the wood finish). The TH-500s seem to be getting good reviews but I need closed backs. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,757 of 3,438
  How bad do these leak sound, really?

IMO the leakage claims are over stated. I use them at work every day; with typical office background noise, they are completely silent from a few feet away. In a place with no background noise like a library, bedroom, etc., then yes, there is a little leakage, on par with Apple earbuds maybe. Enough to bother someone right next to you but still less than most open dynamic headphones and way, way less than an open planar. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,758 of 3,438

IMO the leakage claims are over stated. I use them at work every day; with typical office background noise, they are completely silent from a few feet away. In a place with no background noise like a library, bedroom, etc., then yes, there is a little leakage, on par with Apple earbuds maybe. Enough to bother someone right next to you but still less than most open dynamic headphones and way, way less than an open planar. 

That's a fair assessment of the sound leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back