Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
May 28, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #2,671 of 3,438
Anyone make removable cables for their TH-600?  I've made my removable with HIFIMAN SMC connectors on the cups, it was the smallest jacks that I could find and also having 3 other HIFIMAN headphones means I can build 4 different cable lengths and use which one works best at the moment,  Need to give credit to @cCasper TFG for all his wisdom in how to o this mod, couldn't have done it with out his help.

See pic below:

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #2,672 of 3,438
Guys do you think there is going to be a new model to the th600?

razordogaudio confirmed with me they are discontinued and will not get new shipments in.

Do you guys think its still worth it to buy a TH600 for 500$?  Or should I wait for Foxtex next generation?

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,675 of 3,438
hmmmmmmmmm well I mean just as I was in the market for one they go to discontinued status.  

I dont want to buy them now then a month later a newer better model comes out, that would piss me off to no end.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,676 of 3,438
If you like the sound of the TH-600 then I would get them, the sound signature of the new one may or may not be better to you, granted you will always be able to find a used one.   Also, if you get the TH-600 now you will have enjoyed it until such time the new model comes out.  If you like the sound of the new model then you could sell the TH-600 and put that toward the new one.
I got my TH-600 a few months ago and love it, I also auditioned a TH-900 and to me the price was not justified over the TH-600, but that's just me.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #2,677 of 3,438
  If you like the sound of the TH-600 then I would get them, the sound signature of the new one may or may not be better to you, granted you will always be able to find a used one.   Also, if you get the TH-600 now you will have enjoyed it until such time the new model comes out.  If you like the sound of the new model then you could sell the TH-600 and put that toward the new one.
I got my TH-600 a few months ago and love it, I also auditioned a TH-900 and to me the price was not justified over the TH-600, but that's just me.

The thing for me right now is I am looking for a headphone with spectacular bass.

I do want an Audeze LCD2, however it is a bit out of my price range for now.  I am not a basshead, although I want my headphones to be able to rumble and punch me in the ass when I want them too.  I have heard the audeze go extremely low, although the quantity is not huge the bass on the cans is extremely high quality.  But I have read many times they are not basshead cans.

The fostex seem like they have that punch and rumble that I want, without really lacking in everything else.

I had a hifiman he400 that I returned.  I did like the bass from the headphones but the mids and shrill treble made me not like them at all.

So I know the kind of person that I am.  I know that if I buy the fostex th600 right now, I will always be thinking "god I still want the LCD2".  Unless, I hear the LCD2 and know that I dont like them.  

I would like to hear anyones experience that either has heard both the th600 / LCD2, or owns both sets.

Which one has better bass?  Impact / quantity / rumble?  

What type of differences in bass do each headphone have?  

Which one has more clarity in mids and highs?

Would I notice a huge difference from one being closed and one being open?  I know many people say the fostex sounds like an open can even though its closed.  But would an LCD2 still sound more spacious and open?

Obviously, the TH600 is more comfortable -- Im sure there is no contest here.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,678 of 3,438

You'd want to buy the newest model? Why? Look at the prices of the TH600 and TH900 when they first came out. Look at how much more affordable they've become now.

IDK why you'd want a headphone when it just gets released... often times price can fall down. TH600 and TH900 are great examples of this.

I guess this is just people wanting the newest thing, why people run out to buy the newest laptop, iphone, etc. I'm still happy with my Iphone 4. Not the 4s...the 4. If you wait a little, you can save a lot.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2,679 of 3,438

The thing for me right now is I am looking for a headphone with spectacular bass.

I do want an Audeze LCD2, however it is a bit out of my price range for now.  I am not a basshead, although I want my headphones to be able to rumble and punch me in the ass when I want them too.  I have heard the audeze go extremely low, although the quantity is not huge the bass on the cans is extremely high quality.  But I have read many times they are not basshead cans.

The fostex seem like they have that punch and rumble that I want, without really lacking in everything else.

I had a hifiman he400 that I returned.  I did like the bass from the headphones but the mids and shrill treble made me not like them at all.

So I know the kind of person that I am.  I know that if I buy the fostex th600 right now, I will always be thinking "god I still want the LCD2".  Unless, I hear the LCD2 and know that I dont like them.  

I would like to hear anyones experience that either has heard both the th600 / LCD2, or owns both sets.

Which one has better bass?  Impact / quantity / rumble?  

What type of differences in bass do each headphone have?  

Which one has more clarity in mids and highs?

Would I notice a huge difference from one being closed and one being open?  I know many people say the fostex sounds like an open can even though its closed.  But would an LCD2 still sound more spacious and open?

Obviously, the TH600 is more comfortable -- Im sure there is no contest here.

I would venture to say from everything I have read, that the TH600 will be a good deal more bright than the LCD2's. The LCD probably has more forward mids. I haven't heard the LCD2, but it's one of those I'd also like to try out for a few hours.

The TH600 is likely more comfortable, lightweight, and far more easy to power. I went from TH900 to TH600 and I'm very happy with my 600, if that means anything.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #2,680 of 3,438
@illitirit, I also have a LCD-2f, the bass on the TH-600 IMO is really fun, the LCD-2f can be to laid back for some genre of music that I listen to.

Lower bass: LCD2
Bass quantity: TH-600, but goes low enough for me that I don't feel like I'm missing something

Mids: smoother on LCD2, more forward and lively on TH-600

Highs: Crisp and extended on TH-600, sometimes can be a little bright, just about right on LCD2 for me, does nothing wrong.

Sound Stage: pretty good on TH-600 but slightly better on LCD2

These are very different sound signatures and you will easily be able to tell them apart.  Above is my impressions using UD-301 DAC and Project Ember (12AXX7 Telefunken, low impedance for LCD2 and mid impedance for TH-600).  If you want a fun headphone that you can rock with I'd take the TH-600, if you want a smooth better balanced sound then the LCD2 is the better choice.
Note that there is a noticeable difference between the fazor and non-fazor versions of the LCD-2, I'm one of those that like the fazor version better, I like the mids better with the fazor.

Good luck!

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #2,681 of 3,438
  @illitirit, I also have a LCD-2f, the bass on the TH-600 IMO is really fun, the LCD-2f can be to laid back for some genre of music that I listen to.

Lower bass: LCD2
Bass quantity: TH-600, but goes low enough for me that I don't feel like I'm missing something

Mids: smoother on LCD2, more forward and lively on TH-600

Highs: Crisp and extended on TH-600, sometimes can be a little bright, just about right on LCD2 for me, does nothing wrong.

Sound Stage: pretty good on TH-600 but slightly better on LCD2

These are very different sound signatures and you will easily be able to tell them apart.  Above is my impressions using UD-301 DAC and Project Ember (12AXX7 Telefunken, low impedance for LCD2 and mid impedance for TH-600).  If you want a fun headphone that you can rock with I'd take the TH-600, if you want a smooth better balanced sound then the LCD2 is the better choice.
Note that there is a noticeable difference between the fazor and non-fazor versions of the LCD-2, I'm one of those that like the fazor version better, I like the mids better with the fazor.

Good luck!

thank you very much for the comparison.

Do you ever feel like the LCD2 doesnt have enough bass?  Thats whats making me hesitate right now.  I know the TH600 will have plenty of bass and some to spare.  But for the LCD2, do you ever have moments when your like "man, i wish there was more bass" ?

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #2,683 of 3,438

Do you ever feel like the LCD2 doesnt have enough bass?  Thats whats making me hesitate right now.  I know the TH600 will have plenty of bass and some to spare.  But for the LCD2, do you ever have moments when your like "man, i wish there was more bass" ?

I was pretty surprised with how much bass the TH600 has. It's a good headphone if you like your bass.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #2,684 of 3,438

Once in a great while I do wish the LCD-2 had a touch more bass.  Guess that's why I keep the HE-400 for the nice planar bass and a DT-990 for some dynamic bass.  For the LCD-2 I think that the amp that you use will have a larger impact on how much and type of bass you get than the TH-600 which seems easier to pair and drive.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #2,685 of 3,438
  Once in a great while I do wish the LCD-2 had a touch more bass.  Guess that's why I keep the HE-400 for the nice planar bass and a DT-990 for some dynamic bass.  For the LCD-2 I think that the amp that you use will have a larger impact on how much and type of bass you get than the TH-600 which seems easier to pair and drive.

Wow, do you think the HE-400 has better bass than the LCD2?

That would surprise me.

When I owned the HE400 I did love the bass, but I wanted a tad more.  If the LCD2 actually has less, then I think a fostex th600 would probably be all that I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back