Fostex T60RP
May 7, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #1,008 of 1,450
Just ordered a pair of t60rp's I am looking for a longer cable and is it worth getting a set of ZMF pads or sticking with the stock ones?

ZMF oval suedes for sure on T60 as recommended by a top T50 tuner. I would try have redco whip up a cheap TRRS to XLR and I believe a standard TRS will do for single ended as I think the - are at the back.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #1,011 of 1,450
My Monoprice THX portable amp drives my Dekoni Blue so well, I’m thinking about picking one of the T60’s up when I get a chance. Anyone here that can do a comparison between the Dekoni and the T60? I’d like to know what to expect different from what I have. Love the look of those wood cups!

May 7, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,016 of 1,450
i wear them at home and my wife is unaware of any sound, unlike my Grado headphones

For T60RP, T50RP the oval is best as it is designed around the T50RP.

May 8, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,017 of 1,450
Analog Equalizers do not preserve the phase, while the latest software ones do. As for soft clipping it can be precisely (surgically) be tuned by multi band dynamic compressors such as the ToneBoosters v3 and v4 that can be visually adjusted both in time and in the frequency domain and if you like the pleasing distortion of analog equipment such as the ones used by
today's great mastering engineers utilizing 50's and 60's hardware you can have that too by adding the Acustica authorized plugins that clone those hardware and have been found to equal them by the original hardware manufactures of those analog consoles amps etc..
To do this it will be necessary to 1) learn the basics of mastering, 2)to make sure that your source, amp, and phones are phase linear and that your amp is as close to a zero output impedance across the entire frequency spectrum.
Once you fine tune a recording to your own system and preferences you can save the PCM file convert it to DSD and use your hires DAC to achieve vinyl smooth analog sound.

here is the link for Acustica
http://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/pink

I provided the other links in a prior post one or two pages before

I am jumping on the thunderpants bandwagon with zebrawood cups courtesy of https://www.vibrolabs.com/fostex-cups/zebrawood, does it matter if I use MK2 or MK3 driver in this?

Hope you don't mind me asking as I know you have experience with these drivers.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #1,018 of 1,450
I am jumping on the thunderpants bandwagon with zebrawood cups courtesy of https://www.vibrolabs.com/fostex-cups/zebrawood, does it matter if I use MK2 or MK3 driver in this?

Hope you don't mind me asking as I know you have experience with these drivers.

A few days ago I converted my ZMF Blackwood SE Purple Hearts that came
with Mk II baffles and drivers to Mk III baffles and MK II, drivers. That is I kept
the original ZMF drivers and just placed them in MK III baffles.

Zack told me that he also modifies the drivers themselves so I used them and
at a later time, I will replace them with stock Foster Mk III to see the difference,
and after that with Mayflower V3 to see that difference also.

The initial result was immediately impressive as loudness and dynamics jumped
up and bass that was never there and made me think that the unit I was sold from
another head-fier was defective came all back. Soon after I realized the unit was
very, very tiresome. So I went back and I adjusted Zack's tuning of the driver and
the cup and on my second attempt, I had something I would greatly enjoy for
several hours. All this without adding the ring to enlarge the enclosure to achieve
the 3d holographic effect on each individual note, instrument, and voice.

Zack's woods and pads work wonders with minimal effort on the tuning.
I will try to further tune my set to see if I can make it sound exactly like the T60.

As it is now it is slightly leaner on base and somewhat closer to the front row with a
bit smaller soundstage. It can be corrected by sophisticated DSP's to the point it
easily kills the 2k$ sets out there, but it cannot be made to sound exactly like a T60.

Many people may prefer it the way it is over the T60. I can live with either one but if I had
to choose one of the two I would take the T60 for now. (wait for the third tuning attempt)

I would not buy the kit in the link provided, even though it is gorgeous.
For one, I can make one myself for less money,
two the size is small,
three it has an Mk II baffle that drove all the moders out of business when the Mk III came out,
and four a Thunderpant is all wood both baffle and cup.

Hope I answered your question. Good luck and happy listening.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #1,019 of 1,450
A few days ago I converted my ZMF Blackwood SE Purple Hearts that came
with Mk II baffles and drivers to Mk III baffles and MK II, drivers. That is I kept
the original ZMF drivers and just placed them in MK III baffles.

Zack told me that he also modifies the drivers themselves so I used them and
at a later time, I will replace them with stock Foster Mk III to see the difference,
and after that with Mayflower V3 to see that difference also.

The initial result was immediately impressive as loudness and dynamics jumped
up and bass that was never there and made me think that the unit I was sold from
another head-fier was defective came all back. Soon after I realized the unit was
very, very tiresome. So I went back and I adjusted Zack's tuning of the driver and
the cup and on my second attempt, I had something I would greatly enjoy for
several hours. All this without adding the ring to enlarge the enclosure to achieve
the 3d holographic effect on each individual note, instrument, and voice.

Zack's woods and pads work wonders with minimal effort on the tuning.
I will try to further tune my set to see if I can make it sound exactly like the T60.

As it is now it is slightly leaner on base and somewhat closer to the front row with a
bit smaller soundstage. It can be corrected by sophisticated DSP's to the point it
easily kills the 2k$ sets out there, but it cannot be made to sound exactly like a T60.

Many people may prefer it the way it is over the T60. I can live with either one but if I had
to choose one of the two I would take the T60 for now. (wait for the third tuning attempt)

I would not buy the kit in the link provided, even though it is gorgeous.
For one, I can make one myself for less money,
two the size is small,
three it has an Mk II baffle that drove all the moders out of business when the Mk III came out,
and four a Thunderpant is all wood both baffle and cup.

Hope I answered your question. Good luck and happy listening.

Thank for the reply, I might transfer the MK2 drivers into the MK3 plates so I can use the pad rings and then modhouse can mod it as a hybrid. The reason being it's a T-X0 base which is all black. I can then use the MK3 drivers in this.

Honestly $140 is not bad and I do not have access to wood turning gear so I am happy to pay this to tinker with something unique. I may end up getting into it enough to learn how to make them.

These take MK3 and this company actually made cups for other vendors so they have experience. Even the Ori had an abs baffle plate and it sounds great.
The cups are also wide enough to fit brainwavz xl's or Eikon pads.

I'm pretty confident they will sound good as users have reported back with positive results.

I will be able to compare them to Argon, T60RP, Alpha Prime's from memory and to a cherry Ori that I have right now which sounds very good. So it's fair to say I know the drivers pretty well.

Sidenote: I do want a T60RP again and use my ZMF oval suedes on it.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #1,020 of 1,450
Hm.. Should I buy T60RP? I'm interested to buy this headphone from Amazon Japan, 250 USD w/o shipping + import taxes
Is there any other alternatives within the price range?
Note: I really like ATH-MSR7(SE), T50RP MK3, Fostex TH900, Modded Sennheiser HD800.

edit:
An interesting bundle. Including balance cable, HP-A4BL with wood exterior, headphone stand.
But I prefer to save money for only headphones instead because still have FiiO E10K
fAlkutF.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back