Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Apr 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #436 of 2,829
Hello,

Sorry if this question was asked before, but I waned to ask — how thirdparty earpads fits Fostex? I've treid to use pair of Brainwavz HM5 pads (hoping it's the same as Fischer FA-003 ones), but they looks smaller then Fostex ones.

Is there any trick, or I should simply pull harder?

Thank you.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #437 of 2,829
Quote:
Hello,

Sorry if this question was asked before, but I waned to ask — how thirdparty earpads fits Fostex? I've treid to use pair of Brainwavz HM5 pads (hoping it's the same as Fischer FA-003 ones), but they looks smaller then Fostex ones.

Is there any trick, or I should simply pull harder?

Thank you.

They are too small to easily install. I've ripped a couple of sets. One alternative is to use 'micmacmo's' "inner tube mod. He cut and sewed on inner tube pad flaps that make installing them easy. They also make a perfect seal onto the cups. Otherwise, you could try mounting them with double sided tape.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #438 of 2,829
Quote:
All I did was mod a set of headphones for 'mrscotchguy.' I did not expect anything in return more than a "thank-you." Here's what arrived at my office, today - A Scotch Connoisseur's Supreme Sampler with 25 year-old Scotch and a Limited Edition bottle of Bernheim's. I  am blown away by his thoughtfulness and generosity. Talk about "Give More Than You Take!"

Thanks, so much, MrScotchGuy.

BMF
beerchug.gif

I bet the whiskey does affect the sound of the mod, probally more veil and more distant lol.
Bottom up 
size]

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #439 of 2,829
Quote:
above and beyond! We will forgive the ensuing barrage of typos BMF

Yes, he did. I promise to not drink and tpye.  
blink.gif

Quote:
Wow, talks about a guy who lives up to his namesake. Cheers (literally!)

Apropos 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
You are most certainly welcome, BMF!  Whisky and Headphones are my two favorite hobbies, the similarities are striking.  Enjoy responsibly, and save the Laphroaig for last! 
size]

For anyone curious about the bottle of the Limited Edt. whiskey in the picture... Bernheim contacted me and asked if I had any interest in a one-off single barrel of their "good stuff".  How do you say no to that?!  After tasting several cask samples at over 125 Proof,  I fell in love with the batch you see above.  It is a tough job to drink professionally, but somehow I manage on a daily basis.  Five months after making my decision, 288 bottles and a 53-gallon wood barrel arrive at my store.  We're nearing the tail end of it, but I am thinking I will save the last case for myself.  Bernheim is truly unique being a Wheat Whiskey, but I can geek out on whisk(e)y for days.  I will spare everyone that for now!

I had fun with this, and look forward to listening to true BMF DBVs.  Just remember what I told you BMF, if anyone comes knocking on your door asking about those little bottles, you received "computer parts" in the mail.  Liquid cooling??? 
size]

More like "liquid gold." But I have not yet figured out how to install the little bottles in my computer.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #442 of 2,829
Quote:
I bet the whiskey does affect the sound of the mod, probally more veil and more distant lol.
Bottom up 
size]

Oh I can pretty much guarantee you that polishing off the Lap will increase headspace beyond comprehension:wink:

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #443 of 2,829
Might as well post my findings here regarding the beyer gel pads with DBV #3. It needs work. Note though that I am listening to it as of the time of writing and already clocked in 20 painful minutes. 1st major problem: honky sharp midrange. Some female vocals still work, but to me who mainly listens to a lot of anime songs.... yeah, pain. I assume there's this rather severe V shape for the midrange only (this is what I see looking at foobar's spectrum visualisation and listening my test tracks) which somewhat baffles me.

The other problem are flat (not the good flat, the boring one) bass and uneven treble (which doesn't have spikes oddly enough), both of which are really low compared to the WTFmidrange.

Mod status: DBV #3 except I'm using acoustipack (or what it's called) instead of silverstone on the cup floors. That's the only difference (and not using shure pads duh). Using beyer gel pads together with the included foam disk, which seems to be some sort of open-cell at around ~4mm thick.

Since the ear-side baffle is a bit recessed compared to its lips, the beyer gel pads create a weird chamber in front of the baffle, in addition to the chamber created when the phones are worn. I'm guessing that contributes to the painful weird signature. I'm thinking of filling this gap using some soft felt and maybe with some soft, dense foam (the ones like those exercise mats, only way thinner).

Stopped listening since it's just plain weird.

Another disclaimer: my sound memory isn't that great I think (better err on the side of caution IMO) but from using the DBV #3 mod, all of my songs sound just right. The beyer pads just destroyed those feelings.

I could maybe post a picture of the gap if I can get enough lighting and the proper angle.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #444 of 2,829
Quote:
Might as well post my findings here regarding the beyer gel pads with DBV #3. It needs work. Note though that I am listening to it as of the time of writing and already clocked in 20 painful minutes. 1st major problem: honky sharp midrange. Some female vocals still work, but to me who mainly listens to a lot of anime songs.... yeah, pain. I assume there's this rather severe V shape for the midrange only (this is what I see looking at foobar's spectrum visualisation and listening my test tracks) which somewhat baffles me.

Another disclaimer: my sound memory isn't that great I think (better err on the side of caution IMO) but from using the DBV #3 mod, all of my songs sound just right. The beyer pads just destroyed those feelings.

jgray91,

Thanks for this post. You saved me some bucks. I was planning on ordering some Beyer Gel Pads to try. Not now :)

I wonder if putting Open cell foam in the space created by Beyer Gel Pads will suck out your bass. My experiments with Shure Velour pads showed massive suck-out with a very steep cliff from 100 Hz, down. If you don't get good results with open cell foam, maybe try Closed cell foam or other more dense material?

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #445 of 2,829
I wanted to post some quick notes on my DBV3 modded 50rps... All I can say is wow.... these mods took what in my opinion was a terrible sounding headphone (sorry if it offends... but they really are terrible stock) to an outstanding one. Out of my collection, these are quite magical with strings and vocals now. There is always the cliche about hearing things you never heard before or did not notice, and this does not happen often and not to this level. These really bring out hidden / low level parts of the recording in a magical way! It has been quite some time since I have had a smirk on my face like this listening to music to the point even the wife noticed I was grinning. And wondering why I looked like a 1/2 arsed optimus prime with copper thingies sticking up off my head. But she knew... she said "you must really like those" and I just nodded as I do!

In short, outstanding and well done. These mods are without a doubt a requirement for these headphones in my partially humble opinion. They literally went from me wanting to sell immediately to finding a permanent home in my collection. I appreciate very much all the time and work that went into bringing these mods to everyone! Do not even second guess the choice, make it happen!

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #446 of 2,829
Quote:
I wanted to post some quick notes on my DBV3 modded 50rps... All I can say is wow.... these mods took what in my opinion was a terrible sounding headphone (sorry if it offends... but they really are terrible stock) to an outstanding one. Out of my collection, these are quite magical with strings and vocals now. There is always the cliche about hearing things you never heard before or did not notice, and this does not happen often and not to this level. These really bring out hidden / low level parts of the recording in a magical way! It has been quite some time since I have had a smirk on my face like this listening to music to the point even the wife noticed I was grinning. And wondering why I looked like a 1/2 arsed optimus prime with copper thingies sticking up off my head. But she knew... she said "you must really like those" and I just nodded as I do!

In short, outstanding and well done. These mods are without a doubt a requirement for these headphones in my partially humble opinion. They literally went from me wanting to sell immediately to finding a permanent home in my collection. I appreciate very much all the time and work that went into bringing these mods to everyone! Do not even second guess the choice, make it happen!

Just don't start calling them "The Precious" :)

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #448 of 2,829
Quote:

This is exactly the same way that I feel about them
beerchug.gif

I actually have problem taking them of once I start listening to them. I've never experienced this with any of my other cans.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #449 of 2,829
jgray91,

Thanks for this post. You saved me some bucks. I was planning on ordering some Beyer Gel Pads to try. Not now :)

I wonder if putting Open cell foam in the space created by Beyer Gel Pads will suck out your bass. My experiments with Shure Velour pads showed massive suck-out with a very steep cliff from 100 Hz, down. If you don't get good results with open cell foam, maybe try Closed cell foam or other more dense material?

Potential good news. I fixed it, and now it's somewhat like the DBV #3 again. I think. Haven't figured out how to have measurements that make sense yet (no time to figure out for now.) but FWIW I have that "just right feel again.

Will report in again in a few tens of minutes.
-------------------
13:17 Moscow time EDIT: my oh my, it's coming along swimmingly. Delicious in fact.

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #450 of 2,829
All semblance of awesomeness is restored. In fact, I think I like this a bit more since I feel like this has a bit snappier midbass, the subbass is given a little bit more volume, and the mids is a bit more prominent. I feel like the soundstage is a wee bit smaller, but like it has a larger sense of air than the standard DBV#3.

So what did I do to make the Beyer gel pad work?
----------------------------------------
[COLOR=F0B500]MATERIALS[/COLOR]

1. Beyer gel pads
1a. the included foam disk. Shown is its transparency.
2. Soft felt made from 100% polyester fibre (in this case, mine is from Creatology) cut in the size of the whole baffle
3. Dense rubber piece (the ones like those exercise mats) at 2mm, cut in the size of the felt area on the baffle.

Not shown: 3M Transpore tape.

[COLOR=F0B500]PROCEDURE[/COLOR]

So the first trial I did is to stack 3, then 2 then 1a on top of each other before putting 1 on using The Amazing Electrical Tape. That resulted in post #449. Amazing on first listen but then I started to notice some sharp spikes around 11k area.

Tried to fix them using these melamine foam scrap I have around (my supply is running low so I try to save as much as I can without cutting more from a block).

Putting them in front of the driver ear-side did little to no change.

My next trial is to took out the huge felt piece altogether and go from there. Much much better now. No treble spikes that I find painful, and this results in my impressions at the top of the post; the only difference from the final result is that the mids is a bit shouty/too forward for this midrange lover.

I figure that I have to put something in front the driver to tame the mids. Melamine foam doesn't work, and looking at the BMF Emergency Care Pack I have, there's nothing that I can put ear-side without compromising ear comfort. Then I spotted the transpore tape and I said "Why not?".

Apply directly to forehead onto the driver, making sure not to overlap the tapes. I needed two pieces of tape to cover the driver without closing the baffle port. Then put 3 on, then 1a and then 1.

The result is an amazing variation to DBV#3 with a better sealing pad perfect for the cold weather**.

**I've been running the beyer gel pad the longest time, and that included my time in Malaysia. Sweaty as all heck.

As I write this post, I have been listening to more music that I'm very familiar. I think this has a bit more detail in bass and upper mids, but no perceived detail that's usually the result of over-eager treble (all of this is inclusive with the impression at the top of this post).
-----------------

I suggest you try it out, since you have more material to try and you know your way how to make measurements that made sense. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back