Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Dec 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #241 of 2,829
The Panasonic electret mic measures flat except for a slight rise between 20 kHz and 30 kHz, if I remember correctly. It cannot be calibrated during the REW calibration loop. I used a calibration file 'symphonic' found by Claudio Negro. I copied this file and loaded it into the 'Mic calibration window' within REW configuration.

I used the 2-wire method.

The Phantom Power Supply was inserted in the sound card calibration loop as described in my Quick Pictorial  you can find in the T50RP Mod Summary Wiki and in the links listed near the beginning of Post #1 in my Incremental Mods and Measurements thread. For more detailed information, refer to the REW online setup page.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #243 of 2,829
Recently my modded Fostex T50 made its way to BMF via WJE. Wayne had loaned me a pair of headphones, and I sent my T50's his way when I returned his. I was looking for some impressions, and asked if he thought BMF would be interested in listening to them and providing some impressions and some tips as well. Keith ended up doing a little more than that, and now my T50's sound quite a bit different than when Wayne heard them, or when Keith received them. BMF basically did his DBV3 tuning but had to compensate for the drivers having the stock paper covering the driver removed.  I have some Tiff images that show the flat response but I dont know how to add them to the post, maybe Keith can help with that. Here are a couple of pics he sent documenting what he did.

The way they were configured previously, they were pretty bass heavy and lacking detail. Keith changed the sound quite a bit. Tightened up the bass, cleared up the mids, and brought out the detail that was lacking.  What he did is basically documented in that first photograph above.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #244 of 2,829
Quote:
Recently my modded Fostex T50 made its way to BMF via WJE. Wayne had loaned me a pair of headphones, and I sent my T50's his way when I returned his. I was looking for some impressions, and asked if he thought BMF would be interested in listening to them and providing some impressions and some tips as well. Keith ended up doing a little more than that, and now my T50's sound quite a bit different than when Wayne heard them, or when Keith received them. BMF basically did his DBV3 tuning but had to compensate for the drivers having the stock paper covering the driver removed.  I have some Tiff images that show the flat response but I dont know how to add them to the post, maybe Keith can help with that. Here are a couple of pics he sent documenting what he did.

The way they were configured previously, they were pretty bass heavy and lacking detail. Keith changed the sound quite a bit. Tightened up the bass, cleared up the mids, and brought out the detail that was lacking.  What he did is basically documented in that first photograph above.

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy you like how the mod sounds. It was challenging finding a configuration that compensated for the "Naked Drivers" missing stock white driver dampening material. I think I got real close to the SQ of DBV #3 With its stock white driver dampeners intact.  Below are the Before and After graphs.

Best,

BMF

Before: Red=Right. Blue=Left

After DBV #3 with 2 layers of craft felt and 20x25 mm Treble Reflector: Red=Right. Blue=Left.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #245 of 2,829
This is such an awesome thread, FA-003 Pads are the same thing as Brawinwavz Hm5 Pads correct? & Do they sound better than Sure 840 pads? http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Also does anyone know when T50RP's will go back on sale again? Thanks. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #246 of 2,829
I see most of you seem to have been tuning them to totally flat response. Here are some notes from driver maker.

– A 4-10 dB peak at aprox. 3 kHz is required to compensate earcanal
resonance
– “Theoretical flat” will sound harsh due to sharp peaks
– “natural bass” will sound like a flat normal room speaker
– “flat” will sound lean to most people

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #247 of 2,829
Quote:
I see most of you seem to have been tuning them to totally flat response. Here are some notes from driver maker.

– A 4-10 dB peak at aprox. 3 kHz is required to compensate earcanal
resonance
– “Theoretical flat” will sound harsh due to sharp peaks
– “natural bass” will sound like a flat normal room speaker
– “flat” will sound lean to most people

These are better listened to with an crossfeed at least. 
Isn't the 3kHz peak a problem only for IEMs and earbuds?

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #248 of 2,829
Brian, Keith,

Thanks for the follow-through regarding the before vs. after with Brian's Fostex headphones.  They really went through a complete transformation from the beginning until the end.  Really amazing stuff !   I owe Keith some input on my latest, and last, push with the Fostex modifications on my end.  I woke up at 5:00 a.m. and cleaned things up a bit, removed the masking tape and locked the cups back into place with screws.  

Also, I had a small cable exercise on Sunday evening where I was going to take about half the length of the stock Fostex cable and then reterminate the 3.5.mm "locking" cable end with a regular 45 degree Neutrik connector as I had replaced the 3.5mm female plug on the headphone cup with one of better quality than the standard one.  I have to get a picture posted of my findings with the stock cable and then I'll explain a bit more regarding surprises and experiences with it.

Later ... time to get ready for work today is rapidly approaching.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #249 of 2,829
This is such an awesome thread, FA-003 Pads are the same thing as Brawinwavz Hm5 Pads correct? & Do they sound better than Sure 840 pads? http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Not sure what you consider a sale but I just received a pair of (return/referb/restock) from fullcompass for $74.99 & free shipping and were clearly new in the box.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #250 of 2,829

Not sure what you consider a sale but I just received a pair of (return/referb/restock) from fullcompass for $74.99 & free shipping and they were clearly new in the box.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #252 of 2,829
The other evening, I had a need to make a small custom cable, so I went ahead and tried to source part of the cable with current materials that I had on hand.  I reached for a spare Fostex locking cable that is the standard cable that comes with the T50RPs.  To my surprise, it was purely junk when I had cut it open.  The three conductor wires were literally the thickness of a piece of thread.  Each of the wires appeared to be coated with some sort of resin to insulate them as they didn't have their own dedicated insulation material covering each individual wire.  Then, all three wires were just embedded in the rubber cable itself when the cable was molded.  So, essentially, 98% of the standard Fostex cable is just the rubber component itself.  The other 2% is the meager wires that they have used for the cable itself. I've seen such a cable practice be used in the past in some of the lower end Sennheiser headphones. It's sad when they use such junk to make cables for consumer goods.

Here is a picture that I recently took of what I found:

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #254 of 2,829
excellent looking mod.  That's quite different than how I attempted to make my custom pads.  I will eventually (after the holidays) get back to that project.. I'll take some pics when we make the 2nd set of pads if the first set goes smoothly..  By hand, that method looks considerably easier than mine, but since I'm using a machine, I think mine will probably come out looking more polished

Users who are viewing this thread

Back