Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Aug 24, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #2,718 of 2,829
Does anyone have a pair of sacrilegious Fostex mods that they like to enjoy? Like something lookin' ugly that you've transplanted the drivers into, but they sound good so you're just using them anyway?

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #2,719 of 2,829
hi,

i bought a used pair MKii and disassemble the earcups. Could someone explain whats the yellow contamination on the driverback means?
The driver itself sounds fine, also the measurements compared to the other one. The headphone was build in 2003.

fostex01.jpg fostex02.jpg

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #2,720 of 2,829
hi,

i bought a used pair MKii and disassemble the earcups. Could someone explain whats the yellow contamination on the driverback means?
The driver itself sounds fine, also the measurements compared to the other one. The headphone was build in 2003.

Some yellowish stuff is also on the mk3 drivers but on a larger surface. At least on mine. Don't know what it's for though.

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2,721 of 2,829
hi,

I once used a heat gun to loosen the glue holding the magnets in place inside the capsule. The glue liquified and looked rather yellowish. Possibly, the yellow discoloration on yours is a manufacturing flaw. If they sound fine, I wouldn’t worry about it.

From your pix, it looks like your driver wires at the capsule solder joints have been nicked. I’d use something like glue or liquid electrical tape to insulate and strengthen them.

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #2,724 of 2,829
What is the screw size or even better where can I order replacement screws for the T50rp baffle. With all the open and closing the screw heads are realy worn out and I want to replace them.

Thanks in advance.
1600986793398.png

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #2,725 of 2,829
I have a pair of modded t50rp mk2s that click in the left earcup when I move my head around and when I'm chewing/moving my jaw. It sounds almost like driver flex, but I can't find anyone else dealing with the same problems. When I push the pads into my ear, I'll hear the click when I stop pushing in. Sometimes I'll even hear the clicking with my heartbeat, which is wild. It happens when they're not plugged in as well. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing these clicking issues? It's starting to drive me a little crazy. I bought them used and already modded, so I'm not completely sure which portion of the mods may be causing this or whether there's just something wrong with the drivers. Here is the list of work that has been done to this pair:

1. took the padding off the plastic area underneath the pads, around the driver.
2. mass loaded the ballasts with some special clay i had to order from the UK.
3. covered all the bass vents with a piece of felt
4. added treble reflection dot to driver
5. added dynamat to the cups, then teased 2 cotton balls for each side and reassembled.
6. pad rolled to shure 840 pads

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,726 of 2,829
sounds like driver flex too, i had some hifimans that did the same thing

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #2,729 of 2,829
Hey everyone,

I´m absolutly new, maybe a bit late to the club. Is there any way these days to rebuild the Alpha Dog Mod?
Does the Alpha Dog Pads fit the the stock T50RP?

There are so many informations on the first site. Hard to complain everything.

Thank you

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,730 of 2,829
I'm under the impression that the original alpha dogs had modified diaphragms. That is something that no one on this forum has attempted to my knowledge. Mostly due to ease of distroying the drivers. You can do the mayflower mod kit, or just get dampening materials and start experimenting. Alpha pads do fit the TxRP. I have used them. There are dekoni pads and tons of ebay stuff that will fit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back