Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #2,462 of 2,829
Yes, preferably permanently attach to the driver so there arent any gaps. Mine now holds tightly withouth any glue, for now.
The distance between your ear and the driver can change a sound a lot. But you also need to consider which pads are you gonna use as they can make the gap even bigger.
I´m using HM5 Hybrids, but they make the sound really sharp without some front damping. Also I use mk3 driver which reflects more highs.. I am considering different pads now.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #2,463 of 2,829
Yes, preferably permanently attach to the driver so there arent any gaps. Mine now holds tightly withouth any glue, for now.
The distance between your ear and the driver can change a sound a lot. But you also need to consider which pads are you gonna use as they can make the gap even bigger.
I´m using HM5 Hybrids, but they make the sound really sharp without some front damping. Also I use mk3 driver which reflects more highs.. I am considering different pads now.
Well am going to use the brainwavz round XL sheepskin pads since my design is round and is massive (the total height is 110mm). What am basically aiming for is to destroy the Argons and t60s not beat but destroy. If you want I can attach a picture

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #2,465 of 2,829
Sure you can attach the pictures of your mod, some may find it useful/interesting :)
W0Q2ChG.png

QhnYHgu.png

AOSEMwy.png

NjqxWt2.png

W0Q2ChG

QhnYHgu

AOSEMwy

Heres the back separated where you can identify bass ports
NjqxWt2

b0EACIj

b0EACIj.png

Keep in mind i kept some ports on the baffle for tuning
Please give me the link for the wave guide.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #2,466 of 2,829
https://sketchfab.com/zgliszcz/models
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ope...-from-mrspeakers.825868/page-33#post-14097717
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mrs...tatic-headphones.814156/page-15#post-12725712
https://www.mrspeakers.com/technology

MrSpeakers uses more advanced waveguides which are actually installed between the magnets, closer to the driver. This type of waveguides would imho have even greater effect than those on the outside of the driver, but noone was able to model these yet I think. There must be a lot of reflections between the metal plates with holes going on.
Disassembled driver can be seen here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ZWXtWdNv9UNGJ0dnFZT2owaVU/view

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,467 of 2,829
Anybody have any cable replacement recommendations for a Fostex T50?
I've purchased a few V-Moda cables...they used to work great.

I've had to replace a few because they seem to fail if they're removed from the 3.5 to 6.5 adapter plug a little to harshly. The last 2 I bought though just started working poorly Bad connection between the cable, and the adapter. Not sure if it's the cable, or the adapter. I'm thinking cable, because the issue persisted when I changed the adapter.
They used to be like $11 too. They're twenty something now.

Tried one from Mediabridge, and it didn't work at all.

Anybody have any thoughts, or experienced similar issues with the V-Moda cable?

Jul 17, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #2,468 of 2,829
Did something happen to post #1 when head-fi re-vamped the site? It seems like only the first 5 items from the table of contents are present. Everything else is missing. Where can I find this content? I am tuning some open alphas and I really want this info for reference.

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #2,469 of 2,829
Did something happen to post #1 when head-fi re-vamped the site? It seems like only the first 5 items from the table of contents are present. Everything else is missing. Where can I find this content? I am tuning some open alphas and I really want this info for reference.
I just checked. It’s all there for me.

~ BMF

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #2,471 of 2,829
ahh just saw that about Firefox.
Basically unusable for me.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2,472 of 2,829
^ This

The 'StratoPad' is a modified HM5 velour pad. I guess the pictures are quite self-explanatory. Driver damping and felt-disk leakage have to be brought into balance to achieve a flat response.

I know this is very old post, but I'm still really interested in stratopads. Mainly because I'm having trouble managing the treble in my OpenAlpha with mk3 drivers and HM5 hybrid pads on. I didn't want to spend $65 on just Alpha pads, so I went with Brainwavz... however they seem to reflect too much treble which in combination with mk3 back damping can result in painful treble if I don't use a lot of front damping :/

Stratopads are made from HM5 velours, right? I understand the part where you used some felt under the pad to leak some bass bloat, but how did you manage to tune the treble so smoothly? I've seen measurements of all HM5 velour, pleather and hybrid, they are not so different and nowhere close hd600 pad linearity..
The treble behaviour with stratopad on your measurements looks like a dream to me :xf_eek:

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #2,473 of 2,829
I know this is very old post, but I'm still really interested in stratopads. Mainly because I'm having trouble managing the treble in my OpenAlpha with mk3 drivers and HM5 hybrid pads on. I didn't want to spend $65 on just Alpha pads, so I went with Brainwavz... however they seem to reflect too much treble which in combination with mk3 back damping can result in painful treble if I don't use a lot of front damping :/

Stratopads are made from HM5 velours, right? I understand the part where you used some felt under the pad to leak some bass bloat, but how did you manage to tune the treble so smoothly? I've seen measurements of all HM5 velour, pleather and hybrid, they are not so different and nowhere close hd600 pad linearity..
The treble behaviour with stratopad on your measurements looks like a dream to me :xf_eek:
Well you could just try to EQ the treble down abit with Peace APO EQ. But try and identify which part of the treble it is because if you lower the wrong parts then you just might end up losing detail.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #2,474 of 2,829
Well you could just try to EQ the treble down abit with Peace APO EQ. But try and identify which part of the treble it is because if you lower the wrong parts then you just might end up losing detail.
Yea, no...
You can´t fix everything with EQ, there is much more to the sound that just amplitude of each frequency.
What would be the point of modding T50 if you could just EQ them and call it a day? :p

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #2,475 of 2,829
Yea, no...
You can´t fix everything with EQ, there is much more to the sound that just amplitude of each frequency.
What would be the point of modding T50 if you could just EQ them and call it a day? :p
Well mechanical and digital tuning are two different things because mechanically tuning actual help to tighten or helps the driver push out more detail, on the other hand digital tuning just adjusts the loudness of each frequency in this case it is EQ. Hope you understood what am getting to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back