FOSTEX PM0.5 SUB mk2 (discontinued) subwoofer connection and reviews?
Apr 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

vermilions

Head-Fier
I recently bought the Fostex Pm0.3 speakers. I want to get a subwoofer with it and I'm not sure if the now discontinued Fostex PM0.5 SUB MK2 will work with my PM0.3?

I will be using this 2 .1 setup with my Macbook Air.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/PM0.5_Sub_MkII.shtml

I would appreciate any reviews or experience with this subwoofer! Has it got a good reputation? I can't seem to find much on the net except this thread which I don't really understand.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/642066-fostex-pm0-5-sub-mkii.html

And I would appreciate how I would be connecting this sub with my PM0.3s. There's only connections like XLR and TRS on the sub. I would get a XLR to RCA from the sub to the speakers, but how do I get my macbook 3.5mm output to the input of the sub? I don't understand the "XLR & TRS COMBINATION INPUTS".

Thanks a mil!

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 3
anybody?

May 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 3
You need an female XLR --> male RCA adapter cable, or a female XLR --> female RCA adapter, and then a standard (male on both ends) RCA cable to connect the L/R outputs of the sub to the L and R monitors. The sub output is already filtered (removing the bass) to make the monitors job easier. Then you just set the gain on the subwoofer such that it matches up with the monitors. 

So the signal chain is 

source --> subwoofer --> L and R monitors

You want to feed the subwoofer with as loud a signal as you can, since you're running single-ended (RCA outputs from the Mac) into an XLR input which is balanced - what this means is you're running 1/2 the signal it's expecting, so you'll need to turn it up a lot. 

A much better solution is an external interface box that has XLR or balanced 1/4" (called TRS) outputs - that's the proper gain that balanced (XLR, TRS) connections use. 

hope this helps...
-tal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back