Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Sep 2, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #1,472 of 2,017
I covered all 8 of the vents in the ear cup with electrical tape, then I covered the back vent with another piece with an approx. 3mm notch in it. Deep bass is there in gobs, maybe too much. I may start peeling a couple pieces of tape off the ear cup slots to see the effect.

Yep, the sweet spot lies between 4 and 8 vents taped IMO depending on the listener.

I think I understand that covering the back vent reduces that mid bass hump (Ala the t40 graph from innerfidelity) and the ear cup prevents leakage and provides deeper bass. What would internal damping net me? Would that improve mid clarity? I'm thinking of doing newplast on the back of the baffle and some Silverstone foam on the inside back. Are there any potential downsides in doing those mods? Sorry full of questions and thanks in advance for any help!!

Absorbing materials at the bottom of the cups (being careful that they do not interfere with the back of the driver directly) will net a slight clarity increase in the midrange/treble. Downsides?, perhaps reducing the volume too much will mess with your baffle/outer cup venting scheme and you will have to redo this part.
Driver damping directly (with felt, micropore, fiberglass, cotton, latex foam pads, etc) will lower the bass dramatically and increase the energy past 2 KHz. The stock T50RP mk3 tuning is agreeable enough that only slight modding on the inside can be beneficial. I'd try aplying a bit of cotton or make up wedge foam only to the 'bottom' of the cup recesses to see if you discern any improvements. If you ever want more upper midrange presence, you can try placing a piece of tape over the driver 'hole' with a smaller hole in it.

Happy modding.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,473 of 2,017
I purchased a pair of t50rp mk3s but the stock pads are too small for my admittedly-largish ears and I find the treble a bit too forward/hot.

There's been numerous discussions concerning t50rp mk3 "pad rolling" in this thread and others - but is there a general recommendation for a set of replacement pads that offer better comfort while taming the treble a bit?  

Apart from the treble, I find the frequency response of these to be just about perfect and would prefer not to change anything else.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,474 of 2,017
I use the Shure 1540 pads, and love the comfort and sound. Available on Amazon.

https://amzn.com/B00HXAV0UY

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,475 of 2,017
  I purchased a pair of t50rp mk3s but the stock pads are too small for my admittedly-largish ears and I find the treble a bit too forward/hot.

There's been numerous discussions concerning t50rp mk3 "pad rolling" in this thread and others - but is there a general recommendation for a set of replacement pads that offer better comfort while taming the treble a bit?  

Apart from the treble, I find the frequency response of these to be just about perfect and would prefer not to change anything else.

It's interesting how one's experience differs.

I've found treble just the right amount with the stock pads, and hot with BrainWavz.

I have now put Beyerdynamic T5p stock pads on T50 rp.

expectations are high :-D

// Update after 2 hours:

My ears still aren't sore! The comfort with T5p pads is somewhere in between of the stock and brainwavz.
However, the sound quality is much much closer to the original - T5p pads are also shallow - but they have wider opening and much softer leather. Which means it produces similar sound with much higher comfort.

This seems like a final pads solution for me.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #1,479 of 2,017
I have cut the filling of the BrainWavz velour pads and put them on Fostex.

FInally - the comfort is superb, sound is almost back to the stock - deep rumbling bass, treble not sharp, mids velvety.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #1,480 of 2,017
  I have both and I totally agree with this. The Sines are quite a bit more (I paid $320 USD on sale though) but I think the T50RP Mk3 sounds better and is more comfortable, especially with the Brainwavz sheepskin pads for me personally . I use the Sine as a portable headphone and at work and use the T50RP at home. Great combination for me. 

Have you done any other mods besides the sheepskin pads? And does it change the sound?

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #1,481 of 2,017
  Have you done any other mods besides the sheepskin pads? And does it change the sound?

Painted it, and used this moldable foam thing called "Floam" that I found at the store on the back of the cups under the driver. Not very scientific or anything.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,482 of 2,017
Bit of a shot in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried driving these with the Audioengine D1. I've been thinking of picking up a pair of these, but Zeos' stressing the need of a strong amp has kind of scared me off, and I'm not looking to upgrade my DAC/Amp quite yet.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,483 of 2,017
Bit of a shot in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried driving these with the Audioengine D1. I've been thinking of picking up a pair of these, but Zeos' stressing the need of a strong amp has kind of scared me off, and I'm not looking to upgrade my DAC/Amp quite yet.
what is your current dac/amp? I bet it would work. I use a Micca Origen+ with my RPs at work, and they power then just fine.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,485 of 2,017

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm currently using the D1.

I had to look it up then do some fuzzy math, but at the rated 50ohms of the RPs you would be pushing about 80mw from the D1 to the headphones.  That's about twice what you'll get from the average cell phone. It's not ideal, but I think it will work. 

If it's in the budget, I'd suggest http://schiit.com/products/magni-2.  $99 gets you 1W output.  $149 gets you 1.2W output and RCA outs if you need to connect external powered speakers.   Use the D1 as the DAC, connect the Magni to it via RCA, and then you're set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back