Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Mar 3, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #666 of 2,017
Just put on a pair of lawton pads on my t50rp mk3 and i like the sound a lot better than stock pads. Had a pair of shure 1540 alcantara pads on for a brief moment and they did not do anything good, bass got bloated and distorted with them :frowning2:

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #667 of 2,017
Just put on a pair of lawton pads on my t50rp mk3 and i like the sound a lot better than stock pads. Had a pair of shure 1540 alcantara pads on for a brief moment and they did not do anything good, bass got bloated and distorted with them :frowning2:
that's nice;i just got the t20rp mk3, installed a pair of cheap Cosmos velour pads from Amazon, much more comfortable, the bass is now more controlled although that may also be a result of burn-in. I think they sound the flattest of all in my small collection.

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #668 of 2,017
I have had the chance to try a few more pads before I go deeper into modding the mk3.

I found that the deeper the pads are the more impact it has on the midrange making it more shallow sounding and distant.
with pads that takes your ears closer to the driver like the ogininal ones the more midrange you get.

I was so fortunate that BMF from the mk2 thread had an extra measure rig that he shipped for me here in Denmark so now I can begin to measure the different effects

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #670 of 2,017
I pulled the trigger on the T20RP. I heard they have alot of bass and judging by the frequency response, these have a very similar response to the Fidelio X2's so i don't think the bass will be overwhelming. Plus i think it's just as easy to mod them to T40RP sound by just closing the lid with duct tape and use something like toilet paper to get them to sound like the T50RP. I owned alot of "bright" headphones so i am looking forward to a non-sibilant bass heavy headphone. These are also planar and i will be using them with angled Brainwavz Pleather Pads. :)

Will write impressions after Burn-In and some testing. 
L3000.gif

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #672 of 2,017
Sorry, can't compare them as i don't own both. For fostex i can say, it is very good for listening live recordings, especially acoustic and real instruments as they provide natural truthful sound(that analog feeling), like when you listening some real band. They don't excell with parameters like , soundstage, imaging(although they are fine) and can be picky for bad recordings and low quality files. Especially with some over processed and compressed songs, which they are many these days. This doesn't mean some quality EDM don't sound excellent and they are perfectly fine with most, but they are more apropriate for listening songs made with real instruments and recorded with natural soundstage, where really excell. Well that's of course just my opinion.

Maybe you can get some feedback here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/789131/yamaha-hph-mt220-or-fostex-t50rp-mk3-with-fiio-e07k

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #673 of 2,017
Listening to them with Brainwavz HM5 pleather pads right now. So far i really like their sound. They are crazy fast and i have no idea how some people think the bass is too much on the T20RP's. For me the bass is just right. It doesn't overpower the mids and i mean it's planar bass so it's really good. The main problem is some buzz on the right driver with some bass frequencies so i have to order a second pair. I guess that is alright considering their price. Insane, just insane. Looking forward to burning them in. 
L3000.gif

EDIT: Someone asked for a comparison to the MT220's. Its a bit early but the mids are more forward or less recessed on the T20RP's. The bass is way less bloomy and tight. As said, it's planar bass. :p The highs are sparkly with the HM5 pads but on stock they are tamed. The highs on the MT220's were a bit too much for my liking but YMMV. All in all i certainly prefer them over the MT220's. 

Look at these two frequency responses:

T20RP
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT20RPMk3.pdf

Fidelio X2
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf

Don't these two look pretty similar or am i crazy? From memory the bass on the T20RP has the same quantity as on the X2's but doesn't extend that deep.

EDIT2: Is there a known mod yet to fix the bass roll off? I am not even sure but i think the HM5 pads already bring out the sub bass a bit more.

EDIT3: After about 4 hours listening i have to say i am in love. Maybe i'm a bit of a basshead but the bass from these is just addicting. The highs can become a bit sibilant but i heard its "worse" on the T50RP and T40RP so the T20RP is the perfect match for me. After listening to alot of Twenty One Pilots the speed of these becomes obvious. I think i can't go back to dynamic drivers now because planar magnetic is just sorcery. 

EDIT4: Glamour shot!

EDIT5:
A better view of the two FR from the T20RP and Fidelio X2

Left T20RP, Right Fidelio X2

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #675 of 2,017
Carefully stretch the lips first little by little, someone said a dab of mineral oil helps. Try not to pull from the very edge where the elastic is, pinch a little closer to the donut when pulling the pad in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back