Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Feb 15, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #631 of 2,017
Thanks a lot! that explanation should appear in the fostex site. then, i ask, the 20rp has a more "open back" sound than the 50rp?

I have not listened to the mk3 revisions, I'm going from the existing measurements and my own observations modding the mk2 variants. In my experience, the 'closed-in' sound has more to do with the use of pleather pads than cup reflections; my own modded T50RP mk2 have a very 'open' sound because I'm using the HM5 velour pads with a leaky baffle seal, they sound even more 'open' than the K7XX I have and all the other closed pairs I own. In my experiments, I've gone from completely closed cups to both cup vents open (top vent has a plastic piece glued on, I had to cut it off) and the differences were much less dramatic than the pad switch. I've found that pads impart 80% of the sound signature, if you do a pad switch, you'll have to retune the damping to your tastes, and this is best done with the aid of a measurement rig. Thankfully the Fostex driver is fairly easy to tune.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #632 of 2,017
I have not listened to the mk3 revisions, I'm going from the existing measurements and my own observations modding the mk2 variants. In my experience, the 'closed-in' sound has more to do with the use of pleather pads than cup reflections; my own modded T50RP mk2 have a very 'open' sound because I'm using the HM5 velour pads with a leaky baffle seal, they sound even more 'open' than the K7XX I have and all the other closed pairs I own. In my experiments, I've gone from completely closed cups to both cup vents open (top vent has a plastic piece glued on, I had to cut it off) and the differences were much less dramatic than the pad switch. I've found that pads impart 80% of the sound signature, if you do a pad switch, you'll have to retune the damping to your tastes, and this is best done with the aid of a measurement rig. Thankfully the Fostex driver is fairly easy to tune.
Thanks a lot!

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #633 of 2,017
If you're interested in modding your headphones, a rig built around a calibrated measurement microphone will save you a lot of time. I'm using the minidsp UMIK-1 with a solid plate rig similar to Purrin's C.U.N.T. (Sorry, can't link to it here), It's a very worthwhile ~$100 investment.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #634 of 2,017
Nice man, that's some good info. Are you using one of BMFs measuring kits?

I'm also using a UMIK in a similar rig to the C.U.N.T.

I thought I saw somewhere the T40RP mkIII pivot/hinge was closed.

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #635 of 2,017
Yup the T40 hinge is closed. Here's a link to Tyll's teardown of all 3 plus the mkII

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diyers-delight-fostex-t50rp-mk3#2GfgT5GwEhYV2zLY.97

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #636 of 2,017
I received my T50RP MK3 and they sound good!  I thought they would be over-ear, but they are actually on-ear.  Are all of the replacement pads on-ear as well?

I wish the vocals were a little louder in the mix and more intimate.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #638 of 2,017
Sadly, mine arrived today brand new from Amazon already broken. :flushed:
Can't say my first impression of this line is very good given the cheap build quality, though in fairness, I'm not sure it's so much the build quality as inadequate packaging -- there was only a rather thin bubble wrap surrounding the phones and I think it may have shifted around in the box?

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #639 of 2,017
  They are on ear yes, replacement pads are mainly over ear if you not have big ears. Sound out of the box is more laid back, if you can't stand laid back mids, welcome to modding scene :)

Would pads help with this?  Which pads are best with the T50RP MK3? Alpha, ZMF, SRH840, HM5?

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #640 of 2,017

Would pads help with this?  Which pads are best with the T50RP MK3? Alpha, ZMF, SRH840, HM5?

This is highly subjective and also depend on mod you do on cups itself. I have Hybrids, but don't like it despite some people recommended it for improved SQ and comfort(my whole ear go in with no problem). It seems to me like mids become even more laid back. I personally find stock one a lot better for SQ. But take into consideration i haven't done extensive modding work on them and no tuning, just listening with my subjective ears :). Can't comment on other pads, other than Alpha and ZMF obviously rocks for comfort.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #641 of 2,017
Sadly, my came brand new from Amazon already broken. :flushed:
Can't say my first impression of this line is very good given the shoddy build quality.

Well thats bad for sure. I can't evaluate if this is just cosmetic damage or not. Is headband still remain fixed without broken piece or not? If yes, i personally will not bother and just buy superglue or something similar and glue it. Of course if you like SQ and there are no other damage. Thnx for posting picture, so we now know this plastic part don't have enough elastic properties and can crack quite easily.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #642 of 2,017

Quote:
  Well thats bad for sure. I can't evaluate if this is just cosmetic damage or not. Is headband still remain fixed without broken piece or not? If yes, i personally will not bother and just buy superglue or something similar and glue it. Of course if you like SQ and there are no other damage. Thnx for posting picture, so we now know this plastic part don't have enough elastic properties and can crack quite easily.

It's not just cosmetic, for sure, since I can't adjust the sliding mechanism without manually holding the bars into their "seat", but once I get them adjusted and on my head, they can sit there okay and usage on my head while listening isn't affected. 

I'm not sure if I should glue the bars onto the "seat" and then glue the cover over (that part might be cosmetic only if the bars themselves are supposed to be glued to the cup, but I don't know.)

I am really enjoying the SQ so far - haven't listened to them enough to comment but I'm considering some glue and keeping them rather than returning them.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #643 of 2,017
I guess broken cover are only there to "lock" bars to their "seat", so they can't fall of the "seat". Of course, this thing can be fixed. Nothing wrong if you glue bars to "seat" as their only job is to hold the bars, so they can't be pulled of. But should be enough if you put glue just on place where is cracked and around on the sides. Also i think should be possible to drill tiny hole in to cracked place and fix all together with tiny screw. In the end if this is something that will bother you mentally, you should send it back for new one, if not go ahead and fix it. On the other hand if you have a plan to mod this phone more extensively, this cracked thing should not matter, as you will so or so made a lot of "harm" to them in that process or at least can hapen something like that :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #644 of 2,017
I guess broken cover are only there to "lock" bars to their "seat", so they can't fall of the "seat". Of course, this thing can be fixed. Nothing wrong if you glue bars to "seat" as their only job is to hold the bars, so they can't be pulled of. But should be enough if you put glue just on place where is cracked and around on the sides. Also i think should be possible to drill tiny hole in to cracked place and fix all together with tiny screw. In the end if this is something that will bother you mentally, you should send it back for new one, if not go ahead and fix it. On the other hand if you have a plan to mod this phone more extensively, this cracked thing should not matter, as you will so or so made a lot of "harm" to them in that process or at least can hapen something like that :)

I like how they sound too much to keep a gimpy pair that I have to repair myself so I've ordered another pair to be delivered tomorrow and I'll initiate the return on these as soon as I receive the new pair and verify they aren't broken as well and that I should just return both. (They don't do exchanges, unfortunately ... so I'll get my refund once they receive these back.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back