Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Feb 14, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #616 of 2,017
  Fostex T50RP MK3 for $139.46 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0167XM092/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

The T20RP is a better deal at $126.

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-T20RP-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B01686PE3C/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1455503454&sr=1-7&keywords=fostex+headphones

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #617 of 2,017
Feb 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #618 of 2,017

Better in what sense? In your estimation is SQ roughly similar? I've seen only a little on the T20RP, with the difference apparently that it has deeper bass, and perhaps less spacious?

Ah, my bad man. Im so used to everyone in these T_0RP threads just being modders and not people who leave the headphone stock. If you were going to modify the sound by tuning them internally, the T20RP would be the better deal because they use the same drivers and just have a more open cup design that can easily be changed to the same semi-open cup design the T50RP uses. If you were planning on leaving whatever headphone you ordered stock, the T50RP is likely to sound the best but I have no opinion on that yet as I haven't heard the MK3 T50RP.

But I did order the T20RP myself.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #619 of 2,017
Ah, my bad man. Im so used to everyone in these T_0RP threads just being modders and not people who leave the headphone stock. If you were going to modify the sound by tuning them internally, the T20RP would be the better deal because they use the same drivers and just have a more open cup design that can easily be changed to the same semi-open cup design the T50RP uses. If you were planning on leaving whatever headphone you ordered stock, the T50RP is likely to sound the best but I have no opinion on that yet as I haven't heard the MK3 T50RP.

hello! where did you order the 20rp and the price, please?

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #620 of 2,017

hello! where did you order the 20rp and the price, please?

Here:
http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-T20RP-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B01686PE3C/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1455503454&sr=1-7&keywords=fostex+headphones

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #622 of 2,017

Here:

thank you! but do you, or anyone, know where to buy the stock 20rp?amazon nor the fostex site offer it.

Dude, this is the stock T20RP. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #623 of 2,017
Another key difference between the T20rp MkIII and T50rp mkIII is that the pivot in the cup is covered in the 50 and not the 20. Covering the pivot slightly reduces the bass, but not as much as covering the ports in the cup.

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #624 of 2,017
Another key difference between the T20rp MkIII and T50rp mkIII is that the pivot in the cup is covered in the 50 and not the 20. Covering the pivot slightly reduces the bass, but not as much as covering the ports in the cup.

Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of that difference and wouldn't have been unless you mentioned it. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #625 of 2,017
I ended up sealing the vents completely, adding two unrolled cotton balls per cup, and leaving the pivots open. I tried the pivots open/closed and measured them confirming a few DB of difference.

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #626 of 2,017
I ended up sealing the vents completely, adding two unrolled cotton balls per cup, and leaving the pivots open. I tried the pivots open/closed and measured them confirming a few DB of difference.

Nice man, that's some good info. Are you using one of BMFs measuring kits?

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #628 of 2,017
None are 'already modded', it's a revision based on Fostex' own developments. The mk3 versions use a different baffle and driver damping than the mk2, resulting in a less dark sound with proper presence in the mids/lower treble.
The T20RP mk3 have vents in the cups that are fully open and the headband hinges are uncovered, resulting in a bassy signature. The T50RP mk3 have felt over the same cup vents and the hinges are covered, resulting in less of a bass hump / more balanced presentation. The T40RP mk3 have closed cups and open hinges, resulting in the least bassy, more linear FR of them all, but the sub-bass roll off is more apparent because of this. All of them can benefit from modding, especially in the sub-bass extension and comfort departments.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #629 of 2,017
None are 'already modded', it's a revision based on Fostex' own developments. The mk3 versions use a different baffle and driver damping than the mk2, resulting in a less dark sound with proper presence in the mids/lower treble.
The T20RP mk3 have vents in the cups that are fully open and the headband hinges are uncovered, resulting in a bassy signature. The T50RP mk3 have felt over the same cup vents and the hinges are covered, resulting in less of a bass hump / more balanced presentation. The T40RP mk3 have closed cups and open hinges, resulting in the least bassy, more linear FR of them all, but the sub-bass roll off is more apparent because of this. All of them can benefit from modding, especially in the sub-bass extension and comfort departments.
Thanks a lot! that explanation should appear in the fostex site. then, i ask, the 20rp has a more "open back" sound than the 50rp?

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #630 of 2,017

Thanks, Peterek -- so far, I've not done any modding; I am mostly considering them as my first taste of planar magnetic headphones.  It seems there are a lot more reviews on the T50RP MKIII than the T20/T40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back