Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Dec 29, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #571 of 2,017

Interesting.

I just ordered the hybrid non-angled based on measurements that someone posted on Reddit showing that the Hybrids improved the sound.

I have grown a bit skeptical about HM5 pads in general after trying them on my M50s and MSR7s. They are super comfortable, but I think their extreme depth degraded the sound a bit. 

I have been using them on my HE500, which stretches them out and makes them circular; this week i'm going to compare them to Alpha pads. The hybrids should arrive today; we'll see what happens.

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #572 of 2,017
May give those a go. Have you got a link to the post on Reddit please?

Quote:

Interesting.

I just ordered the hybrid non-angled based on measurements that someone posted on Reddit showing that the Hybrids improved the sound.

I have grown a bit skeptical about HM5 pads in general after trying them on my M50s and MSR7s. They are super comfortable, but I think their extreme depth degraded the sound a bit. 

I have been using them on my HE500, which stretches them out and makes them circular; this week i'm going to compare them to Alpha pads. The hybrids should arrive today; we'll see what happens.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #575 of 2,017
Thanks for the tips. I did get them on eventually.

I have to say that I'm initially disappointed with the sound. The life is sucked out of the music somewhat. I'm guessing mods are needed to get the best from the drivers with these pads. Can't wait to get them off and get the stock ones back on but I shall keep them on for a while seeing as they're such a pain to fit. Perhaps I need to get used to the change in sound. They're so comfy though.

Play something with good instrument separation and a reasonably wide soundstage and you'll appreciate the difference the velours make. I do agree though that the sound is still in need of modification to perfect it.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #576 of 2,017
So I've been using the Mk3's with the HM5 Hybrid pads for several hours now, running off my Bifrost/Lyr 2 (high gain).

Oddly enough they sounded very weird at first (compared to the HE500 and X2 i've been rotating).
I suppose my brain has adjusted, though, because they now sound great to my ears.

I'm going through all my test tracks, and everything sounds very good.
Maybe different than the others, but still good. I'm finding the low end very compelling on these guys. Comfort is great with these pads as well.
Man, I love putting lots of power into planars.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #577 of 2,017
Yes I've given them a few hours of testing now. The biggest issue for me is the bass depth and definition (I don't know or use technical terms!) that's now missing. Interestingly the reduction in bass was also shown in the test inertianinja linked to earlier. I've also heard some sibilance that wasn't there before as well. These are my test tracks at the moment. Alison Moyet's vocals sound more distant with the angled pads, probably due to the slight increase in soundstage perhaps. For the huge increase in comfort it is almost a worthwhile tradeoff for me.

I'll keep listening and swapping the pads over.

Quote:
Play something with good instrument separation and a reasonably wide soundstage and you'll appreciate the difference the velours make. I do agree though that the sound is still in need of modification to perfect it.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #579 of 2,017
Ordered on the 26th, shipped on the 30th, and finally being delivered on the 2nd. How is that appropriate in 2015? Not my fault Amazon built a warehouse near Indianapolis and I live in Chicago. They don't want to undermine Prime and I don't know how that is acceptable to anyone. 

I feel like refusing delivery just on principle. Remember those glorious days of the free 3-day trend? Thanks for killing that, Amazon.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #580 of 2,017
Ordered on the 26th, shipped on the 30th, and finally being delivered on the 2nd. How is that appropriate in 2015? Not my fault Amazon built a warehouse near Indianapolis and I live in Chicago. They don't want to undermine Prime and I don't know how that is acceptable to anyone. 

I feel like refusing delivery just on principle. Remember those glorious days of the free 3-day trend? Thanks for killing that, Amazon.

So it will take you a week to get your toys, which you ordered on Boxing Day (Google it if you don't know what it is) when most of Amazon staff are on a vacation for the only time during the entire year, and you are complaining that you will get your new toys in 5-7 days? The culture of absolute obnoxious convenience is strong in 'Murica.

You really are only entitled to this complaint as a paying Prime member, outside of the two weeks of winter Holidays.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #581 of 2,017
So it will take you a week to get your toys, which you ordered on Boxing Day (Google it if you don't know what it is) when most of Amazon staff are on a vacation for the only time during the entire year, and you are complaining that you will get your new toys in 5-7 days? The culture of absolute obnoxious convenience is strong in 'Murica.

You really are only entitled to this complaint as a paying Prime member, outside of the two weeks of winter Holidays.

On the surface it would appear that you went out of your way to defend an ecommerce giant with well known exploitative labor practices. While in reality, you just couldn't help but play the self-righteous Canadian card to perfection, while using a bank holiday that does not apply to my country as the basis for your argument. Great Job.

Not to mention your understanding of my argument is just phenomenally flawed. They debited my account on the 26th so they can ship what I paid for in a timely manner and not stagger shipments in favor of Prime members who want to pay twice for shipping.

Amazon has a clear interest in shipping slowly to non-Prime subscribers in order to make Prime more attractive to non-subscribers, and to not undermine its perceived benefit to subscribers. If you don't pay for Prime (because Standard shipping is also subject to this) they put you on the back burner, often taking 4 or 5 days just to fill your order, with a good chance your estimated delivery time will have changed for the worse not long after you place it. And then they go one step further by marking everything as preparing for shipment for days at a time to make canceling the order something you cannot actually do most times, even through customer service.

Offering free shipping is not a losing proposition. It is already factored into the selling price of any item no matter where you order from, that offers free shipping. Prime subscribers are simply paying twice. And given Amazon's huge fulfillment network, the benefit isn't much for the shipping component. They can put the thing on a brown truck and get it to your home in 24 hours in most cases. They buy in bulk and ship in bulk. They make a killing off prime and while they might operate at a near break-even pace, they do so because they return all that profit to their shareholders. Look at their stock price. 

It has nothing to due with order volume that they penalize people who don't pay them twice. Even if it was, that would still fly in the face of the accepted practice of shipping something when you are paid, whether an industry giant, a small business, or someone selling on ebay for their first or ten-thousandth time.

Admitting to staggered shipment speeds:

01:40 PM PST MeWhy has it taken 92 hours to ship?
01:41 PM PST Joebecause prime one day and 2 days have priority 
then Standard or free shipping 

Amazon gets a pass because people lack critical thinking skills these days. That's how you end up with Trump as a leading GOP candidate, Rob Ford as a Mayor, or paying twice for shipping. Not to mention the myth of Prime saving you money when Prime subscribers spend significantly more than non-subscribers. I doubt all of those people are truly buying needed things.

I happen to manage a warehouse that ships and receives, internationally. We have no issue shipping items that customers are charged for, same day before 3pm, or next day. We have their money so we ship what they purchased and then the shipping service they paid for results in how long it takes to get to them. They are not penalized because we are closer to them.

You can PM me if you have any worthwhile response. I doubt people want to read this off topic crap. My apologies for venting in the first place. Amazon's shipping BS drives me crazy and had they shipped the thing around the 80th hour after I had ordered it, I might have been able to bring my "toy" on my New Year's road trip, noting that the delivery estimate at the time of order was the 30th.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #582 of 2,017

You're probably right about why his package will be late, but instead of approaching it in this manner you could have just told him it was due to boxing day and that would have been the end of it. There's no need to pollute threads that are seen by hundreds of people on a daily basis with this negativity.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #583 of 2,017
Unfortunately, my mk3's cable/jack is starting to flake out, as many of you have experienced.  I am considering a couple of different mods to fix it:

1) Moving the jack to the bottom, which is very straightforward and can then use the same cables as all of my other headphones
2) Going to dual mono
3) Going hybrid (I actually like this idea a lot, will explain below)
4) dual mini XLR if the price for the jacks isn't too crazy, though I lack any XLR equipment

Hybrid is something I came up with that uses a TRRS plug instead of a TRS plug on the one side.  I would then wire the two grounds to the top two conductors in the plug.  If I use a standard headphone cable, it merges the grounds, and works as expected.  If I use a 4 conductor trrs cable, it could easily be converted to a dual mono (or balanced?) with some custom made adapters.  Isn't balanced the same as dual mono electrically, just sent with a differential signal instead of a return?

What do you think of this?  I happen to already have a TRRS jack already, which makes it easier. (It was hard to find, but I found a store about 40 minutes away that had one in stock.)  Is there a compelling reason to go one way or the other?

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #584 of 2,017
  Unfortunately, my mk3's cable/jack is starting to flake out, as many of you have experienced.  I am considering a couple of different mods to fix it:

1) Moving the jack to the bottom, which is very straightforward and can then use the same cables as all of my other headphones
2) Going to dual mono
3) Going hybrid (I actually like this idea a lot, will explain below)
4) dual mini XLR if the price for the jacks isn't too crazy, though I lack any XLR equipment

Hybrid is something I came up with that uses a TRRS plug instead of a TRS plug on the one side.  I would then wire the two grounds to the top two conductors in the plug.  If I use a standard headphone cable, it merges the grounds, and works as expected.  If I use a 4 conductor trrs cable, it could easily be converted to a dual mono (or balanced?) with some custom made adapters.  Isn't balanced the same as dual mono electrically, just sent with a differential signal instead of a return?

What do you think of this?  I happen to already have a TRRS jack already, which makes it easier. (It was hard to find, but I found a store about 40 minutes away that had one in stock.)  Is there a compelling reason to go one way or the other?

Thanks!

Hi:
I chose the "balanced" approach using mini XLR sockets.  With my CEntrance M8 I could not see a difference with single 1/4" jack cable.  The M8 is not dual-mono.

Based on the very tricky soldering I had to do, I imagine the TRRS plug and socket will be a challenge.

In hind sight, I would have used a single mini-XLR plug.  Two cables from your phones and a Y under your neck is just not that comfortable, especially when reclining.

See:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/10995#post_11321413

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #585 of 2,017
I am not worried too much about the actual soldering.  I've gotten almost good at it by now with all of the speaker refurbs and other various projects I have done (and I converted two different headphones to socketed that came with a wire). The bummer here is that I can't re-use any existing hole, but have to make my own like you did.  Hopefully I can keep it clean.  (I'm not in a super rush because it still works when I wiggle it, but I will get to it sooner or later.)  Dremel + drill FTW...

Thank you for your feedback on the cabling.  I may just go with the TRRS idea after all, since it's only one extra wire and it is a bit more 'future proof'.  Fun times.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back