1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by sopp, Apr 15, 2015.
First

Back
81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101
Next

Last
  1. VRacer-111

Take one of the stock earpads off the T40RP Mark III and bring it with you to compare against the others in store to find the best size match. I have no idea which one sounds the best, but my T40RP Mark III has the Shure velour 1840 pads and they are much better in comfort than stock. The phone does loose a little bass presence with the 1840 pads, otherwise pretty much same overall as with stock pads.

2. VingtorAsator

Check out the Mayflower V3 pads. I had one on my modded T40's and the comfort is waaayy better than the well-renowned Alpha Pads by MrSpeakers. They're really soft, your ears will have plenty of room, they won't heat up like the Alpha Pads does.

3. caenlenfromOCN

T40rp is closed vented, 1840 pads are made for open cans, you should have bought the 140 alcantara shure pads which are made for closed cans (also they are more comfy)  

I have the t20rp's mark 3's and the bass rumble on them is insanely good with the HM5 leather pads (non-angled version)  i love my t20's more than my t50s honestly, the bass rumble with the right earpads ont he t20s is just absolutely 10/10 imo

4. VRacer-111

The 1840 pads were originally for the T50RP Mark III's I had, transplanted them because I don't like the stock ones. I have had the 1540 Alcantara's on order for a long time... Not really too concerned with the bass on the T40's as they are more of my 'neutral' monitor can's. I have the TH-X00 Purplehearts coming in which will see to my bass needs.

5. caenlenfromOCN

The Shure 1540 alcantara pads have been in stock at bnhphotovideo website for ages, 39.99 free ship no tax.  and the th-x00 is out of my budget range, so t20rp deep rumble bass is all i can manage for now lol

6. MarcusHe
    caenlenfromOCN Yup, recently removed the felt covering the vents on my T50s(essentially making them T20s) and the bass is pretty awesome. Brought up the sub-bass quite a bit.

7. Primus2112

I did that too this week. Sounds bettah on bass. Wish I knew of how to improve the soundstage next. But either way happy with the sound.

8. MarcusHe
    Angled pads and opening up the cups helps, some also say that filling the cups with cotton gives a little more soundstage.

Primus2112 likes this.
  9. Primus2112
    cool thanks. I will try out.

10. rendyG
    Primus what pads do you have? When i changed to brainwavz hybrids, soundstage became bigger.
    Now I´m planning to somehow remove a bit of foam on the front to make them angled while not destroying pads :D
    Internal damping should also do some magic, but it also reduces bass..

I´m still wondering how the famous HD668b´s achieves that exaggerated soundstage. If you have ever seen them inside, they have 6 holes covered with something like transpore and behind these holes is not very dense foam and sound reflected from the back of the cup comes back to your ears this way. At least this is my theory, but this is completely different cup design, though :/

holes
    http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/24/2442e235_superlux688bdamper.jpg

and foam here
    http://static.pokazywarka.pl/bigImages/2522012/9577611.jpg?1387492081

Primus2112 likes this.
  11. FaezFarhan
    I have a K7XX and a TH-X00 coming soon. Which of the 3 should I buy to complete a variety of headphones I can rotate through. One that doesn't have the same profile that I already have.

12. Primus2112
    I am using the stock pads. Might see about getting some brainwavz or shure pads in the future. Maybe when I have time soon I might experiment with adding some fluffy cotton inside the cans and or foam. But yea hopefully it won't be at the expense of losing bass :)

13. ngoshawk
    Still waiting on my rebate for the T40RP mk 3's. That said, I just received my Schiit Magni2 with which I will run the Fostex.

My initial listening was disappointing...I have the gain switch up, and amp volume maxed. Granted I am only running my iPhone 6+ as the source. That said, the more I listen, the more I appreciate the little amp. And I think this will be quite sufficient. I don't need an amp that makes my eardrums bleed, only one to appreciate how good the T40's are. And indeed they are. Still happy with both purchases, I am.

Further testing needed of course, and a review of both amp and can when I can...:thumbsup:

Primus2112 likes this.
  14. SeEnCreaTive

At max? I run my PC at max volume, and my mangi 2u at 1/4 volume moooore then loud enough. *USB that is

15. ngoshawk

Yes. I did get a cheap Monster cable adapter (1/8" to rca) at Ace. That may have a bit to do with it, if the impedance is high. Can't find specs....

That said, if I do get the volume high enough on the 6+, it is quite loud. Further experimentation is needed. I will hook up my x3ii and compare.

First

Back
81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101
Next

Last