Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Apr 25, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #49 of 2,017
I don't necessarily think it's a bad driver
The amount of modding and aftermarket products shows what a little
Tuning can do for a crappy or poorly designed enclosure
It seems fostex's efforts to cash in on this market is falling short
At least they are not discouraging modification like some computer companies

Just don't jack the price up

I haven't heard the th500 does it compete with the mr. Speakers, hifiman and audeze offerings in the same price range?

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #51 of 2,017
The most overrated mid-fi headphones of all time? (even modded)

The t500rp, or the 50rp?

For the price there is next to nothing on the market that can match a t50rp.

T500rp on the other hand.... anything from hifiman, to mr-speakers, to audeze. One you get up into the $500-800 range, options are open. Never heard any of them, but I'd imagine theyre better heh

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #52 of 2,017
The t500rp, or the 50rp?

For the price there is next to nothing on the market that can match a t50rp.

T500rp on the other hand.... anything from hifiman, to mr-speakers, to audeze. One you get up into the $500-800 range, options are open. Never heard any of them, but I'd imagine theyre better heh

with the tr50p and a little patience you can make a pretty decent sounding can
under $200 bucks
you can't buy an ortho for that
thats not over rated in my book

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #53 of 2,017
with the tr50p and a little patience you can make a pretty decent sounding can
under $200 bucks
you can't buy an ortho for that
thats not over rated in my book

Hence why I'm so excited for the mk3s. If the T50RP mk3s are damped like he said, that saves modding (depending, of course Ill put my 840 pads on them)

And we'll have to see how the t20s and t40s are. Open and semi respectively. The T40 might be a better option for me, I like my ports. Or the T20RP for the true modder. Open, undamaped, and persumibly cheaper.

I think the big thing for me is going to be the wiring. My pair of t50s has been a nightmare. The right channel goes loud and quiet if the jack is unhappy at the time. I mean yeah, the new ones have sleeving, but sleeving doesn't mean anything but cable prtection

I plan on doing a rewire anyways, but it be nice to have good quality stock wiring

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #54 of 2,017
Nope. They are extremely mediocre. If you cannot afford a $1000 planar megnetic headphone then there are much cheaper dynamic headphones that sound just as good as them and are better than the FOTM T50RP.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #55 of 2,017
Hence why I'm so excited for the mk3s. If the T50RP mk3s are damped like he said, that saves modding (depending, of course Ill put my 840 pads on them)

The T50RPmk2 are also advertised as 'damped', I think they're just referring to the piece of foam over the cup vents.

Ergo said:
 Nope. They are extremely mediocre. If you cannot afford a $1000 planar megnetic headphone then there are much cheaper dynamic headphones that sound just as good as them and better than the FOTM T50RP.

Where's your argument?... In what aspects is the foster driver markedly inferior?, which dynamics in the price range (~$150) are more capable and in what aspects?

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #56 of 2,017

That's why we mod them for dirt cheap, hence the HUGE modding community. Becuase once fully modded, trust me, they will blow the doors of anything $400 or less.(heh sometimes anyways....) The difference between stock, and modded is unexpectedly massive

Orthros are fundimentally better then dynamic drivers. Less non-liner motion, lighter over all diaphragm weight. That's why the best headphones are always orthro (well...electro-static, thats VERY costly, they run on a similar idea anyways)

I've used many dynamic cans around the $250 mark. From shenns to Sures, to Bose, to momentums, to Beats (shudder), Sony, Grados, random terrible name brands on RadioShack special. I own 2 pairs of porta-pros. Legendary for their cost to performance ratio. My fully pre-modded t50rps cost $159 free shipping, and to my ears are in a whole different league...

I mean you could troll all day, and go no where, considering you're commenting on a thread for t50rps... I leave the Beats threads alone, I really don't like them, some people do, that's great. At least they have a high quality can.

but some people do prefer the sound of dynamics over the extremely revealing nature of orthos. And that's totally fine. Orthros can make your set up sound terrible. When I first plugged them into my Classic, I realized how aweful the op amp is on it, but on my Schiit Uber stack, it's actually a bit mind blowing how good terrible quality mp3 files can sound (also how bad when you compare them to lossless)

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #57 of 2,017
That's why we mod them for dirt cheap, hence the HUGE modding community. Becuase once fully modded, trust me, they will blow the doors of anything $400 or less. The difference between stock, and modded is unexpectedly massive

Orthros are fundimentally better then dynamic drivers. Less non-liner motion, lighter over all diaphragm weight. That's why the best headphones are always orthro (well...electro-static, thats VERY costly)

I've used many dynamic cans around the $250 mark. From shenns to Sures, to Bose, to momentums, to Beats (shudder), Sony, Grados, random terrible name brands on RadioShack special. I own 2 pairs of porta-pros. Legendary for their cost to performance ratio.

I mean you could troll all day, and go no where, considering you're commenting on a thread for t50rps...

but some people do prefer the sound of dynamics over the extremely revealing nature of orthos. And that's totally fine. Orthros can make your set up sound terrible. When I first plugged them into my Classic, I realized how aweful the op amp is on it, but on my Schiit Uber stack, it's actually a bit mind blowing how good terrible quality mp3 files can sound (also how bad when you compare them to lossless)

Why should I trust you when I can trust me? I have spent a lot of time modding them myself and they sound nowhere near as good as Sennheisers.

Planar magnetic headphones are theoretically better but not all planar magnetic headphones are better than dynamic driver headphones. The T50RP's have a pretty cheap and crappy driver with relatively high distortion.

Please do not call expressing an opinion trolling.

Dynamic headphones with lower distortion can be much more revealing than planar magnetics.

BTW ortho is a terrible term.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #58 of 2,017
Why should I trust you when I can trust me? I have spent a lot of time modding them myself and they sound nowhere near as good as Sennheisers.

Planar magnetic headphones are theoretically better but not all planar magnetic headphones are better than dynamic driver headphones. The T50RP's have a pretty cheap and crappy driver with relatively high distortion.

Please do not call expressing an opinion trolling.

Dynamic headphones with lower distortion can be much more revealing than planar magnetics.

BTW ortho is a terrible term.

Opinions are fine, and I apreatiate it, now that I know it wasnt a troll (you know the internet these days, especially posting in a orthro hype thread)

and to other people's ears headphones sound different, my experience with Shenns (any thing from 200 series, or even 518s to 598s) things were a bit muddy and shouty in the mid-highish area, regardless of source components. Obviously once you get into 600 or higher things are different. I love my porta-pros to pieces, but the slower speed nature if dynamics is noticing on them. My yh-100s also orthros, god awfully muddy. But still fast obviously, tight bass, smooth as valvet, and most importantly extremely immursive

Apologies, just hard not to think of trolls heh.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #59 of 2,017
That's why we mod them for dirt cheap, hence the HUGE modding community. Becuase once fully modded, trust me, they will blow the doors of anything $400 or less.(heh sometimes anyways....) The difference between stock, and modded is unexpectedly massive

Orthros are fundimentally better then dynamic drivers. Less non-liner motion, lighter over all diaphragm weight. That's why the best headphones are always orthro (well...electro-static, thats VERY costly, they run on a similar idea anyways)

the pm3 is a $400 planar that measures extremely well. it wld outperform a diy t50rp mod.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #60 of 2,017
the pm3 is a $400 planar that measures extremely well. it wld outperform a diy t50rp mod.

Yes, so will many other $400 cans. Hence my (sometimes)

"Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It is used in to create emphasis on a situation. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally"

EDIT: Sorry everyone, didn't mean to reduce myself to a degenerate fan boy. Should probably get back on topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back