1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by sopp, Apr 15, 2015.
First

Back
118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127
129 130 131 132
Next

Last
  1. kukkurovaca
    I believe the drivers are the same (hence the same specs), but I don't think they're otherwise identical.

2. musicfan145
    I'm curious about this "beast mode" that everyone's raving about. If I am using T50RP drivers in a dual entry configuration (mono jacks in each cup), can I just use a balanced cable (separate ground conductor for each side) and connect directly to the speaker outputs of a stereo amp? If the ground conductors in the cable and headphones are completely separate, does the amp need any other special characteristics? I have an old T-amp that is rated about 10W (at 4 Ohms) and can be run on battery power. Could this be a put into service as a portable headphone amp with balanced output? Anything I need to know before plugging it up (to avoid frying my T50RP drivers)?

https://www.parts-express.com/sonic-impact-5065-gen-2-t-amp-with-power-supply--300-958

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  3. IBJamon
    That may not have enough power. The Lepai I have is a bit noisy for headphones.

But otherwise yes, you can do that.

4. musicfan145
    Thanks, @IBJamon; it worked! It was a tiny bit noisy plugged up to AC power, but it seemed to have enough power (volume at 12 o'clock was plenty loud). The sound wasn't stellar, but I wouldn't expect it to be from a $40 plastic amp (especially fed from an ancient iPod with compressed tracks). I'm curious to try it on battery power fed by my Dragonfly Red, but first I have to find something else to take it's place powering my son's bedroom speakers!

5. kintsaki
    Of All The Headphones I Ever Owned in the last Fifty Years,
    the stock Fostex TX0 RP MK III (/w ZMF pads) has the highest TSF.

If I had to have only one set of Headphones, this would be it.
    Despite its very low price It has an uncanny ability to let the
    soul of the music pass trough in all its glory while keeping
    all annoying artifacts out.

Hence its very high Thrill and Shivering Factor (TSF).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    trellus and mbwilson111 like this.
  6. stellarelephant
    Oooh...just spotted these. Due in May. Dekoni Audio Blue.
    "the addition of the Dekoni Hybrid Ear Pads and other proprietary changes makes this headphone a better version of the original by being less fatiguing and smoother all around with an extended bass response."
    The color is not my fav but the sound could very well have a high TSF :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    George Taylor and trellus like this.
  7. trellus
    I think the Dekoni Audio Blue look ridiculous, but I'd overlook that if they sound delicious. :ksc75smile:

8. kintsaki
    Is this another newcomer in the Fostex modding market now that ZMF and Mr. Speakers and LFF are out?

Well the first and only only original was Smeggy (except he took orders he never finished). But Hiroaki's MK III
    baffle and design was inspired by the "thunder pants". whose MK II drivers were more efficient went deeper
    into bass and higher on treble.

Given "Thunderpant's " wooden baffle and cups one can build a clone and add a "One Only Tool" "dam-user-friendly"
    headphone offering endless molding capabilities through the use of perforated wooden rings of various thickness along
    with plugs for the wholes to be placed between the baffle and the caps to vary the volume and venting of the enclosure.
    The wooden cups could be like the old fashioned wooden mini blinds allowing the user to go from fully open to fully closed
    configurations as well as allowing the user to stuff the cups with various types and amounts of absorbing materials.
    That would certainly be a an audiophile's delight. I was expecting some innovative engineering new comers but I am
    disappointed. I am fed up with the same old so called "artisans" "fine tuners" that limit themselves to plush leather
    cushions and exotic wood caps that sound inferior to the stock MK III.

I am working on such a mod just for myself with a wood craftsman for trying to find out if the MK III can be improved.

I seriously doubt that fine engineers like Hiroaki from Fostex have not thought or tried things like that but then again
    they are just that fine engineers and not fine marketeers.

If I was to buy another modded MK III it would be the Mayflower by an honest guy trying to help and educate people
    instead of ripping them off.

Over and out...... "A Hall of Fame without the MK III is a Hall of Shame" ....

trellus likes this.
  9. stellarelephant
    I too appreciate the open source nature of the Mayflower mod. I am looking forward to eventual reviews of the Modhouse Argon Mk3 and the Dekoni Blue. Maybe we will get some new modding ideas from seeing what they have done. Those hybrid Dekoni cushions look kind of perfect...comfier than stock but not so thick that they'll wash out the mids...but AFAIK they do not sell them separately (yet). Also, you are aware of the new T60RP right?

kintsaki likes this.
  10. kintsaki
    No I was not aware of t60 thanks for pointing it out., Wood, balanced wire, and 15 to 35 response compared to 90 to 20 may be good although efficiency remains low, that's OK I don't like >97 db/mW.

Going from 92db to 102db means 0.1W into 50 Ohms, and then to 112 db means 1W and to 122db 10W, so with 2,5 W we get 114 db - not live concert levels - but not lifeless either...,

2.5 W into 50 ohms means 5 into 25, 10 into 12, 20 into 6 and 40 into 3 Ohms. Now to get a damping factor > 200 you will need to drive them with a 100W into 8 Ohms and 200 into 2 Ohms, Meaning start looking for a new Crown (comes balanced also at 400$).

The ifi Micro DSD in turbo mode will only give 1.3W into 50 Ohms (no mention at what damping factor???), but it will do a relatively good job at 80db which is a relatively loud home speaker listening level.

Sound stage focus will be excellent but size only fair, however with the Crown the soundstage will blow away the Senn* 800S and will remotely remind of monitor mini speakers. The detail especially the layers of the bodied sound whether it is tympani or french horn will be unbelievable. No of course you will not listen to each of the dozen violins but the layers will let you know that they are never in perfect sync which is what makes them sound fabulous. Horns will be even more discernible but also never separated.

The Fostex Distributor is a mile from my house and lets me carry in all my stuff and headphones and spend as many days as I like . So I will visit and test. A bit pricey compared to Mayflower III that can be tuned for bass heads as well as normal.I can come up with wood cups much cheaper and way more innovative . Any way I love Fostex so I may get them for my wife.

trellus likes this.
  11. golfinggino
    I picked up a used pair of the t50rp mark 3 for about $60 USD don't even think they were used, great sounding headphone for the price. I bought so i could leave them at work and not have to bring my more expensive headphones to work everyday. I was surprised my lg v30 ( in high impediance mode ) with a cheap fiio e17k amp drives these headphones very good certainly much loader then I can listen to them at.

mbwilson111 likes this.
  12. skingg
    I believe the v30 is certainly capable to drive the Fostex on its own without the need for the e17k.

13. GearMe
    Yep...

14. mbwilson111
    I think it is good that you have the e17. I just tried my t50rp with my husband's lg v30, pushed the volume nearly all the way up and found it did not sound good enough. Kind of loud enough but not sounding like what I am used to. Right now I am using it straight out of my Cayin N3 DAP and it actually sounds really good. Surprised. High gain volume 67/100.

kukkurovaca and skingg like this.
  15. rendyG
    It depends mostly what are you listening to, modern music is usually mastered loudly, but most classic pieces are mastered in low volume sometimes and there is no way someone could power mk3´s from a phone with these songs...
    Also planar likes power afaik, I can hear the difference especially in bass control (comparing hifimediy unamped vs amped).

mbwilson111 likes this.
First

Back
118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127
129 130 131 132
Next

Last