Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Dec 17, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #1,636 of 2,017
You were right about the pads being a drawback, they made the headphones become uncomfortably bright-sounding. So I went back to the stock pads and it sounds much better now. I guess I'll use the hybrid pads on my ATH-M50X instead and see how that goes.

Modifying the headband did wonders for comfort. I picked up the Mr. Speakers headband and it made a world of difference.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,638 of 2,017
Dec 20, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #1,639 of 2,017
http://www.modhouseaudio.com/fostex-deerskin-suspension-strap/

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-comfort-headband/

Dec 31, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #1,641 of 2,017
Just got my T50RP MK3 in.  $108 new.  I still need to pick up some Shure 1840 pads, but so far I'm very happy with the sound.

Highs and mids are crisp and clear.  Bass is there, but isn't very prevalent.

Using the stock orange cable which seems to like to keep its shape and is very sproingy and meh.  Maybe a vmoda cable is in the purchase pipeline too.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #1,642 of 2,017
  Just got my T50RP MK3 in.  $108 new.  I still need to pick up some Shure 1840 pads, but so far I'm very happy with the sound.

Highs and mids are crisp and clear.  Bass is there, but isn't very prevalent.

Using the stock orange cable which seems to like to keep its shape and is very sproingy and meh.  Maybe a vmoda cable is in the purchase pipeline too.

Welcome to the t50rp world :) 
Vmoda is good. I wouldn't change the pads if you like the sound. Headband is the the weak point so it might good to add something there. For the bass you can tune it with the inner and outer bass vents.

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #1,643 of 2,017
So I had some pleather regular HM5s laying around.  I put them on my T50RP just for kicks.  It was a bit of a stretch, but nothing too bad since I stretched these particular pads over my huge K553s once.

Seems like treble is boosted and bass is lessened.  Music sounds a bit "thinner".  Did a quick search through the thread but didn't see much regarding the pleather non-angled HM5.  Is it like this for everyone?

Is there a universally preferred pad?  I was planning to get the 1840 since the shure 1540 was a bit pricy.  I see the shure 840 is recommended a good amount, but they don't look like much of an upgrade for comfort.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #1,644 of 2,017
So I had some pleather regular HM5s laying around.  I put them on my T50RP just for kicks.  It was a bit of a stretch, but nothing too bad since I stretched these particular pads over my huge K553s once.

Seems like treble is boosted and bass is lessened.  Music sounds a bit "thinner".  Did a quick search through the thread but didn't see much regarding the pleather non-angled HM5.  Is it like this for everyone?

Is there a universally preferred pad?  I was planning to get the 1840 since the shure 1540 was a bit pricy.  I see the shure 840 is recommended a good amount, but they don't look like much of an upgrade for comfort.

I have the 840 pads installed and it's definitely an improvement in comfort. Maybe more so because I wear glasses. The opening is much wider and the depth of the pads is deeper than the stock pads.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #1,645 of 2,017
Yep. There are other comfort bands as well.

Yep the Mr Speakers works great and doesn't cost a fortune. Or make your own like I did. Go to Amazon search for "bag of leather scraps" , do a rudimentary trace on one of the scraps, cut to size and screw in using the attachment screws. Works fine and is actually more comfortable than the speakers option. What is good is that you'll have a zillion scraps to make more for other HP's if needed.  Will cost about 20 bucks outlay but you'll find a lot of use for other things. 

link to leather scraps - 

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #1,646 of 2,017
Got my Shure 840 pads in today.  A lot more comfortable than the stock pads.  Foam is a little bit stiff for what I'm used to, but can't complain for the price.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,647 of 2,017
So I made a discovery when trouble shooting some vibration in the left and right cup when running heavy bass tests at high volume levels.  A note before the solution that these were not audible during normal listening however my OCD took over and I had to fix them.  

I tried many solutions mostly having to do with the screws on the driver as mentioned previously in the thread to no avail.  While reassembling the cup I notice my the wire attached to the driver can bend and actually rest against the driver once screw in.  Mine came from the factory like this.  I added a small amount of foam in between the bend in the wire where it touches and the driver. Problem solved on the left side.  I then opened up the cup on the right and with a small screw driver made sure the wire was running around the driver and have no spot to touch.  Again,  problem solved.  

This may save some a few hours of frustration like I experienced.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,648 of 2,017
Does anyone know of a t50rp mod or custom built t50rp that will keep the detailed highs but also bring the highs down just a bit so as to not pierce my ears while also improving the lower registers below 80hz? There are so many mods out there it's hard to know what to go with. I like a big soundstage,detailed and airy highs with a good amount of punch down low.
I've attempted to mod them myself but have not succeeded very well lmao. I do the know enough about the inner workings of modifying headphones

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #1,649 of 2,017
Does anyone know of a t50rp mod or custom built t50rp that will keep the detailed highs but also bring the highs down just a bit so as to not pierce my ears while also improving the lower registers below 80hz? There are so many mods out there it's hard to know what to go with. I like a big soundstage,detailed and airy highs with a good amount of punch down low.
I've attempted to mod them myself but have not succeeded very well lmao. I do the know enough about the inner workings of modifying headphones

I hate to say it, but that's the persuit of a perfect headphones. Huge soundstage, flat from 1hrt to 100k hrz. Fast and detailed.

So most mods they are done here, are to achieve that. In terms of below 80 hrz, from best I can tell the only way to get that is with a good set of pads. Still learning my self. Just finished the test prints on my open alphas, so I'll be learning rather quick rather soon.

You can free up the damping to gain bass, but then you start to bloat the mids and things.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #1,650 of 2,017
to legion1capone 
I find it relatively easy to tune the bass in these headphones, but treble was always a problem for me.
Until recently when I learned about "MrSpeakers doggie treats" (I believe BMF came up with them), those things can bring down that 9khz peak (and improve air) which was annoying me since I bought mk3´s :D
I´m using default configuration where you put two dots of damping foam in the bottom and back corner grid on the ear side of the driver.
You can find it here in alpha dog threads or even MrSpeakers have one amazing pdf with about 30 dot configurations with measurements!
And if your goal is just to tame the treble down a few dB, just try putting some felt on the ear side, different materials and thickness, different results.. :)

I´m planning to post here my config after I pass my exams (still experimenting with "nick n's MemFoam Mod" variation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back