Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Nov 13, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,561 of 2,017
  Guys, thanks for the extremely quick reply!

Is signal loss a common problem? I am usually a IEM guy, so I cant really judge the quality of a full-size cable, but what im experiencing is literally loss of signal on one side while moving my head ! 

Thats more than a cumbersome or bad to the touch defect :frowning2:

EDIT: Is the v-moda cable entirely compatible or I need to mod something? There is a lock mechanism on my T50rp

Mine (the original cable) does not have the problem. It's just too stiff, thick, and grabby, to be comfortable.

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,563 of 2,017
I haven't had problems with the stock cable on my T50's...yet! But I do have a V-Moda cable laying around if I ever do.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,564 of 2,017
I had the same problem. Try using the other end of the cable, that actually fix the issue. It's probably the quarky cable.

Kinda fixed for me. Still a bit scary how the contact seems to be fragile like that. Will def invest in some OEM cables (maybe Vmoda)

Also my Fiio E10k is maxed out. But since the T50rp is cheap (i was looking at NAD HP50 or Meze 99 for double the price), I might treat myself and buy a used Mojo on ebay...

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #1,565 of 2,017
RE poor connector....

Kinda fixed for me. Still a bit scary how the contact seems to be fragile like that. Will def invest in some OEM cables (maybe Vmoda)

Also my Fiio E10k is maxed out. But since the T50rp is cheap (i was looking at NAD HP50 or Meze 99 for double the price), I might treat myself and buy a used Mojo on ebay...

My T50RP had a weak socket. I installed a mini-XLR socket and built myself a custom cable.

However, since I purchased the OPPO PM-3, I don't use the Fostex much. Sold the NAD HP50. The Oppos are superior in comfort, and sound quality.

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #1,566 of 2,017
Are the new stock ear-pads that bad ?
Is upgrading them necessary ?

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #1,567 of 2,017
Material actually isn't that bad. Problem are, how they are shaped and how they fit on different types of ears. Some don't have big problems with them, many have. Most of the time they are on ear pads, not over ear, except if you have really small ears. Thin foam will also cause, part of your ear will most probably touching inner fabric. But for first couple of minutes with cold pads, felling isn't bad, untl they become warm.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,569 of 2,017
Are the new stock ear-pads that bad ?
Is upgrading them necessary ?

Depends on the shape of your ears and their sensitivity. Mine are medium sized but slightly protruding so using the T50 with the stock pads was fine for a while but could get discomforting after a couple of hours.

I wouldn't say changing the pads is obligatory, specially because of how lively and bright the headphones feel with them, but if you don't enjoy bright highs and/or plan on having them on your head for many hours at a time then perhaps you should look into getting some other earpads. I recommend Brainwavz's for a comfortable fit.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #1,570 of 2,017
Depends on the shape of your ears and their sensitivity. Mine are medium sized but slightly protruding so using the T50 with the stock pads was fine for a while but could get discomforting after a couple of hours.

I wouldn't say changing the pads is obligatory, specially because of how lively and bright the headphones feel with them, but if you don't enjoy bright highs and/or plan on having them on your head for many hours at a time then perhaps you should look into getting some other earpads. I recommend Brainwavz's for a comfortable fit.

Before when I tried using the memory foam HM5s, they seemed to suck out the mids and make everything sound distant on Mk2s.
The original HM5s were great, but it looks like Brainwavz discontinued the shallower HM5 pads.
The Shure Alcantara seem to be out of stock or quite steeply priced.

So far I have recommended Cayin C5 and T50 Mk3s to my friend, but not sure what pads are cheap/decent beyond the stock ones that won't suck out the mids and make everything sound distant.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #1,571 of 2,017

Before when I tried using the memory foam HM5s, they seemed to suck out the mids and make everything sound distant on Mk2s.
The original HM5s were great, but it looks like Brainwavz discontinued the shallower HM5 pads.
The Shure Alcantara seem to be out of stock or quite steeply priced.

So far I have recommended Cayin C5 and T50 Mk3s to my friend, but not sure what pads are cheap/decent beyond the stock ones that won't suck out the mids and make everything sound distant.

These are the earpads I bought, the Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Earpads (in case the link is moderated for some reason): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479500677&sr=8-5&keywords=brainwavz+earpads

The only difference that I noticed with them compared to the default earpads is that some of the brightness of the highs is toned down a little. As a result, the sound is a bit more comforting/less fatiguing but you do lose a bit of that "fun" that the default earpads had thanks to their very bright highs but for me that's a worthy trade-off considering that I use them for many hours on end. I didn't notice a perceptible difference on the mids to be honest.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #1,572 of 2,017

These are the earpads I bought, the Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Earpads (in case the link is moderated for some reason): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479500677&sr=8-5&keywords=brainwavz+earpads

The only difference that I noticed with them compared to the default earpads is that some of the brightness of the highs is toned down a little. As a result, the sound is a bit more comforting/less fatiguing but you do lose a bit of that "fun" that the default earpads had thanks to their very bright highs but for me that's a worthy trade-off considering that I use them for many hours on end. I didn't notice a perceptible difference on the mids to be honest.

Yep, tried those before -sucked out mids/distant sounding to my ears.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,573 of 2,017

Yep, tried those before -sucked out mids/distant sounding to my ears.

That's odd, I just tried squeezing mine against my ears to see if it made a noticeable difference and honestly it doesn't. I get slightly brighter highs when they are crushed against my ear but other than that, not much of a difference. The only time I felt that the T50Mk3 sounded distant was when I plugged them to my phone or to my other USB DAC/AMP the Fiio E7. On my current DAC/AMP an Audio GD NFB-12 I set them to High Gain to get the best sound of them.

Nov 19, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,574 of 2,017
If you change the stock pads (which for me sound best), be careful because it can also dramatically modify the bass response if it closes the evacuation of the inner bass vents between the pads and headphone structure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back