Fostex Mods for T20/40/50/(60) RP series Mk3
Aug 30, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #16 of 37
I finally solved the Speaker out noise problem. (not totally but acceptable level)

Before this I always assume overpower will make the sound like Schwarzenegger. Rough, heavy. But no! It acts like Bruce Lee. Fast, light, smooth. (Just the Tx0rp, not the same case on my M1060)

It's not a night and day different but sure this result convinced me invest a more powerful amp.

A quick look of my fully open test:
IMG_20180827_021518.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #17 of 37
A quick look of my fully open test:

How does it sound? I too am working on an open headphone based on the T50RP MK2 driver

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #18 of 37
How does it sound? I too am working on an open headphone based on the T50RP MK2 driver
I just can say with EQ, this sound let me see lot of potential.
You may have a quick try youself to see what it's open sound like. By simply remove the cups and hold the baffle with pad on your ears by hands.

I'm still looking for a decent headband with open cups to continue the project.
I found somes and made the order but the seller never ship or reply, sad......
https://shop36285664.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.1000126.3.780d6e9evAanZn

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 37
I just can say with EQ, this sound let me see lot of potential.
You may have a quick try youself to see what it's open sound like. By simply remove the cups and hold the baffle with pad on your ears by hands.

I'm still looking for a decent headband with open cups to continue the project.
I found somes and made the order but the seller never ship or reply, sad......
https://shop36285664.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.1000126.3.780d6e9evAanZn

Damn, thats a shame about the headband. I'm a bit worried about the bass, being open. Did you find that the bass response was lessened?

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 37
Just got the T20 and found the mid bass overpowering, was thinking of sending them back but Facebook page convinced me to mod these if I really wanted to keep them. I did. Shure pads and simple paper towels behind the drivers CLEANED THESE UP A LOT. Got a leather headband coming in from Mr. Speakers soon. Is there a mod that will give these the nice BLACK background like a HifiMAn delivers?

Dec 25, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #24 of 37
Double sided tape to keep it in place? Did the rolling paper napkin deal but it slides down a bit over the vents.. Still sounds good. :)
Whatever works for you :D
And for taming mid bass, consider closing some of the rear vents and adding some cotton/wool to eat the bass resonances

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #25 of 37
Whatever works for you :D
And for taming mid bass, consider closing some of the rear vents and adding some cotton/wool to eat the bass resonances
Adding the cotton now.. I didnt like these cheap cans when I first saw the box they came in, and the build also dropped my first impressions, but the sound! Wow...this has turned into a great holiday project for me. I got some angled Brainwaves coming in with the leather strap from Mr Speakers.
15458529114078973607955335257365.jpg

Dec 29, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #26 of 37
2018-12-26 11.59.53.jpg Windows 10/ USB >Topping D10>Coaxial> Audio-GD 11.28 > Fostex T20 MKiii

Been playing for the last 2 days and I think I found something that works for me, I've always had a thing for the MAd Dogs, So I replaced the Shure pads with the Brainwavz (angled) and these sound really good. I had taken the cotton out and lined the inside of the cups with thin Home Depot weather stripping. Sounded GREAT with the Shure pads...but I wanted that MAD DOG look. And I covered the back vents with black tape with a pin hole on top vent, suppose to act as a bass port..it does. The Brainwavz just sucked the life out of my sound :frowning2: mids and highs almost gone (without the cotton). BASS was monstrous though. So I added two layers of cotton back in there, taped to the back of the drivers...and DUDE..got my mids and highs back! The cool thing is tracks with not that much bass...sound like that, and tracks with bass....it has BASS. Luv it. Sounds better on my Lgv20> iFi Black LAbel> Fostex set up.. I never noticed Bob MArley physically moving back and forth from his mic during the recording of Natural Mystic.
2018-12-28 16.11.14.jpg 2018-12-28 19.18.55-1.jpg 2018-12-28 19.23.59-1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #27 of 37
Windows 10/ USB >Topping D10>Coaxial> Audio-GD 11.28 > Fostex T20 MKiii

Been playing for the last 2 days and I think I found something that works for me, I've always had a thing for the MAd Dogs, So I replaced the Shure pads with the Brainwavz (angled) and these sound really good. I had taken the cotton out and lined the inside of the cups with thin Home Depot weather stripping. Sounded GREAT with the Shure pads...but I wanted that MAD DOG look. And I covered the back vents with black tape with a pin hole on top vent, suppose to act as a bass port..it does. The Brainwavz just sucked the life out of my sound :frowning2: mids and highs almost gone (without the cotton). BASS was monstrous though. So I added two layers of cotton back in there, taped to the back of the drivers...and DUDE..got my mids and highs back! The cool thing is tracks with not that much bass...sound like that, and tracks with bass....it has BASS. Luv it. Sounds better on my Lgv20> iFi Black LAbel> Fostex set up.. I never noticed Bob MArley physically moving back and forth from his mic during the recording of Natural Mystic.

Yes, that is the way, you are in the right path, have a nice 2019...

once you understand how transmission line loudspeakers and 4th order band-pass enclosures work you will be able to use Alpha, ZMF or other deep pads and by controlling the amount and density of the foam that partially blocks the path of the back wave to the front, tune it to your own preferred type of music genre and your personal tone preferences to achieve your goal.

However the only way to significantly improve this driver that is the best that money can buy (as it is RP = regular phase) despite it's price is by increasing the size of the enclosure.
The way to do this to some degree but with relatively good results (using the same stock enclosure) is to fill it up with fiberglass the only material that exhibits both damping sound and thermal insulation (to meet the thermodynamics requirements). Mayflower Electronics uses fiberglass in his V3 version and if you tune it you get a bass-head as well as a treble head phone with no sacrifice on the mid-range that blows your mind.

I have tried it (V3) as well as the actual enclosure enlargement (on Smeggy thunder-pants that are significantly larger and I made them even larger by adding a wooden ring from my failed M1060's, between the baffle and the outer case), you can find pics in the T60 thread, and I have blown away every 2K$ flagship be it dynamic, electrostatic or orthodynamic.

Read my profile I am a long time, and owner.

Forget what semi-knowledgeable headphone makers and reviewers are saying they are trying to make a living.

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #28 of 37
Yes, that is the way, you are in the right path, have a nice 2019...

once you understand how transmission line loudspeakers and 4th order band-pass enclosures work you will be able to use Alpha, ZMF or other deep pads and by controlling the amount and density of the foam that partially blocks the path of the back wave to the front, tune it to your own preferred type of music genre and your personal tone preferences to achieve your goal.

However the only way to significantly improve this driver that is the best that money can buy (as it is RP = regular phase) despite it's price is by increasing the size of the enclosure.
The way to do this to some degree but with relatively good results (using the same stock enclosure) is to fill it up with fiberglass the only material that exhibits both damping sound and thermal insulation (to meet the thermodynamics requirements). Mayflower Electronics uses fiberglass in his V3 version and if you tune it you get a bass-head as well as a treble head phone with no sacrifice on the mid-range that blows your mind.

I have tried it (V3) as well as the actual enclosure enlargement (on Smeggy thunder-pants that are significantly larger and I made them even larger by adding a wooden ring from my failed M1060's, between the baffle and the outer case), you can find pics in the T60 thread, and I have blown away every 2K$ flagship be it dynamic, electrostatic or orthodynamic.

Read my profile I am a long time, and owner.

Forget what semi-knowledgeable headphone makers and reviewers are saying they are trying to make a living.
Thanks @kintsaki !! I drop posts sometimes and wonder if it's just to boost my own ego...lol. When I get a response like yours it validates my enjoyment that I get sharing my experiences/journey with these magnificent toys. I'm somewhat ignorant to the terms used in describing how to mod these headphones, so I'm asking these questions in all sincerity and not mocking your generous input here. When I read INCREASING the size of the enclosure my mind see's myself shaving the back off the headphones and adding a bigger modified enclosure of some type, (Although I do have a thing for the sexy red cups of the PURPLE HEARTS....arent those crazy beautiful!!) but reading further into your comments I'm getting increasing the enclosure you mean just stuffing the inside with fiberglass entirely? So that there's no air space inside?

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #30 of 37
IMG_20191202_182154.jpg
IMG_20191204_111348.jpg
IMG_20191204_132535.jpg
head_and_ito.jpg
Fostex_moded_vs_T-X0_raw_and_eq.jpg
My brother ask me if I can make something with his moded fostex that doesn’t sound well. So I collect all ideas that I found on this forum that I was thinking will work and I made this semi open version. I try to make this mod more present sounding and more stage deep so that’s why is with angled pads. Unfortunately my preferred velour pads made this headphones bass less for my brother :) .

With other type of pads bass was loose and goes on mids making muddy sound skin pads also make disaster with highs. Maybe some hybrid pads with different tunning . Graph show comparison this mod with velour pads and two cotton rings behind to T-X0 raw and T-X0 equalized to Harman target using oratory1990 eq preset on my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back