Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output)
Jul 24, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #331 of 401
Another quick question to the happy owners of this wonderful Fostex unit:
If I hook up a DAP vis USB OTG cable+ the Fostex USB cable supplied, will it supply power to the DAP (and charge it) from its USB 2.0 port, or this port is only meant for data transfer?

Jul 31, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #335 of 401
Having an issue...
I bought an adaptor from Drop.com, the balanced XLR to 2.5mm, so that I could use my IEMS. However I get small electric shocks (tingles) from the metal shells of my IEMs.
Any idea what's going on? I have a multimeter and if I measure between the left and right shells, there's about 19V.
I should also add that I'm using optical in to the amp
Can anyone help please?

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #336 of 401
Having an issue...
I bought an adaptor from Drop.com, the balanced XLR to 2.5mm, so that I could use my IEMS. However I get small electric shocks (tingles) from the metal shells of my IEMs.
Any idea what's going on? I have a multimeter and if I measure between the left and right shells, there's about 19V.
I should also add that I'm using optical in to the amp
Can anyone help please?
There are differenr pinouts for 2.5mm balanced. The so-called "European", "Asian", "Fiio", "AK"....
Looks like the pin-out of your adapter does not match the one of you male-jack in the phones..

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #337 of 401
There are differenr pinouts for 2.5mm balanced. The so-called "European", "Asian", "Fiio", "AK"....
Looks like the pin-out of your adapter does not match the one of you male-jack in the phones..
I also made my own adaptor cable and I get the same issue. Fostex distributor, SVC are assisting but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. If I measure between pins 1 and 3 I get 1 or 2 millivolts, which is fine.
Same between pins 2 and 4
Yesterday I plugged in and for a while it was all fine, but then I started getting shocks again.

Can anyone else with metal bodies IEMs let me know if they experience the same issue?

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #338 of 401
This Fostex has only one DAC chip, but a balanced amplification part, is that correct?
If so, that seems a bit strange to me, a balanced DAC/amp should have two DACs and two amps for true balance. What Gives balanced output in this case? Only higher power?

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #340 of 401
Can someone explain to me exactly how to uninstall the HP-A4 usb driver and install the HP-A4BL usb driver on Windos 10. I have been unable to do that. I have downloaded "FOSTEX_USB_Audio_Driver_V221.zip" It seems like no matter what I do I end up with the HP-A4. It works OK but it is not the HP-A4BL. Some where along the line months ago I had it installed. But then my computer crashed and I can't seem to get it back.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #341 of 401
I also made my own adaptor cable and I get the same issue. Fostex distributor, SVC are assisting but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. If I measure between pins 1 and 3 I get 1 or 2 millivolts, which is fine.
Same between pins 2 and 4
Yesterday I plugged in and for a while it was all fine, but then I started getting shocks again.

Can anyone else with metal bodies IEMs let me know if they experience the same issue?

*Update*
Fostex sent me an earthed power supply. All is now fine :)

Nov 9, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #343 of 401
Dec 2, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #344 of 401
Anyone tried this amp with the Hifiman Sundara? I'm looking to upgrade my home setup and currently deciding if I should go HP-A4 + Sennheiser HD650 or Hifiman Sundara.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #345 of 401
Sennheiser 600 series are at their best with a tube amp. The Fostex would not be my choice for Sennheisers. I have no idea about the Sundara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back