Fostex HP-A4
Dec 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #242 of 324
The combo HP-A4 / Sennheiser HD600 (with modded HD650 Cables) works very well for me. The bass on the Senn hits hard, but could be better defined. What a surprise considering that this HP isn't known to be bassy :) I added a middle class USB-cable (Audioquest Cinnamon) linked to my MacBook Pro with Audirvana (Plus 1.5.12). I noticed that this set-up absolutely need

This set-up is quite lively and can be revealing (on the bad way) on some recordings. Nevertheless, I didn't await such a good SQ with that combo. Despite the aforementioned let-downs, I cannot stop smiling and having goosebumps listening to my favorites tracks. This set-up does something special with ambient, classical, modern classical, pop & good enough produced "all the rest"-music.   
My main rig being Lcd-X (recabled with Norne Audio Draug2), Lcd-2 rev.2 (dito), Alpha Dog (dito) and DT880 (600 ohm, stock) connected to a V200 with Exposure DAC & Stello U3 + Rowen Cables, I'm surprised that the HP-A4/HD600 is sounding so nice and engaging.

I'm sorry not being able to describe treble/mids/highs/bass criterias well enough because my knowledge about those specifities has its limits in therms of vocabulary. I just know that what I'm listening to is superb with that combination considering the price of the whole package (approx. 600-700 USD).

Not being talented in English (my third language) and in writing expression, I hope my contribution will maybe give someone/somehow the need to listening to this combo.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #243 of 324
I'm looking to buy a DAC/AMP combo and was looking at this HP-A4 as I can get it for 200$ CAN which isn't that expensive. At the same price I can get an Audioengine D1 ... which one would you choose ? The main cans that I listen to are my Beyer DT990 250ohm, HD598 and my Grado SR225e. Thanks for your help !

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #244 of 324
I used to own the Audioengine D1, a very good sounding device for the price! But if you can buy the Fostex for 200$ CAN, I wouldn't hesitate too long. Owning the Fostex since 9 months now, I can say that this a nice improvement over the D1. Better resolution, more impact, a very good desktop amp for the price as well. With the DT990 250 ohms, I think that you'll need the power reserve of the Fostex, because I couldn't drive my LCD-2 with the D1 properly on my desktop system at that time. Do you have the opportunity to test both? 

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #245 of 324
Unfortunately I dont ... that would have been nice though ! It seems like you're the only one who could test both so I'll buy it and if I don't like I will sell it here ! It will be about 170 USD which isn't that much IMO. Thanks for your reply !

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #248 of 324
I used to own the Audioengine D1, a very good sounding device for the price! But if you can buy the Fostex for 200$ CAN, I wouldn't hesitate too long. Owning the Fostex since 9 months now, I can say that this a nice improvement over the D1. Better resolution, more impact, a very good desktop amp for the price as well. With the DT990 250 ohms, I think that you'll need the power reserve of the Fostex, because I couldn't drive my LCD-2 with the D1 properly on my desktop system at that time. Do you have the opportunity to test both? 

Don't mind if you can elaborate more about the significant improvement in sound can be noticed from Audioengine D1 to Fostex HP-A4?

Has anyone compared the HP-A4 with iFi Nano iDSD?
Which one sound better?

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #249 of 324
It's possible to have 2 input sources? Or the USB it's only to power the device? I would like to use the Hpa4 with macmini and ps4, but don't want to mess changing cables every 5 minutes

Anyone has used to process the PS4 sound?

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #251 of 324
Hi everyone!
I'm a happy new owner of the HP-A4. So far VERY happy about the way it drives my TH600's!

I have a technical question: My PC is on almost permanently and my concern is whether it is OK or bad for the unit to be permanently powered on? Or should I unplug the device while it's unused?

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #252 of 324
  Hi everyone!
I'm a happy new owner of the HP-A4. So far VERY happy about the way it drives my TH600's!

I have a technical question: My PC is on almost permanently and my concern is whether it is OK or bad for the unit to be permanently powered on? Or should I unplug the device while it's unused?

My HP-A4 has been connected to my PC and powered on 24/7 since October 2014 with no problems.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #253 of 324
  My HP-A4 has been connected to my PC and powered on 24/7 since October 2014 with no problems.

Thanks for your feedback. That's reassuring 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #254 of 324
Has anyone compared the HP-A4 with iFi Nano iDSD?
Which one sound better?

I own both Nano iDSD and HP-A4. I think the Fostex is more detailed in the upper regions and a better match for some headphones, Denons for instance. Whereas the Nano iDSD is is slightly warmer and thicker sounding. Both sound good, they just sound different.

I have a HP-A4 in the classifieds if anyone is interersted. The iDSD will be going up as well probably. Have my Geek Pulse xfi inbound.

May 1, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #255 of 324

I own both Nano iDSD and HP-A4. I think the Fostex is more detailed in the upper regions and a better match for some headphones, Denons for instance. Whereas the Nano iDSD is is slightly warmer and thicker sounding. Both sound good, they just sound different.

I have a HP-A4 in the classifieds if anyone is interersted. The iDSD will be going up as well probably. Have my Geek Pulse xfi inbound.

Damn you :p was waiting for the 200€ mark , that pub wont help my situation ahah , just kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back