Forum hype
Jan 8, 2007 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

warMen

100+ Head-Fier
One thing I've learned since I've been here for a few months is.... DON'T BUY INTO FORUM HYPE. I think that's part of the reason people spend so much money on this stuff and are never happy. I'm not going to single anybody out, but there are definitely people here who blow things way out of proportion . Cables especially seem to be way over-hyped.

This place is a gold mine for companies because we act as peer-to-peer marketers. The companies ought to be paying us and giving us free headphones
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok
cool.gif

They pay 'beautiful people' at the mall to walk around wearing certain clothes, to act cool and popular with their friends.

so far, I've sold Sennheiser to 2 of my friends.

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I've learned since I've been here

How about the forums such as the Members' Lounge (General Discussion) [edit: we've been moved from the Headphones forum.]

Quote:

I'm not going to single anybody out

Thank goodness. It would be one very long list. You might never finish
tongue.gif

Quote:

Cables especially seem to be way over-hyped.

those jedi cable mind tricks

Quote:

The companies ought to be paying us and giving us free headphones
cool.gif

blink.gif
Sure wish.

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 58
Agreed 100%. I bet triports ARE amazing. As I'v suspected all along.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 58
I think the headphone market is pretty small. If we don't buy their stuff, then who will? Plus, purchases of current products allow companies to produce newer and better products. That's a good thing. Also, I don't think you are giving people enough credit. I'm sure some people buy a headphone or amp in a moment's notice. But most people, I bet, do a fair amount of research before committing.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 58
I think some people tend to exaggerate everything in an attempt to convince themselves that the crazy money they spent on some things was justified (which in most cases it clearly wasn't). If it weren't for the hype this forum would probably have 10 times less members. I think everyone's done it at one point, but yes, it sure can be rampant around here at times

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

One thing I've learned since I've been here for a few months is.... DON'T BUY INTO FORUM HYPE. I think that's part of the reason people spend so much money on this stuff and are never happy. I'm not going to single anybody out, but there are definitely people here who blow things way out of proportion .

While that is true, I think there's also people that gloss over obvious differences. I don't deny that certain characteristics may be insignificant to many people but just because they are not important to some does not mean they are insignificant to all. The reason for such different views I believe is that we all have different ears and different preferences/priorities when it comes to good sound. To each their own I say.

Quote:

Cables especially seem to be way over-hyped.

I have on occasions been surprised how much clear difference a cable makes. At other times I could not hear the slightest difference between two cables. I think you're probably correct in saying they're over-hyped but I wouldn't assume that they never make a significant difference. In my experience they most certainly can.

Quote:

This place is a gold mine for companies because we act as peer-to-peer marketers. The companies ought to be paying us and giving us free headphones
cool.gif

I'm all for that. ^_^

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 58
I must have sat behind the computer at least 10 hours before buying both of my major two headphones. The DT990 missed the FOTM boat by 2 months, but it's definitely worth it to me.

And don't get started on cables...

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 58
eh... i still think it was worth it.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 58
It works both ways. For example, I was very skeptical about the V-Moda Vibes, particularly with Val (from V-Moda) posting here in the forums. It seemed to me to be all marketing. But when I heard them (a friend upgraded from her Creative Ep 630s), I had to admit that there was something to the hype.

It's hard to achieve anything like true objectivity, whatever that is, on a forum such as this. But that makes it a little interesting and entertaining -- if a bit taxing on the wallet.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 58
Very true, that's why it's a good idea to heavily research the headphones or other gear you're looking at to get past all the hype/fanboyism.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 58
Many such hyped reports are from persons who have just got some new bauble and may be quite thrilled, initially. Of course then they get used to it, think its not so great any more and before they know it they are getting threatening letters from Mastercard/Visa.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 58
IMHO theres nothing wrong with being excited over new gear. What members need to realize is that its ALL 100% subjective oppinion, based on the personal experience(s) of the poster.

The ONLY oppinion that really matters is YOURS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back