Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #287 of 494
Regarding the Bluetooth connection issues, there must be something wrong.
I just did an outdoor workout session at where up to 15 meters (sometimes even with concrete walls in between me and the (android) smartphone) and had not a single stutter.
iOS, or Android?

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #290 of 494
Thank you. My experience is that Android stability is OK (I tried with my ZX507) but far worse with iOS. I can’t even have my iOS phone in my pocket (any pocket) or the dropouts are constant.

Unfortunately I’m not sure if this is an iOS issue, or a hardware fault in my unit. I am going to return these to Drop and get a new pair. Fingers crossed it fixes that for me, otherwise these are IMO unusable with iOS.

This is with the most recent version of iOS and iPhone 13 Pro Max, FWIW.
Android, Pixel 4a

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #291 of 494
Wait for what? A firmware update? They’re unuseable outdoors unless I have them a foot or two from the buds. In a pocket they constantly dropout.

Regarding the Bluetooth connection issues, there must be something wrong.
I just did an outdoor workout session at where up to 15 meters (sometimes even with concrete walls in between me and the (android) smartphone) and had not a single stutter.

Thank you. My experience is that Android stability is OK (I tried with my ZX507) but far worse with iOS. I can’t even have my iOS phone in my pocket (any pocket) or the dropouts are constant.

Unfortunately I’m not sure if this is an iOS issue, or a hardware fault in my unit. I am going to return these to Drop and get a new pair. Fingers crossed it fixes that for me, otherwise these are IMO unusable with iOS.

This is with the most recent version of iOS and iPhone 13 Pro Max, FWIW.
Hey @loplop,
First of all, thank you for being a patron!

Second, are you saying the Bluetooth connection is good when you use your Sony DAP (with android) + Drop/grell TWS1X, but when you add your iPhone to the mix the connection becomes spotty? Have you tried connecting the TWS1X to a computer? If the only issue is with the iPhone, we wonder if there is anything else to try that might save you the time with shipping. If the grell audio product is working with other devices, it would be a shame to exchange units only for your iPhone to continue having issues.

Have you tested the new iPhone 13 with other Bluetooth devices, or is there anything else about the environment (like a case that blocks signal) that might be interfering with your iPhone 13’s transmission?

However, we are curious to explore and test your TWS1X and see where the problem is coming from. If you plan on making an exchange (and haven’t already reached out to us), please contact us at support@grellaudio.com.

The design of the TWS1X was tested and optimized for cross-body signals… it’s not ideal, but it should work, even outside and with a phone/transmitter in a left pocket. Anyone can force the TWS/1 or TWS1X to lose connection by covering the earpieces with their hands, but this would pretty much have to be intentional 😉 The TWS/1 and TWS1X should work with a phone in your pocket!

I'm really hoping Grell can add more volume to the default tuning, hopefully the amplification can cope with it... :/

Because these are easily my favourite TWS if you look at SQ alone, just needs a bit more volume... :frowning2:
After testing, we have good news! We can go for 9 dB more! That’s nearly double the perceived volume, 3 times the sound pressure level, and 9 times as much energy!
Just remember, practice safe listening so you can enjoy music for many many years :)

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #292 of 494
Hey @loplop,
First of all, thank you for being a patron!

Second, are you saying the Bluetooth connection is good when you use your Sony DAP (with android) + Drop/grell TWS1X, but when you add your iPhone to the mix the connection becomes spotty? Have you tried connecting the TWS1X to a computer? If the only issue is with the iPhone, we wonder if there is anything else to try that might save you the time with shipping. If the grell audio product is working with other devices, it would be a shame to exchange units only for your iPhone to continue having issues.

Have you tested the new iPhone 13 with other Bluetooth devices, or is there anything else about the environment (like a case that blocks signal) that might be interfering with your iPhone 13’s transmission?

However, we are curious to explore and test your TWS1X and see where the problem is coming from. If you plan on making an exchange (and haven’t already reached out to us), please contact us at support@grellaudio.com.

The design of the TWS1X was tested and optimized for cross-body signals… it’s not ideal, but it should work, even outside and with a phone/transmitter in a left pocket. Anyone can force the TWS/1 or TWS1X to lose connection by covering the earpieces with their hands, but this would pretty much have to be intentional 😉 The TWS/1 and TWS1X should work with a phone in your pocket!

After testing, we have good news! We can go for 9 dB more! That’s nearly double the perceived volume, 3 times the sound pressure level, and 9 times as much energy!
Just remember, practice safe listening so you can enjoy music for many many years :)
Awesome news on the volume. That will be a huge deal!! Will that come through a firmware update?

I can confirm Bluetooth with my iPhone 13 Pro Max works perfectly with AirPods, B&W PX, and also worked flawlessly with Sony WF-1000XM3 before I lost them :/ only the Grell has problems.

Yes, it was better on Android with my ZX507. Still had some dropouts with it in my back pocket, but it was at least listenable. With the iPhone it drops out 10x a minute sometimes, which is extremely annoying.

I bought through Drop, and they agreed to a replacement. I’m about to ship it back, unless you want me to do some testing.

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #293 of 494

One Weird Trick…​

Hey everyone, we’ve had a busy launch, and a busy weekend! A big thank you to everyone keeping this thread lively and active, polite and constructive, and we’re super pleased to see so many people enamoured with the sound quality from our launch product.

Obviously, we have been interacting and trying to smooth a few bumps in the firmware update process. Sonarworks performed an over the air update and some backend work that would make the SoundID app more reliable as well as easier to read and navigate (check your App Store for the latest update… iOS just came out in the last 2 days!). However, in the process of going over the code and experimenting, they did come across one weird trick that has been tested to work with at least Android devices (and maybe helps iOS), and is recommended to try for your next firmware update:

Firmware update process is faster and more stable if the user listens to some audio during it. Preferably start the audio before opening SoundID app and keep enjoying the music until earbuds get rebooted at the end of the firmware updating process. If the earbuds do disconnect from phone (and stop the audio) before end of firmware update (before "Validating" and "Rebooting" steps) then it is advisable to, without closing the SoundID app, go to system settings and reconnect the earbuds.

There is even a reason for it, related to the way the TWS/1 connects to a smartphone using Bluetooth classic, but the SoundID app makes its own BLE connection in parallel, but the important thing is that it works, and can help if the update is having trouble completing the standard way. In the future, Sonarworks is looking into incorporating this connection advantage into the normal pairing process so that people don’t have to know about it, but for now…

Listening to music is good for you (and the TWS/1)!

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #294 of 494

One Weird Trick…​

Hey everyone, we’ve had a busy launch, and a busy weekend! A big thank you to everyone keeping this thread lively and active, polite and constructive, and we’re super pleased to see so many people enamoured with the sound quality from our launch product.

Obviously, we have been interacting and trying to smooth a few bumps in the firmware update process. Sonarworks performed an over the air update and some backend work that would make the SoundID app more reliable as well as easier to read and navigate (check your App Store for the latest update… iOS just came out in the last 2 days!). However, in the process of going over the code and experimenting, they did come across one weird trick that has been tested to work with at least Android devices (and maybe helps iOS), and is recommended to try for your next firmware update:

There is even a reason for it, related to the way the TWS/1 connects to a smartphone using Bluetooth classic, but the SoundID app makes its own BLE connection in parallel, but the important thing is that it works, and can help if the update is having trouble completing the standard way. In the future, Sonarworks is looking into incorporating this connection advantage into the normal pairing process so that people don’t have to know about it, but for now…

Listening to music is good for you (and the TWS/1)!
Anecdotally, I unintentionally left music playing when I first launched SoundID and took the firmware update and had zero issues.

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #296 of 494
Does the TWS-1 support APTX voice?

Also I can't seem to have both ANC and transperence mode off? The single tap works as a toggle between the two in my case.
It should be a tap on the left ear to turn off/on transparent mode. If ANC was active, transparency mode turns it off. To toggle ANC, it ought to work if you hold on the left earpiece for a full second.

aptX and aptX Adaptive are currently the only Qualcomm codecs supported.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #297 of 494
It should be a tap on the left ear to turn off/on transparent mode. If ANC was active, transparency mode turns it off. To toggle ANC, it ought to work if you hold on the left earpiece for a full second.

Oh, I see...My unit seems to have an incredible hard time to active the long-press touch controls, we'll see after the upcoming update. All I can hear is 1 beep followed by 2 beeps when long pressing the left earbud.

Such a shame about APTX voice tho, that could have been a game changer for the currently poor android bluetooth voice quality.

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #298 of 494
Does the TWS-1 support APTX voice?

Also I can't seem to have both ANC and transperence mode off? The single tap works as a toggle between the two in my case.
Put it into ANC mode, then touch and hold the left bud until you hear 3 beeps. Then tap the left bud.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #299 of 494
Well i am not so sure about that, they are already pretty loud for me on my android devices :)

i wonder how it will impact the battery life? but It 's great you managed to take that into consideration.

I notice that SoundID app also indicates the earbuds controls which is handy a a very nice touch.
Do you plan to add other features to get more control of the earbuds later than firmware update and loading sound profile?

Overall i really like how they sound and enjoy the design and for the most part have been pretty solid.

Thanks

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #300 of 494
Finally able to take a walk with them today. Also did a phone call, no complaints on the other side regarding call quality, but I didn’t ask directly. Then music for a good 30 minutes while walking. No drop outs whatsoever. Phone in left front pocket with a hat on (hat shouldn’t make a difference).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back