Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Oct 31, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #76 of 494
I thought this comparison was a touch unfair. If I had a set of buds tuned to my personal preference, I'm probably going to think they sound better (to my ear) than most other tws.
That's why I said you would come to the conclusion that he would have to use SoundID to tune the TWS-1 to his preference. From the preview it is obvious he didn't download the SoundID app to setup personalized settings or to use SoundID's built in PEQ. Maybe in a future video he will do these things and will be more positive.

Since none of us normal consumers have these IEMs in our hands yet we're kind of at the mercy of such previews. It would have been nice if they were more thorough in fine tuning the TWS-1 with SoundID app for an apples to apples comparison.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #79 of 494
That's why I said you would come to the conclusion that he would have to use SoundID to tune the TWS-1 to his preference. From the preview it is obvious he didn't download the SoundID app to setup personalized settings or to use SoundID's built in PEQ. Maybe in a future video he will do these things and will be more positive.

Since none of us normal consumers have these IEMs in our hands yet we're kind of at the mercy of such previews. It would have been nice if they were more thorough in fine tuning the TWS-1 with SoundID app for an apples to apples comparison.
I got that. I got the impression he didn't have the option to use SoundID as it's not available yet (but I could be wrong about that).

What I was trying to say is I don't think it can ever be 'apples to apples' when you were PERSONALLY involved in tuning one of the apples (not via an app).

Using the SoundID app would make it a fairer comparison, but even then, I don't think it is a fair comparison as Oluv was involved in tuning the earfun model, so it's obviously going to match his tastes.

(If he used SoundID and said they now sound amazing, then that would be a massive selling point and something to look forward to - 'get a tuning as desirable as if you were involved in the manufacturing process' 😁.)

I was intrigued by his comments about the sound having a '3D' feel. I'll be coming from Sennheiser MTW2 and the soundstage is the quality I like most about them so I'm hoping for a great soundstage on the TWS/1 🤞.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #81 of 494
I can't get it delivered to Australia?
Hi there. I noticed this on the 'delivery' page of the website,

'Orders from Australia and Canada will be fulfilled from international warehouses, so your orders might be subject to VAT and duty upon arrival.'

I'm not sure if this message appears if you just go directly to checkout and pay, so I thought I'd mention it.

(I don't think you're being charged more in total than people elsewhere like me in UK, but you just may have to make a separate payment for VAT/customs to courier, rather than everything being included in the one initial payment when ordering.)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #83 of 494
Found one preview, Youtube channel "oluv's gadgets". After watching the preview, I think you'll come to the conclusion that he will need to use SoundID to fine tune the sound signature to his preference.
After listening to just one track for a few seconds, he can tell that "there is some resonance around 7kHz" and gives a mixed review. I would expect some more thorough listening and analysis before arriving at a judgement, let alone publishing it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #84 of 494
Does anybody know why there are still so few reviews out there?

Here's a new one (German) https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/grell-tws-1/
Not sure, but I guess it's kind of unreviewable (properly) until all the features including SoundID are available.

I think the whole release timeline (including reviews I guess) has unfortunately been impacted by the global issues surrounding supply chains and shipping.

I think I've read shipping containers cost 10x more than in 2019 due to balance of supply and demand, and a guy from ARM has recently warned that electronic products could be hit by shortages this Christmas due to supply chain issues.

Fingers crossed things progress over the next few weeks (with more reviews appearing too 😁).

Don't know if you found this one but there is one other early review floating about. Need to sign up to heise.de to access full article though. And it is from 6/10 so may be different in final product.

https://www.heise.de/tests/Kabelloses-In-Ear-Headset-mit-ANC-von-Grell-Audio-im-Test-6210750.html

Interestingly, also mentions sound signature change with ANC making it more v-shaped. I'm hoping this can be tweaked by release or with an update, or at least that multiple EQ settings can be saved for the different modes if it is a noticeable difference. (This was another thing I rate MTW2 for.)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #85 of 494
Not sure, but I guess it's kind of unreviewable (properly) until all the features including SoundID are available.

I think the whole release timeline (including reviews I guess) has unfortunately been impacted by the global issues surrounding supply chains and shipping.

I think I've read shipping containers cost 10x more than in 2019 due to balance of supply and demand, and a guy from ARM has recently warned that electronic products could be hit by shortages this Christmas due to supply chain issues.
SoundID app is available in iOS and Google app stores already, but there may still be final product tweaking going on (?). Pre-orders only started several weeks ago with a shipping time of 5 weeks. There has been no word from Grell Audio (GA) whether there is a shipping delay for pre-orders. Since this is the first GA product release I would think they would inform purchasers of any shipping delays, not doing so would be very bad form as I'm sure Grell Audio plans to develop and sell products for many years to come.

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #86 of 494
SoundID app is available in iOS and Google app stores already, but there may still be final product tweaking going on (?). Pre-orders only started several weeks ago with a shipping time of 5 weeks. There has been no word from Grell Audio (GA) whether there is a shipping delay for pre-orders. Since this is the first GA product release I would think they would inform purchasers of any shipping delays, not doing so would be very bad form as I'm sure Grell Audio plans to develop and sell products for many years to come.
Wanted to add a bit further info here, you guys hit most of the main points. The reviews have been slow coming out mainly because we want to wait for the product to be fully finalized before they review them and that includes them having the SoundID app with the full link to the product. Even though the app is ready they are still working on adding all our detailed info and finalizing the embedded link between the app and our product.

On the production side of things, MP has started and we will start to ship quantity out from our factory in about 7 days and then out to customers a couple of days later. And we definitely plan to sell products for many years to come, Axel has mapped out an amazing roadmap that we want to develop with the community that we build around the brand. So start to involve early supporters and get their feedback throughout the process.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #88 of 494
Here is the frequency graph that Crinacle measured:

1636473504694.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back