Forgotten Beauty: Sony NW-HD1. Head-Fi in style.
Oct 5, 2008 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ricthaman

500+ Head-Fier
Well guys,

I stumbles upon one of the most amazing looking DAP's of all times last month.
I was in a store where they had a NEW HD1 and HD5 lying around. I bought them both at a bargain price of 65$ but already sold the HD5.

The HD1 was just so stunningly awsome that I had to keep it. Mind you, I'm a Mac user now but there was a time when I was a BIG TIME Sony fan and bought all their walkmans. From The Minidiscs to Hi-MD to the Walkmans and everything!

This hobby ended when I got my mac. I installed XP on the Mac especially to host this beauty.

Let me go back in time a bit. It was fall 2004 and I was looking for some new player to replace my Good'old Sony MZ-N707 type R Minidisc. It was at that time that the new Hi-MD format was announced and along with it came a so called ''Network Walkman''. I wasn't very much interested in that one. I'd rather have a look into the MZ-NH1 or MZ-NH900. When at the store though, I stumbled upon this amazing beautifull brushed aluminium bodied player with a 20GB HDD inside and half the size of the iPod's. It had a great sense of style over it but so had the price tag. at something around 400 - 450 euros (500$ or something) it was a pretty high price tag and so I went for the trusty MD format.

I never forgot that beauty though. I've never seen one ''in the wild'', on the streets or in public. It was a bit exclusive in the sense that you'd never run into a person sporting a NW-HD1. You'd see the ipods all the time though. It was partly because the reputation it had amongst the cirtics of being delivered with bad software. But still it had some kind of magic around it.

Now, 4 years later, I just bumped into one of these. I just walked past a shelf in a store here and my eye caught a black box. NW-HD1 slipped through my mind in a second but I thought that was impossible. When I decided to go back and have a look just to be shure I couldn't believe my eyes. There it was. A brand new HD1 for just 65$. I didn't hesitate and immediately bought the unit. I unpacked the box like 5 mins later in the car. I HAD to see that thing now!!
tongue.gif
And it was worth it.

Now you'd be thinking right now, why am I reading this?! Well, it turns out that the SQ of this thing was pretty underestimated too. Because it hasn't sold mhuch it hasn't been reviewed mhuch so there ws little known about the SQ. At the time a was afraid it might be bad SQ because it was sony's first ''MP3'' player. Know that I finally have it I'm glad to notice that this thing has stunning SQ. The sound is really nice. Beats my ipods in all respects and even tops the current walkman line imho.
The internal amp is extremely powerfull when unlocked.

My Triple.fi's work very well with this player. They do pick up a tiny bit of hiss, but it is very reasonable for a player this age. Hell, it could even compete with the modern day players. The SQ is just special. all the modern day DAP's have a certain sound signature that they all have in common. They sound digital. This HD1 has a somehow ''less digital'' sound. If this has to do with the DAC, the internal amp or the ATRAC3 is a mystery to me, but there's no doubt on my mind that this thing is one of the best DAP's ever to be made concening both SQ and design.

nw-hd1_3.jpg

sony-nw-hd1.jpg

nw-hd1_1.jpg

1088693971.jpg

If anybody is interested in an in-depth review I'll write a review on the device itself in a little while and post it here in this thread.

Rgds,

ric

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 9
I've to agree it is a neat device. I've always been tempted to get it when it was released, but decided to stick with Minidiscs. Amazing that this was a harddrive based player, even today people may mistaken it for flash based on its size. If Sony should ever re-release this player with an upgraded screen, UMS/MTP and at least 32GB flash, I'll be all over it.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 9
Wish I could have found 1 of those awhile back - I went crazy trying to see if any small stores in the city (NYC) had any stashed away - no dice!!!! Great find!!!

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 9
It looked very nice for sure, but compared to the competition it was a nightmare to use. For the most part, it's rightly consigned to the scrapheap of Sony Own-Foot-Shootings. The SQ is no better, no worse than many players on the market... not that this is actually that discernible thanks to the monumentally crap format support.

But in general, I also wish Sony would bring this sort of player back again now that they seem to be regaining a slight clue. But since they're basically doing iPod knockoffs these days, maybe not.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 9
well, I compared it to my iPhone 3G, both headphone jack and line-out > 2Move but the HD1 beat the hp jack and came remarkebly close to the 2Move combo. The 2Move had wayyy more clarity, seperation and overall felling in the music. But nontheless this little thing holds up pretty well. It could be ranked as a top notch sounding player these days, which is pretty darn good for a player this age.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention that makes this player a bit more special. It's probably on of the last Walkmans that says ''Made in Japan'' on the back. All the Walkmans that came after the HD1 were made in malaysia.

Rgds,

ric

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 9
5 was the best sounding but ugly. 1 is definitely the best looking dap that i know of for sure though. but i prefer the oled screen of the nwa series.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh I dunno... The 5 was cute (not to mention actually usable while holding it securely in one hand). It was probably the only Sony HDD player released thus far I'd actually be (very reluctantly) willing to tolerate.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 9
I got into Network Walkmen thanks to the NW-HD Series, such as your HD1 and my HD5. I had used MD and Hi-MD for years, starting with the MZ-R50 and ending with the MZ-NH700, and still do now and then including using my MZ-RH1 (MZ-M200 will also work) for uploading MiniDiscs to SonicStage (3.4 or higher required, 4.2 CP recommended), and since you have MiniDisc already, I suggest you hop on over to Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, B & H Photo or eBay and get yourself an MZ-M200 MD/Hi-MD Walkman so you can upload your entire MiniDisc collection to your PC and spill it out and onto your new NW-HD1. I already use this combination with both my HD5 and RH1 and you will not be disappointed, believe me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back