"Forced" upgrade - Over-the-Counter SE or DIY Balanced?
Dec 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Zaubertuba

100+ Head-Fier
Well, my Windows installation went belly up, and my 1212m is finally driver-dead.  I recently came into (a little) cash, and was thinking of reterminating my HD580's back to SE so I could upgrade along the lines of:

Audio-GD 15.32
Asus Xonar Essence ST
Schiit Modi/Magni

Only problem is, after listening to my "backup" SE setup (onboard audio > old Pioneer receiver headphone out > HD202's), I was reminded of how electrically noisy my listening environment is.  My previous setup was balanced from source to phones.  I fear an upgrade to the SE components I listed might be prone to interference.  I don't know that I could tolerate the intermittent artifacts/digital noise that crops up (and by intermittent I mean maybe 5 instances over 2 hours).

Problem is, it seems balanced external DACs are clearly the next level of magnitude beyond my $200 (O.K., maybe $300) dollar budget.

I also wanted to upgrade from my diy balanced a47 amp.  I had the boards built for an alpha-20 based balanced amp, but I overbiased one of the four and fried it (didn't have the multimeter hooked up right
mad.gif
 ) , so to finish that project I'd probably need to get at least a new quad of transistors from AMB.

Still, I was thinking *maybe* if I went this route I'd have a balanced amp worthy of a better DAC, and possibly could string together Twisted Pear OPUS for around $200?  I know it would be a pretty basic build.  The catch here is I see TPA's USB receiver modules are out of stock, so I'd be stuck using the SPDIF directly off the motherboard--perhaps another concession 
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT:  I guess what I'm asking is, are the DIY options I'm considering plausible, and reasonable alternatives to the over-the-counter solutions I listed?  Or are there better options I'm not considering?

EDIT II (Sorry it's been awhile): I listen mostly to classical, jazz, classic rock and TV/movies (stereo only, no special processing).

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 2
Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I succumbed to an impulse buy---Emotiva's has a sale going on their XDA-2 for $250 so I snapped one up.
eek.gif
  Didn't even consider this one before since it was out of my price range.

Figure if the headphone amp really does turn out to be weak (and I'll end up making a Y-Adapter just to see...don't want to have to re-re-terminate my headphones later), I could still finish my a20 balanced headphone project, and in the meantime I still have my balanced a47--and don't have to reterminate my headphones.

Nervously optimistic....
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back