Forced upgrade from er-6i to .......?
Jan 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Poirot

New Head-Fier
Well, my second set of er6i's have developed a short on the left side. I just don't seem to have much luck with these. Each set lasts about a year then die on me. Could it be just me? Just to pile on, they changed the foam ear tips from a soft closed cell to a serrated edge open cell foam type. The new foam is scratchy, not comfortable, and just don't seal like the old ones. I fired off an email to register my displeasure.....which I am sure was brushed into the bit-bucket. I was lucky to find a shop that had the last few pairs of tips in North America, and bought them all out. Too bad the phones died on me.

Anywho, I am in the market to get another set of IEM's. I loved the isolation the foam tips provided, and the clarity the phones provided. They were lacking on the bass end of things, but I as never really a bass head. The phones I had before these were a set of Sony EX series and they are like sub-woofers compared to the 6i.

So, I am looking for something that are as clear (subjectively) as the 6i, with a touch more bass, and can provide the same or close to the isolation that the 6i has. I know that the isolation is based on the tips used. If I could reuse the Et tips I have on the new set, that would be great....I have so many to use. Oh, and I would like to spend less than $400 US. Tall order I know. Suggestions?

Thanks
Poirot

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Westone 3 or IE8 or SE530 or PHONAK!

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 12
u seem to really like the etymotics so why not just go for the ER4P?

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 12
I really liked the ety's, but they seem kinda fragile in a way to me now. I wasn't like I was spelunking with them as my main line. It could be that THAT particular model is more fragile...I don't know. I was satisfied with them and the isolation, but the longevity kinda left a bad taste with me as far as the brand. When the first set failed, I just chalked it up to me possibly jerking them by mistake and not noticing it. But when the second ones went 'cleavage up', it made me start wondering.

Just for clarification, I like the sound. But that is like saying I love Californian Merlot, and having never tasted Australian Cabernet.....so to speak. I kinda wonder if I am missing something. I will do some research on the 4P's. Can anyone speak on the build quality? Is the area where that cables meet the phones durable?

Thanks
Poirot

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 12
the ER4P is pretty durable and even if you do end up breaking them, etymotic research has a 2 year warranty on them and they are pretty lenient with their warranty on their er4p product at least..their customer service is amazing so no worries about that.

search for reviews..u will find a ton of stuff on the er4p

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 12
If $400 is your budget, and you enjoy the Ety sound, get the ER4P and a decent amp. Guaranteed happiness if you pick an amp known to have great synergy with the Etys.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 12
Amp: Minibox E+

Perhaps?
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 12
ooh..an amp is a great idea

get a amp that goes well with er4p and then you will see them really shine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back