For wine geeks: what kinda wine to freak your love ones out?
Nov 19, 2008 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

misterDX

500+ Head-Fier
i am looking for wines that have a original/special taste signatures that will be sure my family members goes "i have never tasted a wine that nearly taste like this!"

i would make a few examples, hopefully some of you have tried them:

Grappa/Marc
Fino/Amontillado/Oloroso/Pedro Ximénez
or wine that exhibit very usual Terroir (Las Rocas)?

anyone have particular bottles (available for sale online of course!)that you want to recommend me?

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 22
A "De Graves" Bordeaux should be fairly different. It is some of the most expensive wine out there, but one sip and it is delicious.

MUCH cheaper, but good alternatives:

Candoni Organic Merlot - extremely smooth, but full flavor
New Age (white or rose) - tastes like mixed drinks, very sweet like candy with a bit of sparkle to it.
Segura Viudas Aria - A sparkling Pinot Nior, very unique

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 22
Ever tried an ice wine? They're a dessert wine, served cold, produced from grapes that froze while still on the wine. They're not cheap, but are a wonderful after dinner drink.

Here are some for sale at Winebuys:

Ice Wine - Winebuys

While not a wine made with grapes, you might want to try a mead:

http://www.chaucerswine.com/mead.asp

I've had this a number of times - it is wonderful heated with a few spices added.

While it is a wine cocktail, try making Glug sometime:

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/fo...ails/glug.html

My family has made this over the holidays for years. Wine is just a component, but it's certainly different and wonderful during cold weather.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 22
I second mead, but only because I know nothing about wine and a fair bit about mead.

Look into the redstone meadery. Absolutely phenomenal stuff.

The juniper mountain would certainly fit the bill. Don't let the lousy website and slogan fool you -- these guys are serious about revitalizing the craft of mead making, and they host the largest international mead festival in the world.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 22
Bodegas Peique Bierzo Tinto Mencia

i swear, it tastes like cured ham. i cant really explain it, but its really fun to watch everyone's expressions when they smell it
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A "De Graves" Bordeaux should be fairly different. It is some of the most expensive wine out there, but one sip and it is delicious.

Even if "de graves" concerns a lot of different wines in France, it is usually not so expensive, I'm quite amazed to see that it's pricey for you. It means you probably don't have the really good ones
tongue.gif

OP : if you're looking for something original I'd go for Lambrusco wine (italian sparkling wine).
If you're not against white wine, you could try what we have in the east of France (gewürztraminer, pinot, muscat), and if you're budget is big look for the "vendanges tardives" version of those wines, absolutely fabulous.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 22
The kind I had was about $180/bottle here in Chicago. I should have known better as the wine tasting was at the Drake....

You can find cheaper very good ones for about $60-80, but nothing compares to that stuff. I need to find the name, I wrote it somewhere.

Plus you are in France, which is an unfair advantage as far as pricing and availability.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The kind I had was about $180/bottle here in Chicago. I should have known better as the wine tasting was at the Drake....

You can find cheaper very good ones for about $60-80, but nothing compares to that stuff. I need to find the name, I wrote it somewhere.

Plus you are in France, which is an unfair advantage as far as pricing and availability.

Holly crap 180$/bottle !
I mean this is also possible in France, but you don't drink that kind of wine very often. Exceptionnal bottles (the kind of bottles you'll never taste) can go up to a few thousands euros, excellent bottles up to a few hundreds, and for 60-80€ you get a very good bottle that you open for special occasions (except if you're particularly wealthy of course).
We don't have an unfair advantage, you have an unfair disadvantage
tongue.gif

I live in sweden at the moment, the price of wine is kinda the same as in the us (at least as in DC where I was last year) and it reallys breaks my heart when I see a 30$ bottle of Beaujolais (1/it sucks that you have to pay so much for it, 2/ it's not good
biggrin.gif
).

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chardonnay is good for getting women aroused.
tongue.gif

Great for family members
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back