For those who DISLIKE the legendary SR-60....
Jul 2, 2008 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hauntingtheholy

100+ Head-Fier
You're in the same very small boat as me. My biggest complaint is the lack of bass, and they are too bright. Aside from this though, I've decided I definitely want to go the route of a CLOSED can. So at least I learned something. I want headphones that can be described as BIG, WARM, FULL with a big soundstage. This is what I was expecting from the legendary Grado's, since I'm used to one of two $30 pair of Senns (the EH-150 and HD-202). I've heard the Bose around-ear triports and liked them, but according to this site they are "over-priced junk" and the arguments I've heard for this sound pretty logical to me. Surely I can do better, right? It's been a month and I've decided to sling the grado's on Ebay. (Can I post a link to my auction here once I've done this?)

So those who feel the same as me, what closed can should I buy next? Unfortunately I don't have any opportunity to listen first, so I gotta do good research and then Ebay if I don't like them. At the top of my list was ATH-ES7, but I am very concerned about fakes after reading that other thread about that. So now I'm considering the newer SQ5's. Also, on the "buyer's guide" sticky, I like the price and description of the Equation cans:
1-Equation rp21/rp22x ($85-$90) Plenty of awesome bass. Slightly recessed mids, good highs" However I have never heard of these until that thread. Any opinions there?

I'm looking to spend around $100 give or take a little either way.

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 8
I am in the same boat as you, I ordered some grado sr-80's off a great head-fi member and they just don't suit me. People keep saying they are great for rock and roll, I just don't see it, listening to Nightwish is better with the hd555's. It sounds more epic. I might invest in the sr-225, but if the sr-80's don't suit me then I am not sure if going higher will do any good. I like a big soundstage and grados don't really offer that.

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're in the same very small boat as me. My biggest complaint is the lack of bass, and they are too bright. Aside from this though, I've decided I definitely want to go the route of a CLOSED can. So at least I learned something. I want headphones that can be described as BIG, WARM, FULL with a big soundstage. This is what I was expecting from the legendary Grado's, since I'm used to one of two $30 pair of Senns (the EH-150 and HD-202). I've heard the Bose around-ear triports and liked them, but according to this site they are "over-priced junk" and the arguments I've heard for this sound pretty logical to me. Surely I can do better, right? It's been a month and I've decided to sling the grado's on Ebay. (Can I post a link to my auction here once I've done this?)

So those who feel the same as me, what closed can should I buy next? Unfortunately I don't have any opportunity to listen first, so I gotta do good research and then Ebay if I don't like them. At the top of my list was ATH-ES7, but I am very concerned about fakes after reading that other thread about that. So now I'm considering the newer SQ5's. Also, on the "buyer's guide" sticky, I like the price and description of the Equation cans:
1-Equation rp21/rp22x ($85-$90) Plenty of awesome bass. Slightly recessed mids, good highs" However I have never heard of these until that thread. Any opinions there?

Looking at the part that I bolded, I think you need to read around here more before you buy. I cannot imagine anybody who would say that about the Grados, except for maybe the RS-1, which I found to be too warm to be truly considered a sharp Grado.

In short, different companies have different "sound signatures," and even then there are some headphones within their own product line with differing sound signatures. The best rule of thumb is to do tons of research before dropping cash on something, and sometimes even then, you my not find them to your liking.

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the same boat as you, I ordered some grado sr-80's off a great head-fi member and they just don't suit me. People keep saying they are great for rock and roll, I just don't see it, listening to Nightwish is better with the hd555's. It sounds more epic. I might invest in the sr-225, but if the sr-80's don't suit me then I am not sure if going higher will do any good. I like a big soundstage and grados don't really offer that.

I can see we have death note in common as well.
cool.gif

I too bought them because everyone said they were good for rock. But then when we say "rock" people mean very different things, right? I think that's what tripped me up. My favorite artist is Devin Townsend. He makes BIG and unique "rock."

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the part that I bolded, I think you need to read around here more before you buy. I cannot imagine anybody who would say that about the Grados, except for maybe the RS-1, which I found to be too warm to be truly considered a sharp Grado.

In short, different companies have different "sound signatures," and even then there are some headphones within their own product line with differing sound signatures. The best rule of thumb is to do tons of research before dropping cash on something, and sometimes even then, you my not find them to your liking.

Right, right, right, so....suggestions?
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 8
grados do distorted guitars alarmingly well. you have to look REALLY hard to find something better. if there are no distorted guitars in your music (or they take a lesser presence) this is obviously less important.

If you are looking to bring out the bass in music, you should look towards something that handles pipe organs well. the beyerdynamic DT-770 springs to mind as a closed option. The Stagg shp-4500 is also an option, but it was the flavor of 3 months ago.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, on the "buyer's guide" sticky, I like the price and description of the Equation cans:

well for around $100, the rp-21/22x match the description of your preferred headphone sound. you'll also like the dt770s but they're brighter than the rp-21 and more bass-heavy.

the first headphones that popped in my mind were the hd650s, but they're open...and far exceed your budget. they have pretty much the exact sound signature you're looking for based on your descriptions though.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Ultrasone iCans/ Audio Technica ES7.
They all sound great w/ rock and have warm and much better high extension than SR60. I even prefer K81DJ to SR60 which is a little dry IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back