For those awaiting PS3, something to tide you over.
Oct 14, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 20
Classical case of supply & demand.

But obviously that big wiz did not realise (or chose to ignore) the high marginal cost of doing what he did.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 20
the guy that draws that actually lives close to me, goes to the same anime/comic shop I do. Pretty cool guy, and I love the comics.

Oct 14, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Ironic. That totally didn't happen with the Xbox 360 launch
rolleyes.gif

360 launch I think was a lot less extreme then what the PS3 will be. Hell people camped out for a damn preorder. That's sad.

Oct 14, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 20
Yep. I think Sony is in a heap of trouble this generation. Mostly due to price point. The fact that they can't really capitalise on the holiday season due to inadequate supply is crippling.

Xbox 360 was a little different because there was not two other next generation choices to choose from on shelves when they were suffering supply shortages. It was either wait or nothing. For the PS3 it will be either wait, or get a 360 and/or Wii.

I also forsee hardware trouble. Imagine, if Sony can't even stock the systems due to drive manufacturing problems, what if you have to RMA? Too much new tech in the box for a first gen purchase for me. I'll be waiting a while until all of the kinks, both known and unkown are worked out. A price slash won't hurt either.

Oct 14, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
Too much new tech in the box for a first gen purchase for me. I'll be waiting a while until all of the kinks, both known and unkown are worked out. A price slash won't hurt either.

Good point. There are rumors going around about hardware instability with the PS3 and personally, I've been far less than impressed with Sony over the last few years anyway. They just can't seem to get things right anymore.

As much as I'd love a new game system, I'm definitely adpoting a wait and see approach as well. Wait and see if it works right, wait and see if the games are really that much better, wait and see if Blue Ray ever really gets off the ground, and wait and see if the price drops far enough for me to even consider it.

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 20
I <3 my PS2, and play it sooo much, but so far the PS3 hasn't impressed me. This will be the first generation where I've actually needed to stop and think which console I will get. Right now, the Wii looks the most attractive, and I'll be able to actually afford it in this lifetime, but the PS3 does have some cool stuff as well. White Knight Story looks gorgeous.

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 20
I have a feeling if you get your hands on one it'll be very difficult to convince yourself not to sell it at 3-4 times profit
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn
I foresee the PS3 as a big flop, and im NOT physic.
blink.gif
Anyone else ??

I think it will still do very good, but it's got some tough competition this time around and I'm not sure if Sony will come out #1 like this generation. Only time will tell.

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I have a feeling if you get your hands on one it'll be very difficult to convince yourself not to sell it at 3-4 times profit
biggrin.gif

I was really planning on doing this. Getting a couple PS3s and selling them on eBay for max profits. Yay capitalism!
biggrin.gif

Funny comic. I'd really like to see the PS3 succeed simply because I really loved the PS1/PS2, but it seems that every new piece of news that comes out makes it seem more likely that it'll fail. I just hope for the PS3's sake that Blu-Ray catches on and becomes the primary HD format...

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 20
I usually like to wait roughly a year before purchasing any major console. The system is much more enjoyable when the software catches up with the hardware. I made the mistake of buying the PSP too close to its release date, and we all know what happened with that.

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
the guy that draws that actually lives close to me, goes to the same anime/comic shop I do. Pretty cool guy, and I love the comics.

Ha, that's cool. VG Cats is one of my favorite webcomics. Definitely choice stuff. Remind me to sink myself to a new low by living vicariously through you sometime.

So now I know a guy who goes to the same comic store as Scott. I'm so cool now, which I need since there's not much I can do in regards to Steve Purcell while there are these pointless restraining orders that keep getting in the way.

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 20
$600 bones is a lot of money to blindly invest in technology that has yet to be proven, blu ray as a reliable mdedium so far has produced dissapointing and buggy results in the home theater world. I mean a blu ray PC drive that doesnt play blu ray movies? Sonys taking this anti-everything to a whole new level.

anyhow, with the pressure sony has to churn out as many of these they can before Christmas, I suspect QC to have some slips. I wouldnt be surprised if the ps3 launch may quite possibly be the most buggy and problematic system in the history of gaming.

I will wait at the minmum of a few months to see how reliable the system is.
ps3 wont fail because it is a playstation and will have games, however the blu ray format as a medium may very well go the way of the dodo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back