For the love of God...
Mar 25, 2006 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lmilhan

Headphoneus Supremus
EDIT: I will send $10 USD via Paypal to the first person who solves this problem for me.

PLEASE can someone save my sanity?

I have 3 computers on my network, all running windows XP pro. I had all of the computers happily networked, and easily sharing files/folders and printers. Somewhere along the line, I managed to hose one of the computers up to the point where the other computers on the network can no longer share folders/files wth the hosed computer.

No matter what I do to try and share folders from the hosed computer, the other computers on the network can not see the shared files and folders (from the hosed computer).

I can right click on a folder and share it with the network all day long, but none of the other computers can see this shared folder. Can anyone please advise me as to what I am doing wrong, and how to remedy this situation.

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 20
My suggestion: run the network setup program over and over on all of the computers until everything magically starts working again.

It's worked for me more than once...

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 20
Are you positive it's not a hardware problem? NICs do die now and then. You can swap in a cheapo PCI 10/100 card and see if that works. And sometimes ports die on routers and switches. If you have empty ports on yours, try switching to a different one. Couldn't hurt to swap the Ethernet cable itself (assuming you're not using WiFi) to see what happens.

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 20
I can right click on a folder on the hosed computer and select sharing and security... share the folder out. The folder I share out shows the 'hand icon' indicating that the folder is shared, but this shared folder does not appear in the 'my network places' on any of the computers on the network... this is driving my apes%^t. I am certain it is something really stupid/simple to fix, but it just isn't comming to me at the moment...

I am so POed right now that I am half tempted to format the dirve on the hosed PC and re-install the OS... but I would really like to avoid doing that if at all possible...

c/mon, I know someone wants my ten dollars!
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 20
Does your network card have Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks enabled?

Check by right Click My Network Places then properties. Then right click, properties on your network card.

------------------

Are your computers are on the same workgroup?

right click, properties on My computer. Go to tab called Computer Name. Workgroup name is there.

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 20
Try accessing the computer by using its IP address (\\"IP address") under Run or in Explorer.

Might be the integrated firewall also, turn it off and check the exceptions-tab.

Windows XP is kinda slow on updating network connections.

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 20
can you "ping" the bad machine's IP address from another machine thru the command line?

Did the workgroup name get messed up on the bad machine?

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 20
I had my computer hooked up with my roommates' and though I could see my roommates' computers from my computer, they could see mine only randomly. We double checked all settings and did the network installations over and over, but we ended up using an ftp server for file sharing instead. Strangely enough there was never any problems with printer sharing
confused.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 20
I've had that same problem. My dad's computer once misteriously dissapeard. Everyone knew it should be there, but we couldn't ping it and we couldn't access it. We all run Windows 2000. Then, somehow, he got it fixed or it fixed itself.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 20
In Windows Explorer right click on “My Computer”, then left click “Map Networkdrive”, then “Browse” -> “Microsoft Windows Network” -> Your Network -> PC -> -> Drive -> Folder -> “Finnish” in “Map Network Drive”.
Does it work?

Cheers
Kurt

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 20
this has happened a few times at my house and the only solution i've ever bee able to come up with is reformatting and reinstalling windows
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back