For Someone Who Enjoys PX100 Like Sound, What Is The Logical Upgrade?
Nov 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

AZ Greg

New Head-Fier
Ok, I need your help guys and gals!

I recently stepped out of the world of crappy headphones. I started modestly with some Sennheiser PX100s. Needless to say, I really like them. Their sound style, and from what I read, Sennheiser's style, really lends itself to not just music but also to watching videos. They lack that "harsh" feel that some other headphones I've used have. And watching videos on my PC is my primary use of headphones, so keep that in mind. Anyway, I'm ready to upgrade. I'm looking to spend $100 or less and get a noticeable improvement over my PX100s while maintaining that same sound style.

Based on the research I've done, The Sennheiser HD555 seems to be the logical choice, which I can grab on Amazon for about $100. The reviews I've read seem to indicate that it shares the same style as the PX100 with regards to videos.

So in short:

- Is that the best choice, based on my conditions, for under $100?
- If it is, will I notice a substantial sound quality increase?
- Any other suggestions? Please list any headphones that are under $100, share the sound style, and are better than the PX100s.

Thanks!
beyersmile.png

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on the research I've done, The Sennheiser HD555 seems to be the logical choice, which I can grab on Amazon for about $100. The reviews I've read seem to indicate that it shares the same style as the PX100 with regards to videos.

- Any other suggestions? Please list any headphones that are under $100, share the sound style, and are better than the PX100s.

Thanks!
beyersmile.png

I find the PX-100 to be preferable to the HD-595, which itself is essentially a better HD-555 (I could be wrong, though; never heard the 555 myself nor have I read anything about it recently). I think that your price limit is too low to get something similar but better - my advice is to stick with the PX-100 if you are not willing to go significantly higher in price (although I have nothing in mind here besides the Sennheiser HD-600, which would require an amp).

You could get a decent amp for less than $100, but I am not sure if one would do anything for the PX-100; I've only listened to PX-100 for several minutes with my Total Airhead amp.

Hopefully someone who knows more than me will help you out. I want to say, though, that the PX-100 is one of the best deals out there, so don't expect much of an upgrade even if you go for a $200 headphone. I personally don't find any of my other headphones to be better overall than my PX-100 (except for perhaps the Stax); just more expensive. It is pretty easy to waste money in this hobby.

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 30
I second the suggestion to get the HD600, they have the same Senn house sound. Don't set your budget at $100, you won't get much of a improvement. Hold on to that $100 and save a little more for the HD600. If you're on a tight budget, try to find a HD580. They are practically identical in terms of SQ to the HD600.

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 30
From my personal experience the closest would be the HD650. PX100 is a little more bassy (especially midbass), but the overall sound sig is pretty similar. HD600 of course won't be all that different from those two either.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 30
The PX100 is a super headphone for the price and I really believe you would be hard pressed to find something significantly better for <$100. I personally have the PX100, Grado SR-60 and Koss PortaPros. All are wonderful and hard to beat in the $40-$100 arena, IMHO. I agree on waiting, saving, and perhaps giving some other brands a listen. Don't forget your source is key in your listening chain.

Big-Ban: I don't want to alter the thread, but on a quick note, how is the AT HA25D? I have the HA20 and have considered picking up the HA25D for my laptop. Can you give a quick opinion on it?

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 30
I've been enjoying a newish pair of PX 100 (about 15 hours listening).

I also have HD 580 with headphile Gold cable.

Through the DAP only, no amp, I still prefer the HD 580. More detail, more space between instruments, more relaxed sounding, more treble and bass extension but less bass impact or "presnce" which I take to be more energy in the 2k -4k frequency range.

Don't know if the PX 100s require a lot of breakin... but those are the differences now. I would still pick the HD 580s even straight out of the DAP.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 30
i would say the Grados and the Alessandro MS-1.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in short:

Thanks!
beyersmile.png

The Sennheiser that sounds most similar to the PX100 is the HD650, but the sound quality of the PX100 is more on the level of the HD555. I really enjoyed the HD555 with movies when I had it. But later I bought and modded a JBL 410 (JBL410) Reference with a couple thin strips of foam, and now I enjoy it more than I did my PX100 and HD555 when I owned them. You may not find the HD555 a big enough jump up from the PX100.

I suggest considering the RP21 for ~$100 or the JVC RX900 for ~$60 with an inexpensive amp.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 30
Thanks for the responses. As I said before, I think I'll save up.

I do have another question, regarding the Grado SR60s. I have a friend who is looking to upgrade beyond crappy stock headphones. She is looking to spend around $60 or less. And like me, she will mostly be using the headphones to watch videos on her PC. She likes my PX100s, but neither of us have tried the SR60s. Since those are right at the $60 mark should she get them? Or are the PX100s better for PC video use? I've heard that the SR60s are "punchy," not really sure what that means, but it supposedly is better for Rock music. So, basically what I'm trying to get at is this: Do the SR60s perform well as PC video playing headphones? Better than the PX100s for that purpose? Thanks!

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 30
"Punch" meaning decent, tight bass... which, imho, is nice for watching videos. I prefer the SR60 just a hair over the PX100 but to travel with, the packable PX can't be beat, if size matters to you. Headroom has a good price on SR60 and you can test them for 30 days or return them for a full refund.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Punch" meaning decent, tight bass... which, imho, is nice for watching videos. I prefer the SR60 just a hair over the PX100 but to travel with, the packable PX can't be beat, if size matters to you. Headroom has a good price on SR60 and you can test them for 30 days or return them for a full refund.

Thanks for the link. She isn't really concerned about portability so that won't be something to worry about. How about durability? I know one of the things I don't like about my PX100s, and she didn't like about them either, is the rather flimsy build quality including the thin cord. The SR60s seem to be a little more substantial, is that accurate? One more thing, how about comfort? I know varying head sizes will play a role, but is the comfort issue overblown or accurate? Similar to the PX100s?

Again, thanks for the link, can't really go wrong with a 30 day return policy.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back