for some reason I want some sweet classical opera
Feb 26, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ScubaSteve87

1000+ Head-Fier
I just watched Shawshank Redemption. When Andy plays that opera over the lound speaker I was just gettin all tingly. So yeah now I got some sort of opera/classical with vocals bug going. Any good recs for a total newb? Not lookin for anything to uptight or anything. I want something romantic and emotional. Oh and if anyone happens to know what song is in the movie that would be pretty sweet too.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 14
Mozart: Marriage of Figaro was the opera heard in Shawshank.

I would not recommend it for a beginner however unless you really want it. For beginners, try shorter operas:

Leoncavallo: Il Pagliacci
Mascagni: Cavalliera Rusticana
Puccini: Gianni Schicci
Puccini: La Boheme
Humperdinck: Hansel & Gretel

Better yet, listen to the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts for free on Saturdays. That how many of us got our opera feet wet.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 14
Any of the later operas of Mozart (except Don Giovanni and probably La clemenza di Tito, though that one is all but out of the repertoire) will probably fit your bill. Also, Die Entführung aus dem Serail meets your criteria. In fact, I personally feel that Die Entführung aus dem Serail is as perfect a light opera as one could want. It has romance, drama, and a few rollicking moments.

Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg will likely please, but it is solidly in the Romantic musical idiom, which means it is far heavier than anything Mozart wrote. I'd wait on that.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 14
I believe that they use the Karl Boehm Nozze (Green Box
smily_headphones1.gif
)

B000001XNV.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You would be better off getting a recording of the arias and highlights from le Nozze di Figaro to start. Below is the recording of the highlights from Boehm's recording. I'm sure you will find your aria there and also others to enjoy.

B000001GDO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 14
I would not recommend buying an entire opera to get what you're looking for. I would start with a couple of "Greatest Aria" cds (Puccini, Verdi, Mozart) and if you find that you're still really enjoying it, go from there.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
I would not recommend buying an entire opera to get what you're looking for. I would start with a couple of "Greatest Aria" cds (Puccini, Verdi, Mozart) and if you find that you're still really enjoying it, go from there.

I second the motion. The Mozart operas already listed are a great place to start. Personally, I don't like the recommendation to listen to complete operas on the radio. I think sitting with a libretto in hand was the best way to start for me. Clearly that's not true of everyone, but its my vote.

Enjoy!

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
If you're feeling adventurous and wanna try something earlier, check out Purcell - Dido & Aeneas. It's in English and it's freaking hilarious.

oooh i might check that out.
thanks

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 14
Opera is a theatrical art so why not go for a DVD, where you can get the full effect of acting and music together, as well as have the lyrics supplied for you as you watch. The Marriage of Figaro is one of the greatest operas written, and its also totally approachable. You could try the Gardiner version on DVD:

B00005OATR.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And just to nitpick a little - Dido and Aeneas is basically a tragic opera and its final lament is anything but hilarious! But it is a great opera as well and has the advantage of brevity.

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
And just to nitpick a little - Dido and Aeneas is basically a tragic opera and its final lament is anything but hilarious! But it is a great opera as well and has the advantage of brevity.

That's true. Ok, 75% comedy, 25% tragedy. It's one of the most beautiful lament ever.

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 14
biggrin.gif
It is truly funny to me. Have you seen it? I was laughing all the way except for the end of course. The best performance of it i've attended was a combination of Harvard Baroque String Orchestra with Longy School of Music's Early Music Singers. The choreography (spelling?) of the singers and dancers were exceptional. The orchestra was amazing, conductorless i might add. It was truly an amazing performance first and foremost, even if the musicians aren't world-class. There was heart, which i definitely rate higher than technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back