For Sale/Trade - Posting Restrictions
May 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theodeo

New Head-Fier
It's a darn shame, ain't it?  About 8-9 months ago this forum was an extremely helpful resource when I was getting ready to upgrade from my [existing gear].  So helpful, in fact, that I didn't even need to create an account in order to ask additional questions, etc.  I just got the info I needed, purchased my new JH13 Pro's and life was good...

Fast forward to today (you know, the day AFTER the world ended :)  Was looking to do someone a solid - as in, pay it forward - by selling my [existing gear] at a nicely discounted price.  Well, I'm sure you can guess the rest of the story...new user, classified posting restriction of 30 DAYS and 15 posts. 

I mean, I get it.  I do.  Gotta weed out the scum of the world, right?  And I can live with some type of restriction but...30 days?  Really??  I'm curious, Mods, was it really that big of a problem for your site?  If so, maybe the world is going to heck faster than I thought...

And, NO, this is not a sneaky attempt to circumvent the rules.  It's really no biggie to sell the [previous gear] elsewhere.  I'm just a little bummed that I can't do my own small part to maybe acknowledge the generous contributions made by the knowledgeable people on this site who take their time to help others - like me!  Ah well, what you gonna do?  First Santa Claus, now this...     

May 23, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 4
Yup, it was a serious enough problem we had to add in restrictions. If it were just 15 posts, people would spam-post to get access just after joining, making it a worse problem.  Hence the 30 day rule.  I wouldn't consider it so bad though. When I was an admin on another forum, I made it 6 months membership and 100 posts, or 1 year membership and any number of posts (for the lurking types).

Wait...didn't you just say you signed up just to sell stuff? 
eek.gif

May 23, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Wait...didn't you just say you signed up just to sell stuff? 
eek.gif

No, I said I signed up to pay it forward.  And, forgive me but...on paper, at least, that last remark seems like unnecessary sarcasm.  If it's not, apologies for the misinterpretation.  Regardless, if all I wanted was "just to sell stuff" without question we both know there are much better places to do that.   

Beyond this obvious fact, I can only reiterate what I stated in my original message.  I was looking to do what I felt might be a good way to say "thanks" to the type of people who freely share their greater knowledge with others on sites like this and I ran into unexpected complications. 

Looks like I might have guessed incorrectly on the reasons behind those complications but, bottom line, it's your site and it sounds like your experience tells you that's the best way to handle such things.  Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! 

May 23, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 4
It's not my site as such (and I was being a bit silly in my post) but yes, it wasn't a casually thought-out idea.  The problem being a large site is that there are enough people around who only see Head-Fi as a target and not as a community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back