For Sale Forum Policy Vote
Nov 22, 2002 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
We need to decide which items to allow in the For Sale/Trade Forum. Should we limit it to only headphone related items? Audio/Video equipment in general? Just Audio equipment? Items related to audio/video/computer/electronic entertainment/music only or Anything and Everything?

This poll will only be open until midnight November 27 so make your vote count.

Nov 22, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 33
IMHO i prefer a free and open policy but with restrictions taking into consideration the ethics and legality and such so you don't end up with folks selling their organs or freeze dried pets...
eek.gif

Perhaps a catagory for miscellaneous items for sale would be workable...

Nov 22, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 33
Ummm... why would we want to restrict it? Is it a matter of server space?

Mark

Nov 23, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 33
If you make it completely open, you'll have people coming here just to sell crap that just isn't useful or interesting. It will become a haven for people who want to sell crap, or even pull sale scams.

Nov 23, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 33
Oh.. come one now... I don't think so. How many people know about this site? Just us headphone geeks.

If I want to sell something, I should be able to post it here. I've done lots of business on this site (all audio stuff), and have a very positive feedback section. I don't want to be restricted in what I can offer up.

Any fly-by-night scam artists with no history on this site, can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. It will take just as much effort to moderate the scam posts as any legitimate Member's "for sale" ad. Mods can surely use some judgement here-- no need for an outright ban!

Mark

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 33
Neil's got a very good point and it reminds me of a suggestion someone made a while back. (I'm sorry I don't remember who it was) A minimum post count requirement for posting a for sale ad. This could eliminate the "first post" for sale ads and keep those looking for a dumping ground away.

I'm for keeping it open, I know I'd like to give members here first crack at something I might sell instead of going to eBay. And I'd be comfortable buying non audio items from members here. Especially when I've done business with them before.

But I also understand this is not eBay. Many may feel non audio items do not belong here. And that's perfectly understandable, they really don't. I'd be fine with that too.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 33
I vote for an "audio gear" forum and an "everything else" forum.

If you're making a post that contains multiple items (such as MacDEF's Garage Sale) of both categories, it would go in the Audio Gear forum...

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 33
I can see there is of course a chance of abuse but really the same can be said of selling just audio related things. As Mark mentioned the people who would sell misc. items on Head-fi would very likely be the same people who are fellow community members thus they would be the same folks who would sell their audio related items here...i seriously doub't if someone outside of Head-Fi would come here (or even know of this place) just to sell their stuff, junk or not, or to scam people...Thoughs people would much more likely prefer e-bay or similar places with the mass exposure thoughs places provide...Sadly i think i remember cases where Head-Fi members got ripped off by another member so there is already a risk in any case but no worse than if misc. items were included...

But i can understand why folks would want only audio related items to be for sale being that this is obviously an audio geek site but i like looking for assorted items for sale and all things considered i would trust a fellow head-fi member far more than an outsider to sell to or buy from...

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 33
I vote for:

Limit the gear for sale/trade forum(s) to sales/trades of:

-A/V equipment (including: gaming hardware or PC hardware)

-Cables, tweaks, accessories, and power (all that reasonably falls under that forum title should be allowed)

-Music, videos, and electronic games

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 33
Has there been any real abuse. Maybe you are looking for a solution where there is no problem.

Nov 23, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
Neil's got a very good point and it reminds me of a suggestion someone made a while back. (I'm sorry I don't remember who it was) A minimum post count requirement for posting a for sale ad. This could eliminate the "first post" for sale ads and keep those looking for a dumping ground away.

smily_headphones1.gif

I really like the idea of a minimum post requirement.

I voted also.

Nov 24, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 33
There is still an open post here selling a bike!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
What the heck is that? Why not going to a bike forum, for sure we can find more forums related with bikes that with audio gear, THIS ONE HAS TO BE RESTRICTED TO AN AUDIO EQUIPMENT ONLY (AND RELATED THINGS) of course a garage sale including multiple things is OK, but has to include at least some audio equipment, if you have a bike radio, and want to sell it here, is ok, but a bike and not even with an antenna, Jesus this is completelly unaceptable for me, go to eBay or half.com or wherever but here!!! there are a lot of places designed for that purpose, sometimes for listing of a lot of crap, we miss the oportunity of seeing a good offer in the first page..................of course I will accept whatever the mayority decided, so please go ahead and vote!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

and about the feedback forum? wow!!! well the only time it was use in my case was almost against me, now this guy fix it but after a whole page who is gonna read the conclusion, nobody....and just for trying to be helpful with an ignorant...
the next case, following their posts I'm now dealing with a member, that behind a nice feedback, completelly ruined a transaction that should be peacefull for both, now I'm waiting for the merchandise for more than 15 days when I paid by paypal to be ship only by priority mail and stated like that on the message included with the payment, of course will use this feature after I receive the merchandise, (if at the end I do) but what I will get later at the end? A negative feedback as a response without any reason from a "trusty" seller??? of course this is not fair, that's why I do not believe in feedbacks.....but is the way this system works on the net.

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 33
It's funny that many of you who are in favor of restricting the for sale forum think some non-audio items like computer equipment, games, etc, should be allowed. Why? Those are no more relevent to our hobby than bicycling. Is it just because you guys would actually sell that kind of stuff here?

kerely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back